• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In doubt about what bino's to get! (1 Viewer)

Bird-Nerds

I've got a pair of Nikon bino's which are 10x42 Monarch.

I'm going bird watching to Extremadura during the end of April with my wife & she hasn't got any binoculars so I'm going to have to give her mine! Now I don't see the point of buying myself the same pair, as she might not come bird watching with me ever again! Ideally I'd love to upgrade and purchase a pair of Swarovski bino's but at the moment they're well out of my reach (financially) so I'll have to settle on something just a bit better than my Nikon one's.

What's the best thing for me to buy in the region of £300 - £400?

I checked out the Steiner Skyhawk Pro 10x42 as they're within my budget. Does anyone have these? Would you recommend them?

Please help!

I've got a pair of Nikon bino's which are 10x42 Monarch.

I'm going bird watching to Extremadura during the end of April with my wife & she hasn't got any binoculars so I'm going to have to give her mine! Now I don't see the point of buying myself the same pair, as she might not come bird watching with me ever again! Ideally I'd love to upgrade and purchase a pair of Swarovski bino's but at the moment they're well out of my reach (financially) so I'll have to settle on something just a bit better than my Nikon one's.

What's the best thing for me to buy in the region of £300 - £400?

I checked out the Steiner Skyhawk Pro 10x42 as they're within my budget. Does anyone have these? Would you recommend them?

Please help!

Bird-Nerd,

Sounds like you're looking to upgrade to a better quality 10x42ish bin, correct?

Although I have not personally tried the Zen Ray 10x43 ED2, the reviews seem very favorable, and if they are like the upgraded 7x36 ED2, you'd be hard pressed to find a better buy, and it's actually priced below your $500-$600 budget.

Since Gibraltar is outside the customs union and VAT area, besides shipping, it won't cost you and arm and leg with added charges.

Zen Ray's Website states that it ships to EU countries, but given Gibraltar's special status as a UK "territory," you should contact ZR before ordering.

Check out the features and specs:

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=252

And check out the reviews on BF if you can find them (probably buried in 8x and 7x36 ED2 threads).

Here are two short reviews on SWFA:

http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-10x43-Zen-ED2-Binocular-P41885.aspx

I had to look up Extremadura (I thought it was a really bad head trauma :). After finding where it was, it sounds like a great place for birding.

http://www.extremadurabirding.co.uk/

Btw, if you want to attain full status as a Bird-Nerd, you must wear a bino-harness. :)

Bino-Nut

Gareth,

Buy yourself a pair of Canon 10x30 IS image stabilized binoculars (around € 300.-) and the Monarch 10x42's will not even be used anymore; you'll both be fighting to use the steady and bright 10x30's; viewing as if the bins are on a tripod, a whole new sensation you'd like to try...

Best regards,

Ronald

Gareth,

Buy yourself a pair of Canon 10x30 IS image stabilized binoculars (around € 300.-) and the Monarch 10x42's will not even be used anymore; you'll both be fighting to use the steady and bright 10x30's; viewing as if the bins are on a tripod, a whole new sensation you'd like to try...

Best regards,

Ronald

I agree with Ronald.
I have never once regretted buying them and if they did ever break, I would buy them again in a heart beat.

Gareth,

Best regards,

Ronald

Second that.

I concur with the 7x36 ZEN ED2 recommendation. It seems to offer better image than my 8x ED1. Not sure if it is because of 7x or ED2 itself.

I concur with the 7x36 ZEN ED2 recommendation. It seems to offer better image than my 8x ED1. Not sure if it is because of 7x or ED2 itself.

I think it is more the combination of the better depth of focus and the slightly wider field of the 7x36. I wound up replacing both my 8x ED and ED 2 with this and I think this is the reason.

Maybe the newer version is better but I hated my Zenray 7x36 EDII's. Focus was bearly usable and I had a bad glare problem. The FOV on them to me didn't feel as wide as advertised either. It seemed almost tunnel like say compared to the Nikon EII's. I was never that impressed with the quality or workmanship on them either and forget the eyecups and case and strap. Pretty cheesy! It could be the newer version is better but I would have to see one to make me change my mind. Mine were traded on a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FL's. I would MUCH rather have either the Nikon Monarch 10x42 or Canon 10x30 IS which I feel are both way superior. That's my opinion though.

