• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Nice ten hour shift (excluding dinner) today. Which brought me limping to an UW year total of 99, had the Ringed Plover and a Raven (flying through the adventure centre by the sailing pool), still no Hobby.

Also saw a teneral male Broad Bodied Chaser whilst looking for the Garden Warbler

Monday 2nd May

Summary of today's sightings as follows:

FLASHES
Wood Sand (this morning only), Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel (kept dropping in and out during the day), Ringed Plover, 10 LRP, 16 Avocet, 2 Snipe, 5 Common Sand, 4 Shoveler, 1 Gadwall, 2 Shelduck, 2 Oyk, 16 Tufted Duck, female White Wag, Yellow Wag over. Raven over the Sailing Pool.

MOORS POOL
1 Arctic Tern, 16 Common Tern, 2 LRP, 2 Snipe, 3 Oyk, 1 Common Sand, 8 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 28 Tufted Duck, 1 Shelduck, 1 Gadwall, 3 Cormorant, 20+ Swift, male Yellow Wagtail over, escaped Ross's Goose early morning only.

Can confirm that the Lapwing and LRP have abandoned at the Moors Pool.

Further to post #4926 I have been supplied with the history of a further ringed Black-headed Gull, 20C9, observed at the Flashes on the 2nd March 2011:

Black-headed Gull – White 20C9
EX30109 1 07/06/2010 Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
VV 27/06/2010 Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire) 20 days
VV 30/06/2010 Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire) 23 days
RR 01/07/2010 Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire) 24 days
VV 02/03/2011 Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire) 120km NW 268 days

VV alive and prob healthy, ring or colour marks read in the field, not by ringer
RR alive and probably healthy, ring or colour marks read in the field by a ringer

help again!

can anyone id these two pics are they the same bird or two different ones and what is it/are they. got a inkling would prefer it confirmed by the boys. cheers trace.

Attachments

• pic 2 799.jpg
    pic 2 799.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 104
  • pic 2 787.jpg
    pic 2 787.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 91
damned if i know

found them in a folder stuck at one side of pc don,t remember taking them or were and cant tell from pics, cheers.

and this

saw this down wyre forest y'day was gonna put a coin next to it for comparison but it gave me a nasty look so i stayed well back was about an inch and half long never seen such a big un presume its some sort of hornet! once again cheers for any help.

Attachments

• _DSC3950.jpg
    _DSC3950.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 71
saw this down wyre forest y'day was gonna put a coin next to it for comparison but it gave me a nasty look so i stayed well back was about an inch and half long never seen such a big un presume its some sort of hornet! once again cheers for any help.

Yep looks like a Hornet - we also get them at Upton Warren - I saw one the other day in fact.

...Well tomorrow I am re-cutting the channels in that area, this will provide viewing throughout the summer, I might have to revisit it each month. ....;)

Good on you mate, thanks! Sorry we couldn't get together for me to help you. Have to christen the waders when we float the raft. Still hoping to get it down this week...

Great pic of a Hornet, like Dave I have also seen several at UW recently.

Compared to Wasps they are in fact quite docile, I assume their size is used to intimidate.

If you find yourself near Poplar especially Black Poplar there is a good chance of seeing Hornet Moths, they look remarkably like Hornets but with thicker antennae, they are truely spectacular.

Here is the updated Prediction list those in red have paid their £1
Whiskered Tern: Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal: Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe: Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis: Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gull: Stuart Croft
Wryneck: Craig Reed
Cattle Egret: Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch: Des Jennings
Night-heron: Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher: Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs: John Belsey
Cirl Bunting: Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver: Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper: Andy Warr
Caspian Gull : Kay D
Aquatic Warbler, Phil Quiney
Bean Goose: Graham LaB
Purple Sandpiper: Terry Hinett
Red Footed Falcon:Andy Pitt
Marsh Sandpiper :Mark Peacock,

Last edited:
Here is the updated Prediction list those in red have paid their £1
Whiskered Tern, Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal, Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe, Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis, Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gull, Stuart Croft
Wryneck, Craig Reed
Cattle Egret, Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch, Des Jennings
Night-heron, Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher, Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs, John Belsey
Cirl Bunting, Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver, Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper, Andy Warr
Caspian Gull , Kay D
Aquatic Warbler, Phil Quiney
Bean Goose, Graham LaB
Purple Sandpiper: Terry Hinett
Andy Pitt, Red Footed Falcon
Mark Peacock, Marsh Sandpiper

Speaking to John Ridley today he was rather taken with the prospect of Common Crane but I am sure he will confirm on the All-Dayer.

All-Dayer 7th May

Steve Nuttall has a team of 7 at Belvide against us on Saturday. I am not sure if Marsh lane can get a team together (I will text nick later in the week). Geoff at Middleton are you up for it?.

Tim Jones is also challenging us but I think he is having Yorkshire as his patch 8-P
where was it Tim well his Uni patch anyway which sounds quite impressive,

Last edited:
A summer plumaged Black Tern is perched on one of the buoys on the sailing pool

5 Barnacle Geese circled the flashes. Barwit and RP still

A summer plumaged Black Tern is perched on one of the buoys on the sailing pool

5 Barnacle Geese circled the flashes. Barwit and RP still

Black Tern is the 138th species to be recorded at Upton Warren in 2011. Its arrival is bang on cue:

Overall average return date: 3rd May
Average return date for last 10 years: 6th May
Earliest ever return date: 17th April (2003)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back