• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best Book .. (1 Viewer)

inghamb87

I was looking on Amazon.com to buy a book related to birding and then thought I should ask the community first for some suggestion.

Anyone have any recommendation? I am fairly new to the scene.

Thanks in advance.

If you want a field guide for identification then the best is Collin's Field Guide - and there's a nice new edition just published. However, it does cover Britain and Europe. And it does have a lot of pretty rare stuff in it. So some people find it a bit daunting when starting out. In which case the RSPB's own guide may be a better starting point.

I've just finished Bill oddies little black bird book and would recommend it to anybody starting off, Its not a field guide it just gives a humorous insight into birding in general.

Last edited:
Hi,
It sounds as if you really are looking for something a bit more comprehensive than a bird guide.
If so, title4s with a broader perspective might include Season at the Point, the birds and birders of Cape May
http://www.amazon.com/Season-Point-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269739112&sr=8-2
or A Neotropical Companion
http://www.amazon.com/Neotropical-C...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269739205&sr=1-1

Both books look at birds in a broader context, of the ecosystems in the latter, of human influence on the environment in the former. The latter is a bit more eco rather than birder focused, but both are wonderful reads.

The Works are selling some good Collins books cheaply.

I got Collins Complete British birds for £5 which I feel is a good book for beginners. I think it was £5 down from £15 (amazon price £10)

They also have smaller Collins books (a wide range of nature books) for £2 each. Although not that great in detail small and light so that they can be fitted easily into a pocket, although they are long.

They also have several other bird books and one bird song book with free CD although I can only vouch for the two I've mentioned.

I got the more expansive RSPB book in the post the other day free from joining RSPB. I also recommend this one.

This was recommended to me and I think it's pretty good;
The Shell Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland (ISBN-10: 0718122208)

Long out of print but available second hand for less than £3 on eBay and Amazon inc P&P

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back