• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lense coatings on old EL 8.5x42? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I've seen a used Swaro EL 8.5x42 EL for sale but the shop can't tell me how old they are, my worry is that although they are mint they might be at least five years old or more and won't have all the latest lense coatings like swarobright and swarodu etc?

Sent an email enquiry to Swaro with relevent serial No but in the meantime, when did all the latest coatings come out...and how important are they when considering a used Swaro?

Cheers

Matt

Hello Matt

Ask the shop to give you the first two serial numbers, this will tell you the age and then go from there.

Personally i wouldn't put too much emphasis on having the very latest coatings, they (Swarovski) are constantly updating them anyway, if you like the views, and its in good condition get it bought :t:

Hello Matt

Ask the shop to give you the first two serial numbers, this will tell you the age and then go from there.

Personally i wouldn't put too much emphasis on having the very latest coatings, they (Swarovski) are constantly updating them anyway, if you like the views, and its in good condition get it bought :t:

Thanks for that, have the serial number but still awaiting a reply from my email enquiry to swaroland!!

Anyone know how to date an old model 8.5x42?

Matt

The word around here is to add 30 to the first two digits, e.g. a "75" would have a 2005 manufacture year.

HTH.

Bradley

Thanks for that Bradley

Had a very helpful email reply from Swaroland this morning, they say the bins I was interest in are a 2001 vintage!! That means pre Swarobright, might even be pre fast focusing EL's so think I'll pass on them!!

Matt

OK, so now I've sourced a mint pair of EL's from 2004!! Anyone know what lense coatings they might include, the shop said they have the Swarobright coatings but not sure about any others? Can't seem to find any info about Swaro lense coatings and when they were introduced on the net?

Trouble is the price for these is £1100, not sure to take the gamble or just get a new SLC HD for a bit more cash!!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back