• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

I normally watch the feed station for a few minutes whenever I pass the kitchen window or door but rarely longer than 5 minutes unless there is a particularly good photo opportunity . This means that I probably look for a few minutes every 20 minutes or so throughout the day

Today I spent a very unacustomed 1.5 hours watching the feeders and spotted our first ever Blackcap.

I'm beginning to wonder how many other uncommon species are coming and going without my knowledge.

How many here actually set aside some time every day to watch their feeders for half an hour or more at a time ?

I normally watch the feed station for a few minutes whenever I pass the kitchen window or door but rarely longer than 5 minutes unless there is a particularly good photo opportunity . This means that I probably look for a few minutes every 20 minutes or so throughout the day

Today I spent a very unacustomed 1.5 hours watching the feeders and spotted our first ever Blackcap.

I'm beginning to wonder how many other uncommon species are coming and going without my knowledge.

How many here actually set aside some time every day to watch their feeders for half an hour or more at a time ?

Its a good point and If your not looking you wont find it.

I tend to get more of the right time to watch the garden, early mornings etc... oh the joys of shift work. I dont however set aside time I just tend to find time.

Some of the best seawatchers have to put the long hours in to get anything notable out of it..... how many of my flyover species would I miss with out spending time surveying the skys above the house?

The Reed Bunting would have been missed the last two days if I hadnt been looking at that particular moment..... my only ever garden Tree creeper would have been missed if I wasnt sat in the garden with a beer watching the feeders... its all relative, but you have to put the time in to get most out of it, especially when it come to those special sightings

brilliant ! What sort of height and location did you put it ?

Are you using a webcam ?

I would say about 2.5m, deffo over head height and I almost injured myself during a precarious manouevre putting it up! I believe between 2 and 5m is recommended. Its in the far corner of the garden, as much away from the feeders as possible.

Its a camera that came with the box. Not amazing images, but colour during the day and b/w at night using infra-red.

Just had my first Yellowhammer feeding on the ground feeder, One more to add to my growing list:t::t:

Superb visitor!

Wow ! look what stopped by this morning ....a very nice Blackcap , our first ever.

Well done! We had our first a few weeks ago and was equally delighted. All the better for getting a male, not some browncap:t:

Third day running.... male Reed Bunting

I wonder if its the copious amounts of spilt seed that dropped, or is it searching for a mate...... I guess the seed will run out before he finds a mate here!

Have had a very good winter with the birds but things are a little quieter now. Have 12 or so species still calling including these 2 that are here the year round.

Attachments

• 14robin  (2).jpg
    14robin (2).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 15 spotted towhee.jpg
    15 spotted towhee.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 41
Few Quick questions...One being is it best to buy seed in Bulk...Like 12kg for 8 quid
AND what other foods could i feed...I have 2 seed feeder's with heart's in... Peanut feeder and a fat ball feeder but only attract starling's and sparrow's? If you could answer the Question's that would be very good...By INBOX or COMMENT below. Inbox would be best for me as it tells me when i get one but what ever is better for you.

Reagrds

Still snowbound here - snow been on the ground for three and half months now. Temperatures crept above freezing today for the first time for a while, back below now and should stay so.

However, my butterfly season started today with a spectacular species to kick things off. Way too early to be on the wing, but was shifting stuff in my basement today and I found a hibernating butterfly - a Camberwell Beauty no less, certainly the first time one of these has been in my house!

And to end the day, found a Pygmy Owl hooting away just before dark, eventually seeing him in a birch tree.

Camberwell Beauty

Wow Jos! I disturbed a humble small white in my under stairs cupboard - funny mixture of gladness and sadness as I don't think it will survive. I hope it's still in hibernation.

Not much to report on the garden bird front today, as I've been out most of the day, but goldfinches, sparrows, blue tits, blackbirds and dunnocks are all still feeding away.

Third day running.... male Reed Bunting

I wonder if its the copious amounts of spilt seed that dropped, or is it searching for a mate...... I guess the seed will run out before he finds a mate here!
probably a bit of both if the truth be known.
I've been watching a female blackbird courting males outside my window on a small tiled lean-to roof today. I remember her doing this little 'dance' last year. I think I'll take some video tomorrow for my diary.

I cannot believe I have gone through my whole life and not made the time to really study the wildlife around me.:-C

Just finished the Garden Birdwatch and I was quite surprised at the similarities between last and this year. Only numbers of note are Chaffinch's are 50% down on last year and Greenfinches are 80% down but Starlings are 300% up and Lesser Redpolls around 400% up on last year. This is only my garden so it will be nice too know the bigger picture when all results are in. Ger.

A single Long-tailed Tit was the first bird today. A single bird which was a nice change as they usually come in numbers.
Coal, Great and Blue Tits. My noisy singing Robin chaseing off the first garden Chaffinch of the year. Blackbirds, Starlings and the usual Woodpigeons make up the rest of my sightings today.:t::t:

I had a lone LTT in the garden yesterday and it stayed for over 15 minutes. I have only seen one once before in the garden and it was in a group that appeared briefly months ago.
I still have good numbers of chaffinches and goldfinches. I think they have all forgiven us, as you said, earleybird. The pied wagtail still comes every day too.
We were in the garden yesterday and thought we heard somebody talking. It was one of the 2 rooks! It sounded really funny.
I think my blackbirds must be a pair as I only see the 2 running around now.
I can't believe that bluetits are chasing goldfinches off the feeders but they are!
We have had beautiful weather for the last week and it looks set to continue.:t:

Envy you having a Pied Wagtail Busybee. See one very occasionally but think the garden's too enclosed?
Like to swap the weather, how lucky. |=)|

Last edited:
My resident coopers hawk made an appearance today near the feeder. I had not seen him in a couple weeks and was wondering if he had moved along now that winter is winding down. He hasn't left yet.

My partner found a Peacock butterfly in the garage the other day, she said it looked poorly.... I guess lethargic as it had just woken up.

She left the garage door open for it to fly off, I havent seen it since.

However been walking today and witnessed at very very close quarters a very active bat at 14.00 hrs enjoying catching insects in rather nice sunshine

Not seen any of the garden today...

I've been working in the garden today so caused a bit of disturbance, although the goldfinches don't seem to mind too much and are really quick to get back on the feeders, quickly followed by the sparrows. Dunnock very busy in the hedges and a couple of blackbirds were turning over bits of leaves and bark all over the garden. Haven't seen the robin today but haven't really looked much - hope he or she is still around.

Still snowbound here - snow been on the ground for three and half months now. Temperatures crept above freezing today for the first time for a while, back below now and should stay so.

However, my butterfly season started today with a spectacular species to kick things off. Way too early to be on the wing, but was shifting stuff in my basement today and I found a hibernating butterfly - a Camberwell Beauty no less, certainly the first time one of these has been in my house!

And to end the day, found a Pygmy Owl hooting away just before dark, eventually seeing him in a birch tree.

You get all the luck Jos!!! Good birds and good insects!!!

My partner found a Peacock butterfly in the garage the other day, she said it looked poorly.... I guess lethargic as it had just woken up.

She left the garage door open for it to fly off, I havent seen it since.

However been walking today and witnessed at very very close quarters a very active bat at 14.00 hrs enjoying catching insects in rather nice sunshine

Not seen any of the garden today...

Hope its not woken too early. Its still a bit too cold for butterflies but give it a couple of weeks and we'll be knee deep in them!!!

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back