• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something quite difficult. Identify the victim (Cyprus) (1 Viewer)

stylgeo

I know this is a long shot, but can anyone identify what the marsh harrier's lunch is? It was taken in marshes a couple of days ago in Limassol area in Cyprus.

Thanks again, by ID book wasn't really helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_4623small.jpg
    IMG_4623small.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 391
Looks like the foot of a shorebird - sandpiper or some such. Bright yellow legs, not too small... but I don't know what the local possibilities are.

Definitely a wader. Little Ringed Plover is an excellent guess size-and colourwise (although perhaps a bit on the yellow side), but that species doesn't have much of a hind toe......really a challenge here......toes are too short for Common Snipe........?

Peter

Thanks everybody for your time. I haven't spotted any little ringed plovers in the area and based on recent sightings (found here) there haven't been any.

On the other hand, there are quite a lot of common snipe in the area.

Is it possible that this might be a young chicken? The toes look a bit slim in this photo though... I was walking in the area and it just flew over me, but I could see some farms in the distance. However, farmers always use a covered coop because there are a lot of BOP and foxes in the area.

So, really hard to pin-point exactly then. As I said, there were quite a lot of common snipe in the area, probabilistically speaking it is the best suspect..

Hi Stylgeo,I can't identify the prey species but I would like to commend your photograph can you tell us they camera,lens and settings used.Cheers ...Eddy

Perhaps a Common Sandpiper (size, colour and lenght of toes including hindtoe) Do you ever see this long-distance migrant in Cyprus in the depth of winter?

Last edited:
Thanks Eddy, I'm glad you like the photo!

Equipment used:
Canon EOS 7D
Sigma 500mm F/4.5 prime
Kenko 1.4x TC
Handheld

Settings
Manual
f/7.1
1/500 sec shutter speed
ISO 640
AI Servo
RAW

The EXIF Info is intact :)

Thanks again Peter. We do get Common Sandpipers this time of the year as they are winter visitors. I haven't spotted any that day, but I can't say I was really looking for them to be honest.

fantastic photo,any records of spotted sands this time of year in Cyprus?

Thank you for your compliments, I'm quite pleased with this tbh :).

No mention of Spotted Sandpipers in the grapevine, nor in the 'recent sightings' blogs and websites I visit. Are the feet too yellow for a common then?

UPDATE

I was going through photos if I could find another one. Unfortunately I only grabbed 4 photos of that bird before it flew away, 2 of which are exactly the same, and 2 I have missed the focus.

However, I did take a couple of grab shots from a more distant bird, carrying some twigs. They flew out of the same spot, and I haven't really paid attention to that shots because it was rather far away, it was facing a bit away from me, and there were some telephone poles in the background, ruining the shot. However, because marsh harriers are migrants and winter visitors here, and don't nest in Cyprus as far as I know, I was curious on why it was carrying the twigs. Upon closer inspection, there was a foot sticking out of the twigs :). They must have been feasting on the same bird when something (most probably me) must have scared them and they grabbed what they could and flew away.

Does this new photo help in any way?

Attachments

• IMG_4634small.jpg
    IMG_4634small.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4634crop.jpg
    IMG_4634crop.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks Larry,

I was typing the above when you replied.

There are quite a few water rails in the area (see picture below, taken a few days earlier at exactly the same spot). Isn't the foot rather small for a water rail though?

Attachments

• IMG_3452small.jpg
    IMG_3452small.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 41
I not sure about the size of differences involved here, but the photo with the foot/twigs/vegetation might indicate that the bird taken was in place where there would be twigs/vegetation (rail) rather than places with less material of that sort (plovers/sandpipers/etc.) Just "my two cents worth"!

Hardly a Water Rail with yellow/greenish feet (the Rail has darker pinkish brown feet) also the toes are much too short for Water Rail....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back