• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make up your own bird names (1 Viewer)

I've always liked the Great Nightingale of the Reeds - the translated Portuguese name of - well you can guess.

..and for Kentish Plover (very "ish") we have a terrible name - Borrelho-de-coleira-interrompida = "Sandplover with the interrupted collar"

Loving the translation names!

Can anyone guess these ones? (also Chinese)

1. Magpie Duck (not found in Australia ;) )

2. Normal Building Swallow

3. Ghost Owl (not a Barn Owl- much more sought after)

4. Dark Woods Owl (think a time of day)

5. Hill Sandpiper

6. White-bellied Falcon-eagle

7. White-headed Ibis Stork

8. Smokey-grey Sea-swallow

9. Green-breasted Eight-color Thrush (anyone who's read Chris Goodie's 'Jewel Hunter' might know this one)

10. Star Crow

I like the idea of translations! For those of you not familiar with German, care to guess the names of the following common European passerines?

Cathedral cleric (though really need a slightly more derogatory word for the second)

Gray snapper

Kernel biter

Silktail

Summer golden chicklet (cockerellet would be even closer)

Winter golden chicklet

King of the fence

Andrea

Your list includes Papamoscas Gris, Reyezuelo Sencillo, Reyezuelo Listado, Chochín and Ampelis Europeo, but not necessarily in that order!
MJB
PS I gave up on 'Andrea'!

Last edited:
Cathedral cleric (though really need a slightly more derogatory word for the second) = Bullfinch

Gray snapper = Spotted Flycatcher (should of course translate Grey snapper, but those d*** anti-British US imperialist auto translators won't permit that :storm: )

Silktail = Waxwing

I think there's a whole wealth of delightful bird names out there if you start translating back into English. Google translate for the french names of a host of Moroccan species gave us a lot of entertainment when we tried looking at some trip reports in french a couple of years back.

I like using my own names for some birds. Chaffinch is now Scuttlefinch, Brambling is Northern Scuttlefinch. Purple Swamphen is Gargantuan Moorhen and Hawfinch is Slutfinch. Lesser Spotted Eagle has become Pomarine Buzzard, and Hazel Grouse - Scruffy Forest Chicken. Penduline Tit, Pendulous Bosom. Wallcreeper is Walltoaster and Great Grey Shrike has been rebranded Captain Excubitor.

Very impressed with people's ability to get the right name - you've got all of them. (Sorry about the `gray' - must have been reading too much American English of late. Realized I'd done this some time after I'd hit send.)

What about the falcons? Tree, Tower, Wandering? (I know the last one is a bit easy.)

Here are some more (non-passerines this time)

ice bird

middle sawyer

dwarf sawyer

icestormbird

quail king

river rainpiper

sand rainpiper

sea rainpiper

(There's a third sawyer but I fear it'd give the game away too easily.)

Andrea

What about the falcons? Tree, Tower, Wandering? (I know the last one is a bit easy.)

Hobby - Common Kestrel - Peregrine Falcon

Here are some more (non-passerines this time)

ice bird - Kingfisher

middle sawyer - ?

dwarf sawyer - ?

icestormbird - Fulmar

quail king - Corncrake

river rainpiper - Little Ringed Plover

sand rainpiper - Ringed Plover

sea rainpiper - Kentish Plover

Was actually awake the other night, and not smoking anything either, but did come up with some changes I'd like to see implemented. Unfortunately (or fortunately) probably forgotten most of the now, but we'll see ... Anyway this thread fits in well with some taxonomic and name changes I was already contemplating.

For starters, I'd re-name the Buntings as Flags.

Hence -

Yellowhammer would become Yellow Flag.

Lapland Bunting would become Finnish Flag.

Snow Bunting would become the Chequered Flag.

Buzzards would become elevated to Eagles, and a new bird family for the existing eagles would have to be created, think the simplest way would be by prefixing the existing 'eagle' with another letter of the alphabet.

So, Common Buzzard I would like to rename as ' Worm-eating Eagle'.

Accurate, and should keep random visitors to the countryside happy - 'yes, you did indeed see an eagle' ;)

Haven't gone through the lists properly yet, but Golden Beagle would replace Golden Eagle for starters.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back