• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittern at Barnes (1 Viewer)

Leif

I was at Barnes on Sunday (the WWT centre, inside London) and saw a large group of birders blocking the path. Turns out that a bittern was sitting in the reeds. A marvellous site, and not far from central London too! Odd behaviour: standing still with its beak vertical!

The place is well worth a visit, but expensive unless you join.

Leif,
a few of us went up to london from Devon to birdwatch this weeked (sounds daft I know). we were going to visit Barnes but decided on Lee Valley instead.
we briefly saw a Bittern flying out of the reeds at the Bittern hide and were lucky to get Smew and a little owl.
I'm told that Barnes is well woth visiting and I am a WWT member (even if I cannot always remember what the initials stand for-not the one that Prince Phillip is the patron of), so I must try it out.

Did you see much else 'wild'-birdwise?

Padraig.

Hi Leif - we joined WWT just recently, and Barnes is going to be the first place we visit. Do you know if the bittern is to be seen there regularly, or was it just paying a flying visit?

PS - Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust

Last edited:
I think the Bittern has been present for a while, so you should be in luck. We have one (probably 2 tho one is permit only) at Tongwell lake, in Milton Keynes that at around 4 most days climbs up the reeds and sits in the open.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Hi Leif - we joined WWT just recently, and Barnes is going to be the first place we visit. Do you know if the bittern is to be seen there regularly, or was it just paying a flying visit?

PS - Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust

I understand that it is a resident and there might be more than one. However, I am sure that the Barnes WWT web site will have updates. Dinton Pastures near Reading also has a Bittern, or at least it did a week ago. I keep turning up at these places to be told "We saw a Bittern 5 minutes ago".

Padraig said:
Leif,
a few of us went up to london from Devon to birdwatch this weeked (sounds daft I know). we were going to visit Barnes but decided on Lee Valley instead.
we briefly saw a Bittern flying out of the reeds at the Bittern hide and were lucky to get Smew and a little owl.
I'm told that Barnes is well woth visiting and I am a WWT member (even if I cannot always remember what the initials stand for-not the one that Prince Phillip is the patron of), so I must try it out.

Did you see much else 'wild'-birdwise?

Padraig.

To behonest the Bittern was the highlight for me. However I saw the usual Snipe, Gadwall, Widgin, Teal, Littel Grebe etc. Someone reported a Water Rail but I couldn't find it. I have previously seen an Avocet and a Jack Snipe (spotted by others!) and Little Ringed Plovers appear each Summer and are easy to see. Ring necked Parakeets are dead easy to see (look in the trees near the car park). They are a very common feature of the London area.

Stockers Lake just off the M25 (north west) is also good for Smew, Goldeneye, Goosander, Red Crested Pochard and no doubt others.

Also Red Kites seem to be spreading and I see them in the Reading and Slough areas, but not Barnes AFAIK.

Last edited:
North East Bittern - Low Barns

Cracking bird on show here too!

Its in a small area of Reedmace, most times its on view within ten mins, as the vegetation is so limited.

Last year it was often seen walking about in the open....amazing!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back