• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interpreting bat data viewed in Kaleidoscope (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi
Last night I went out to my local patch in Merseyside with an EM3 bat detector. There were bats everywhere, I thought Soprano and Common Pipistrell, Daubenton's and Noctule. I've downloaded the data collected and am in the process of analysing it. This is the first time I've used Kaleidoscope, and I wondered if anybody could take a look at the attached images and advise me how they would interpret them. It was a very busy night, with several bats flying at all times, some over the water, some around the trees.

The 3 images are all from the same .wav file. Kaleidoscope has automatically assigned ESPE (Serotine bat) to the file, but as you can see there was lots of other activity. So I can see on the first image PIPI.0 (Common Pipistrelle), RHHI.4 (Lesser Horseshoe!), MYsp.2 (Mytois species, Daubenton's??), BABA.3 (Western Barbastelle). On the second image NYLE.3 (Lesser Noctule), NYNO.3 (Common Noctule) and ESPE.0 (Serontine). I notice that ESPE is highlighted.
Finally, the third image is very busy with lots of overlap, but ESPE is highlighted again.

Is Kaleidoscope saying that Serotine is the strongest signal, and all of the others were present but not as strong? Does the number after each species indicate the likelyhood? e.g. ESPE.0 = almost definate Serontine, RHHI.4 = possible Lesser Horseshoe.

If it is saying that Serotine is the strongest signal, then presumably on a busy night, probably the only way to prove that Brown long-eared bat was present, would be to go through each file manually and look for PLAUR.0, because that species would drowned out on most occasions?

Thanks for any help

Colin

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 154
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 157
  • screen3.jpg
    screen3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 136
hi

Hi Colin

Ive used Kaleidoscope on alot of bat data over the summer and to be honest i didnt find it very accurate. I found it identified several bats wrongly and like you say only picked out the strongest signal, so although for example i had barbs, lhs and common pips in the one file, Kaleidoscope only picked out the common pip as it had the strongest call.

I wont be using Kaleidoscope to assess my bat data in the future until more work has been carried out on solving these issues.

I also dont see any horseshoes on your first image because this species echo locate at a higher frequency than you have showing in the pic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted the original message I've used Kaleidoscope on several other occasions and have spoken to several experienced bat workers.

Whilst I like the idea of Kaleidoscope and hope that it does improve in the next few years, I have to say that I have very little faith in it at present. It's ok for pips, but I've seen and heard (on the heterodyne) lots of Noctules, only to find that Kaleidoscope tells me that only one has been recorded. Likewise, I see lots of Daubenton's feeding low over the water, even rippling the water on occasions, yet Kaleidoscope tells me that there was only one myotis sp. present. Yet on the same night it might tell me that there were 2 Serotines and a Barabastelle, both very rare (or even absent) species in my area!

I'm thinking of getting the new bat app for iPhone when it comes out (later this year). Hopefully that will take Kaleidoscope to a new level (a higher level I hope!).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back