• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave 598 Birding List 2016 (1 Viewer)

dave598

United States
Okay all the bug has me or I should say the Bird has me. I took the wife out yesterday with me and we went to one of the parks and I managed to get a couple of hours in before she started wanting to leave because she did not have the patience to sit there.

So here is my list, I will start with yesterday and include all of the ones I have seen up to today in the list.

1. Ross's goose, Chen rossii
2. Canada Goose, Branta canadensis
American wigeon, Anas americana
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos
5. Redhead, Aythya americana
6. Ring-necked duck, Aythya collaris
7. Lesser scaup, Aythya affinis
8. Gambel's quail, Callipepla gambelii
9. Double-crested cormorant, Phalacrocorax auritus
10. Green heron, Butorides virescens
11. Chinese Goose MAKING CORRECTION ON THIS ONE SEE LATER IN THE LIST FOR THE CORRECTION.
[FONT=&quot]Black-crowned night heron, Nycticorax nycticorax

I will add more later today as I am getting ready to head out. Going to a couple of new parks to see what I can find.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hey all I have finally finished putting my list together. Sorry it took so long.

I will start from today listing what birds I see when I go out.

[FONT=&quot]American Coot[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Canada Goose[/FONT]
Chinese Goose MAKING CORRECTION ON THIS ONE SEE LATER IN THE LIST FOR THE CORRECTION.
[FONT=&quot]Mallard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rock DOVE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Redhead[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Killdeer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NORTHERN SHOVELER [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ring-necked Duck[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great-tailed Grackle (FEMALE)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Muscovy Duck [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sebastopol Goose[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE (MALE)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mourning Dove[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brewer's Blackbird[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Double-crested Cormorant[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]American Wigeon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]House Sparrow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gambel's Quail[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WHITE CRESTED DUCK[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Northern Mockingbird[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Say's Phoebe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lesser Scaup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Green Heron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duclair duck WM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Black-crowned Night-Heron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ross's Goose[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Canvasback[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Common Merganser[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ring-billed Gull[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Snowy Egret[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eared Grebe[/FONT]

Last edited:
I know that I have not been keeping up my list but I thought I would start it again with a photo list and work through all of the photos I have not posted in the Gallery and work on the list from those on my computer.

If I make a mistake on a bird let me know and I will correct it.

I am going to go Alphabetical out of my Birding Folder on My Computer so I am going to start with the following:

American avocet

I have only seen this bird twice once at:

Clark County Wetlands Park--April 2, 2016

And once at:

Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve May 21, 2016

Both times they were in the shallows of the ponds and at CCWP they were in the very shallow pond that is set up for those type of birds

Attachments

• American avocet WM RS 0001.jpg
    American avocet WM RS 0001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 63
  • American avocet WM RS 0002.jpg
    American avocet WM RS 0002.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 80
Up next is the:

American Coot

This is a very common bird as I have seen it at every park and wildlife area except for the Wildlife Habitat at the Flamingo.

I do love to watch them squabble among themselves though.

Attachments

• American Coot 0001 rs.jpg
    American Coot 0001 rs.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 66
American Wigeon

I first saw this beautiful bird as I was just getting serious about bird watching.

I saw my first one on March 12, 2016

The second one that I have a photo of this bird is on March 25, 2016

Attachments

• American Wigeon wm rs 0001.jpg
    American Wigeon wm rs 0001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 75
  • AMERICAN WIGEON WM RS 0002.jpg
    AMERICAN WIGEON WM RS 0002.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 76
Black-crowned Night Heron

Of all of the photos I have taken of the beautiful birds that grace the Las Vegas Valley this is one of the ones that was the hardest and yet easiest to get. Yet it was 99 percent luck on my part, as I was at the right place at the right time.

I shot this one at Floyd Lamb Park in Northwest Las Vegas.

March 19, 2016

I saw this bird only one other time and that was May 21, 2016 at Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve and he was pretty well hidden in tall water brush.

Attachments

• Black-crowned Night Heron RS WM 0001.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron RS WM 0001.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0008.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0008.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0009.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0009.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 83
Black-necked Grebe

This one is also fairly common in Las Vegas as I have seen it at almost all of the Parks and Preserve areas of town.

Attachments

• Black-necked Grebe WM RS 0001.jpg
    Black-necked Grebe WM RS 0001.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 75
Wow! Three great shots of this Night Heron Dave!

Hey KC thank you, like I said this is one of my all time favorites. I believe this weekend this will be one of the ones that I get printed off and hang on the wall in the living room.

Black-necked Stilt

The Black-necked Stilt is one that I have only seen at the Clark County Wetlands park and the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve.

They are very beautiful birds and I have a couple of photos of them that I took at the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve that I will post once I finish running them through Photoshop.

