• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day at the Cricket (1 Viewer)

Gorgon

Spent a nice relaxing day at the Sydney Cricket Ground watching the first day of Steve Waugh's last test and India make 3/284. While sitting in the stand saw the following birds flying around the ground:

Welcome Swallow
White Ibis
Nankeen Kestrel (four birds were flying together at one time)
Indian Myna
Feral Pigeon
Silver Gull
Darter
Australian Pelican
Rainbow Lorikeet
Common Starling
Australian Raven

Not bad for a suburban stadium with 44000 people in it.
Cheers,
Peter

C'mon India, you can do it, c'mon India. Sorry I seem to have got off track...

Interesting list Peter, but what on Earth were a Darter and an Australian Pelican doing at the SCG? The others I can understand. Was the outfield unusually damp?

E

Edward said:
Was the outfield unusually damp?
With India 284 for 3, if it was the Aussie bowlers couldn't take advantage.

Nice list. Glad to see I'm not the only one who birds while watching cricket.

Wish I was with you Gordon, Keep us posted with the list and score , should be quite an occasion as long as you don't add a Duck of any sort to that list.

Well as much as it grieves me to say it. Hope Steve Waugh does well in his last test. He's been a great player over the years.

Edward said:
C'mon India, you can do it, c'mon India. Sorry I seem to have got off track...

Interesting list Peter, but what on Earth were a Darter and an Australian Pelican doing at the SCG? The others I can understand. Was the outfield unusually damp?

E
And the ibis too - shouldn't that also be in some remote, undisturbed wetland somewhere?

Michael

The SCG is located next to the Centennial Parklands which have a number of wetlands. A single Darter and Pelican both flew over the ground while a constant stream of Ibis flew back and forth over the ground to a breeding colony in the park. White Ibis are rapidly becoming an urban bird, feeding at rubbish tips and scavenging in parks - a lot of people are starting to call for their numbers to be reduced in Sydney, but at the moment with the effects of the drought still lingering, the largest colonies in NSW occur in the Sydney urban area.
I am not going today, but am returning tomorrow so will add any new species in the evening (as well as report on Steve Waugh's progress - though the media here is driving me mad with hero worship)
Cheers,
Peter

Sssh. I can't say this out loud!
Although I have a great admiration for Steve Waugh, I would secretly like India to win this test match. The Aussies have been top dogs for too long and need a bit of a comeuppance.
They are just about to start the second day so I hope India can hold on for long enough to at least give the Aussies a fright.

Gorgon said:
I am not going today, but am returning tomorrow so will add any new species in the evening (as well as report on Steve Waugh's progress - though the media here is driving me mad with hero worship)
Cheers,
Peter

Hero worship, Peter? You don't know the half of it. It's been impossible to open a British paper since November without reading an article about Jonny Wilkinson and even though I'm a Pom and was as happy as the next man to win that game, I'm still glad I can withdraw into the Icelandic press (where rugby is totally unknown) for a break from the deification of English sportsmen! Watch him get slaughtered by the British press if he has a few bad games this spring.

Re urban ibises. My first White Ibis was seen in a small busy park in central Brisbane, lots of people around but it was quite unconcerned.

E

As I write India are 639 for 5. I think that is spoiling Steve Waugh's farewell. Shame really, I think we was one of the good guys.

On my only trip to Sydney (for business) I used to enjoy my early morning walks in the Botanic gardens and to see the ibises etc. I'd love to go back one day.

Returned to the ground again today - Score now India 7/705 dec and Australia 6/342 - looking like a follow on is very likely and Steve Waugh will really struggle to win this one.
Added a few species at the ground:
Magpie-lark
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Little Pied Cormorant
Spotted Turtle-dove
Parked further away from the ground and also saw walking on the way:
Willie Wagtail
Noisy Miner
Crested Pigeon
Australian Figbird
Cheers,
Peter

I was once playing cricket for a village side, an evening cup match. We batted first, it dragged on, we were still fielding as the light fell. During the last over I noticed, through the gloom, a Tawny Owl perched on the boundary fence! Can't remember the result.
Best bird on my cricket list was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back