• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little walk down the lane (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
After the rain had cleared this morning I decided to go on a little walk down a local nature reserve called Wyver lane (Tim Allwood knows where I mean).

The first birds to greet me was a small flock of 6 Long Tailed Tits flitting around the tree tops. A bit further down was a single Goldcrest.

On scanning the River Derwent with my bins I spotted a flock of Geese, a quick count gave me 36 Greylags and one Pink-footed, also sailing by was a couple of Mute Swans.

The pool itself which isn't that big looked quite active so I made my way into the hide and settled down.

On the pool itself was..

187 Black Headed Gulls
1 Common Gull
6 Tufted Ducks
5 Pochards
80+Mallards
50+Teal
50+Wigeon
2 Coots
2 Moorhens
Grey Heron
Goosander (drake)

When the Greylags decided to land on the pool things got a bit congested...and by that time it was time to walk back home.

The usual suspects was on the lane on the way back, including...

Robins
Blackbirds
Wrens
Blue Tits
Great Tits
Coal Tits
Chaffinches

A pleasant afternoon was had by all.

Billy Boy

Hiya Billy

goosanders were extremely rare there back in the 90s
they've moved down the derwent further each year

well done with the Pink-foot
never saw one of those there
did have a Bean once though...

Hiya Tim, the Goosander has been a regular of late so it would be nice if it stayed around. I was surprised as anyone with the Pink Footed but it didn't look right on it's own.

Billy Boy

Billy

ever tried walking round the water? Gets very good right round by the river

Sedge and Reed Warblers if you're lucky plus chance of a wader or two inspring and autumn

Crossbills have occurred by the Rifle Range wall in the conifers at the end of the road?

PS Buzzards never occurreed there either when I was a regular. You're lucky these days!

It's supposed to be out of bounds around the water although some folk still walk round.

I did see a Sedge Warbler down there, but that was 18 months ago. Several Snipe and the odd Redshank was down there this summer but now the pool is full they're no where to be seen.

I always have a walk down past the rifle range to see what's about....I've never seen a Crossbill though...that would be nice.

Buzzards are quite regular around there now...especially around Handley woods.

Billy Boy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back