• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand Feeding Robin (1 Viewer)

It is always lovely when something unexpected happens when you are out birding as we found last weekend when a Robin ate some bread from our hand for the first time. This happened at the nature reserve in Budleigh Salterton, Devon. After following us along the path for some time, we noticed he was getting closer and didn't seem at all afraid of us. Luckily we had some food with us and after a couple of experimental flights in and out he eventually settled and fed. We have seen this in books but never expected it would happen to us!

A great day all round as we had close up views of Grey Heron, Buzzard and a Green Woodpecker also.

Makes you glad to be a birder!

Scott

The robins at RSPB Ynys-hir will also feed from your hand. The chaffinchs look as if they want to but will only go to the food if you back off a few feet. The grey squirrels just tidy the leftovers up!

AndyC

scottandsam said:
It is always lovely when something unexpected happens when you are out birding as we found last weekend when a Robin ate some bread from our hand for the first time. This happened at the nature reserve in Budleigh Salterton, Devon. After following us along the path for some time, we noticed he was getting closer and didn't seem at all afraid of us. Luckily we had some food with us and after a couple of experimental flights in and out he eventually settled and fed. We have seen this in books but never expected it would happen to us!

A great day all round as we had close up views of Grey Heron, Buzzard and a Green Woodpecker also.

Makes you glad to be a birder!

Scott

Scott, that sounds like a wonderful day to me!
I have whiskey jacks (gray jays) here will hand feed but they are the only ones. They've been doing it for years (except for Baby who will only walk up to me and bite my foot if I don't feed him fast enough!)
The chickadees here have thought about it and it's been close with a red breasted nuthatch but no takers just yet.
Sure is an amazing feeling when they trust you that much tho'.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back