Last edited:
Having used both versions of the ZR 7x36 EDII, I can say unequivocally that EDII v 2.0 is much improved over the original. But I can understand Dennis' gripes with the first version.

The flare problem is greatly improved from the first version. I only see a bit of flaring if I have the bin pointed in the direction of the sun and only when the bin is at a right angle to the sun. Tilt it slightly up and down and the flare disappears. It also disappears faster turning right or left of the sun than on the first version.

The focuser on the first version took me two fingers to turn, and it turned harder in one direction than the other (like some Swaros I've tried). But now, the focuser turns buttery smooth and it also has more focus travel past infinity than the first pair.

I haven't measured the FOV for accuracy, though I haven't read any technical reports of it being less than advertised. The issue with the FOV seems to be a matter of getting the eyecups close enough to your eyes.

The 9* FOV requires wide EPs and then you have the twist up eyecups over them. I have deep set eyes and with the eyecups all the way up, I can't see the entire FOV. OTOH, with the eyecups all the way, I also don't see the field curvature or pincushion at the edges, so it's a blessing and a curse.

With the eyecups half way down, I can see pretty much the entire FOV, but due to my deep set eyes, I need to have the eyecups set at the first click stop to see the entire FOV and that close, blackouts can sometimes be an issue.

Also, the eyecups on the newer version actually stay put unlike my first sample, which had one eyecup that collapsed when I pushed too hard on it. However, if you have flat facial features, neither of these problems will be an issue for you.

The image is remarkably "clean". No CA in the centerfield and you have to really look for it at the edges and then only under high contrast situations. Colors are vibrant and amazingly sharp. For a 7x bin, the detail will surprise you.

And no matter how I pick up the bins, my hands always fall in a position that's comfortable and stable. The views are very steady, thanks to the 7x and excellent ergonomics. They are also light at 23 oz.

Best of all, they show a good 3-D effect for a roof. In fact, comparing them to my 8x30 EII, I get better separation of objects with the ZR than the EII.

I was watching a bird over some people who were talking on a street corner, with one person standing in front of the other two people, closer to me. With the EII, it looked like the guy with his back to me was standing on the other two people's toes. With the ZR, I could tell he was a few feet back from them. You don't typically get that kind of depth perception in roofs. Being a porro fan, this is what makes the 7x36 ED2 really outstanding to me.

The only criticism I have is the degree of pincushion a bit too much for my taste. At a distance, it is hardly noticeable, but at close distances while panning or tilting up and down a tree line, I can see a noticeable scrolling effect, similar to "rolling ball" (except over a negative surface instead of a positive one).

Whether or not people see this or if it bothers them varies from person like bins with "rolling ball" (from the lack of pincushion).

If you can live with the pincushion and a bit of distortion (field curvature) at the edges, I don't think you will find a better image out there for the price.

However, it seems that you prefer 10x bins. The only 10x bin that I like for birding is the 10x35 EII - 7* FOV, very sharp images, and fairly compact. I'm not sure if these are available in Europe. Someone recently posted a thread about one being available over here from a store. They are not waterproof, which might be an issue.

My hands are too shaky for 10x, I have to mount them to truly benefit from the higher resolution.

I tried a 10x42 Monarch with the dielectric coatings a couple months ago, and from memory, they were brighter than the regular Monarchs I tried at another sporting goods store. The handling was better than I expected. I don't they changed the ergonomics, but they seemed to have grown on me. I'd still prefer the 8x42s for better DOF and stability.

Two other bins I would recommend (I have a feeling of deja vu) are the Pentax 8x36 NV and the Vortex 8x42 Fury. Whether or not the 10x versions would be just as good, I don't know, but both of these bins represent a very good value for the money.

Better hurry up and decide, April is just around the corner! (I hope so, this snow day after snow day is wearing thin).

Brock

Straps and cases are a matter of taste. I like the strap and the plastic shell zippered case is more protective than my EII's leathette case, which doesn't seal, because you fold over the top and fasten it to a Velcro pad.

Zen Ray ED2

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I went ahead and purchased the Zen Ray ED2 bino's from US.

Having received them and used them already I can confirm that they are excellent, a lot better than my former Nikon Monarch 10 x 42 bino's as they are clearer.

My father also has the Nikon Monarch bino's and having tried out my Zen Ray he is also keen to purchase a pair and will do so soon!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice. I really appreciate all of your feedback!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back