Attachments

• Black-necked Stilt WM RS 0001.jpg
    Black-necked Stilt WM RS 0001.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 70
Brewer's Blackbird

This is one that I took back in March of this year. It is a Brewer's Blackbird and I am pretty sure this is the one and only time I have seen it. The photo was taken at Sunset Park I believe.

Attachments

• BREWER'S BLACKBIRD WM RS.jpg
    BREWER'S BLACKBIRD WM RS.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 69
Canada Goose

This is one of the most common birds in the Las Vegas Valley, they are at every park and most of them are hams and beggar's. A couple of weeks ago I went to Sunset Park and stopped for breakfast at the McDonald's across the street and I no more sat down at one of the picnic tables and unwrapped my sandwich and I had five or six of these beautiful birds begging for a piece of bread. One even came up on the table.

I have been as close to them as a foot and some will just look at me and some will hiss and let me know that they are in charge of their area. I one time was at Floyd Lamb Park and walked quietly and gently in the middle of a large group of young that were feeding and the adults watched me carefully and the babies did nothing more than eat. I got to a point where I got down on my knees and sat there and watched the babies and when I look next to me there were a couple of adults within a couple of feet of me but they relaxed when all I did was watch and shoot photos. I think that if I would have tried to hurt one of the babies I would have been in a world of hurt.

I do have more shots of these beautiful birds and of the babies and will post them when I finish going through all of my photos in photoshop.

Attachments

• CANADA GOOSE HEADSHOT  WM 0001 rs.jpg
    CANADA GOOSE HEADSHOT WM 0001 rs.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 82
  • GEESE FAMILY UNIT WM RS 0001.jpg
    GEESE FAMILY UNIT WM RS 0001.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 73
Canvasback Duck

I have seen a few of these babies.

I have seen them at Sunset Park, Floyd Lamb Park, CCWL Park, HBVP, and at Cornerstone Park.

Attachments

• CANVASBACK WM RS 0001.jpg
    CANVASBACK WM RS 0001.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 65
Domestic Mallard---Indian Runner Duck

Okay this is one of the newest and I have only seen this bird one time and that was out at Cornerstone Park in Henderson. This park I did not know even existed till this past week when I read a review of the place. I was out there about 4 hours and walked completely around the lake and there were numerous birds and even a few like this one that I had never seen.

Thank you to Nutcracker for the ID on this beautiful bird. I saw this bird on 28-May-2016 would also like to thank fugl for the additional information on this bird. It is a Indian Runner Duck.

Attachments

• IMG_3588 WM RS.jpg
    IMG_3588 WM RS.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Common gallinule

When I was out at the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve a couple weeks ago I saw this bird feeding on the shore and in the vegetation growing around the pond. At a distance it looked very much like a American Coot and I almost paid the bird no attention but took a second look at it. Seeing that it was different I took a few photos of it.

I am glad i did.

Attachments

• Common gallinule WM RS 0001.jpg
    Common gallinule WM RS 0001.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Common gallinule WM RS 0002.jpg
    Common gallinule WM RS 0002.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 79
Common Merganser

I saw this beauty at Craig Ranch Regional Park. It was one of those days that I should have stayed away as it was the Saturday before Easter and the place was mobbed with people and kids. This was the best sighting of the trip to the park.

Attachments

• Common Merganser WM RS 0001.jpg
    Common Merganser WM RS 0001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 60
Double-crested Cormorant

Last one for tonight. Have to work in the morning.

I see these birds at least once a week, mainly at Sunset Park, CCWL Park, and Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve. I can add Cornerstone Park to that list as there were three of them there when I was there Saturday.

They always seem so laid back while they sit there with their wings spread out and they sit like they are frozen in time.

Attachments

• DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANT WM RS 0001.jpg
    DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANT WM RS 0001.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 75
  • Double-crested Cormorants WM RS 0001.jpg
    Double-crested Cormorants WM RS 0001.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Duclair duck

This is one of those babies that is not listed on any of the Birding Check Lists for the area but I have seen them in a few locations. Floyd Lamb Park, Sunset Park, even the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve.

They are not as common as some but they are a beautiful bird.

Attachments

• Duclair duck WM RS.jpg
    Duclair duck WM RS.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 61
Hybrid Mallard

Here is a Hybrid Mallard. I see a lot of these in Las Vegas as probably everybody does through out the world. They are at all of the parks and wetlands here in Vegas.

Attachments

• MALLARD PEKING DUCK HYBRID WM RS 0001.jpg
    MALLARD PEKING DUCK HYBRID WM RS 0001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
Black-crowned Night Heron

I have seen this bird at two of the good parks for bird watching:

Floyd Lamb Park 3-19-2016
Henderson Bird Watching Preserve 5-21-2016

Both times they have been fleeting sightings and at Floyd Lamb Park I lucked out and was able to get the shot of the day.

Attachments

• Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0001.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0001.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0012.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0012.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0010.jpg
    Black-crowned Night Heron WM RS 0010.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread