• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query stripey Chiffy - Red Sea Egypt (1 Viewer)

ashford50

Any comments on id welcome please

seen in Elgouna nr Hurghada Egypt 11th Oct 2012
Bird photographed early evening against bright low sunlight
Slightly larger than CC / WW (of which there were hundreds around!)

bit confused by streaked breast and light leg colour but short PP seems to fit
only other though was 1W eastern bonelli's

Thanks in advance Ashford/Elgouna birder

Attachments

• 1704.JPG
    1704.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 1707.JPG
    1707.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 1708.JPG
    1708.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 94
Looks ok for Chiffy..you can get a degree of size variability..especially when you have good numbers in the vicinity to compare against.

cheers

Thanks for the swift reply KenM
Sorting through the almost daily falls of Phylloscs in the trees opposite our balcony keeps me from getting bored!
Then none for a day or so - but knee deep in wheatears all the time in October, a day of yellow wags of all flavours - then back to to willow chiffs!
Loads of easy birding to be had in Elgouna

Thanks for the swift reply KenM
Sorting through the almost daily falls of Phylloscs in the trees opposite our balcony keeps me from getting bored!
Then none for a day or so - but knee deep in wheatears all the time in October, a day of yellow wags of all flavours - then back to to willow chiffs!
Loads of easy birding to be had in Elgouna

Enjoy...this time last year..I was almost knee deep in Redwings, every day! for 3 months..up to circa a dozen in the garden..with birds in the air..singles to twenty passing overhead every 5-10 minutes!....This year..only two single visits to the garden, with only several pods of 7-8 passing over this last 6 weeks, no two years are the same!

cheers

Looks like a Willow Warbler to me. Not the best pics to judge wing length on but looks good enough. Everything else points to WW (legs, bill and overall colour).

Looks like a Willow Warbler to me. Not the best pics to judge wing length on but looks good enough. Everything else points to WW (legs, bill and overall colour).

You may well be right Ola!...I make the pp circa 2/3rds of overlying tertials..(a sort of ''half way house'' example) and the cosmetic is perhaps more WW than CC..will have to become more forensic on these examples. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back