• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine bunting or yellowhammer? - Verona, Italy (1 Viewer)

giaina

Hi all!

Bird seen yesterday 24.11.2012 in a small flock of Yellowhammer. The bird was on a row of trees near paddyfields, the few calls I heard was very similar to Yellowhammer (similar or identical? I can't say). Breast clearly white, as the primary edge. No yellow seen on the bird.
I was under the trees on the dirt road which run alorg the row, as you can see in the video:

http://youtu.be/NYmF3h3I6Bk

What do you think about it? I suppose it's a 1stW Pine Bunting, it could be an important sighting for my area.
I attach some snapshots also.

Thank you very much,

Paolo Bertini
Verona Birdwatching
EBN445

Attachments

• MVI_3021_0004.jpg
    MVI_3021_0004.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 106
  • MVI_3021_0005.jpg
    MVI_3021_0005.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 133
  • MVI_3021_0007.jpg
    MVI_3021_0007.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 165
  • MVI_3021_0009.jpg
    MVI_3021_0009.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 123
  • MVI_3021_0010.jpg
    MVI_3021_0010.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 161
3 more

Attachments

• MVI_3021_0011.jpg
    MVI_3021_0011.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 51
  • MVI_3021_0012.jpg
    MVI_3021_0012.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MVI_3022_0001.jpg
    MVI_3022_0001.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 69
Its a very hard ID to prove - I can't for example see the median coverts well enough. Do you have any photos showing the upperparts. It appears to be an adult on the tail feather shape.

I assume that you ruled out Rustic and Reed bunting on call.....

Its a very hard ID to prove - I can't for example see the median coverts well enough. Do you have any photos showing the upperparts. It appears to be an adult on the tail feather shape.

Indeed. There's a large geographic area that holds an intermediate and likely clinal breeding population. When Clive Byers was working on the illustrations for Buntings and Sparrows, he realised that many of the specimens in the (I think Swedish) museums were intermediate in plumage between the two species.:eek!:
MJB

Thank you Jane and MJB, I agree it's a hard id!

I'm waiting for more replies, any further opinion is welcome.

Ciao,

Paolo

Impossible to say for certain from these pictures even though it well could be a Pine Bunting.

Jane, what do you mean with the median coverts? Or did you mean lesser?

I 've been carrying it round in my head for years, as a good way of ruling out a safe Pine bunting if the tips are warm..... though maybe I made that up!

Attachments

• median coverts.jpg
    median coverts.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 103
I think that coverts looking like your Yellowhammers indeed rule out Pine but coverts like your Pine Buntings don't safely rule out pale Yellowhammers. ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back