• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing (1 Viewer)

helenol

Anyone had any problems with focusing on the Oly 750UZ?

Last couple of days, the focus is so slow the birds have bred and raised chicks by the time the camera comes into focus. Camera approx. 18 months old.

It is happening more so when I use the T-con 1.7

The whole camera just seems to be getting, well, slower. Everything takes an age, the zoom, the manual focus, everything.

That Canon 20D is just sitting there waiting for me to bring it home.

I guess I'm the only one then! Any ideas why my camera seems to be "getting slower" and not focusing very well lately?

Hi Helen,
I don't have the camera that you speak of, but a Nikon N60-it isn't a digital, don't know if yours is.
I have had the same problem though. I even have a setting for high movement shots, and the thing can't seem to focus on anything right-at least not at the right time. I shut off the auto and use the manual, when I know I am going to have to act fast.
So, there you have it, I have NO idea why your camera is doing what it is doing. But at least I understand???

Best
Elizabeth

I have several suggestions. I apologize if you already know about these tried-and-true techniques:

When I first turn the camera on, I have found that it is a good idea to immediately focus on something that will be about the distance I expect to shooting at. Once it has locked onto one thing at that distance, it seems more able to focus quickly on something new at that approximate distance. This is especially true when using extreme telephoto, as with the TCON-17.

Another trick, which is think you probably already know, is to zoom out some first, focus, then zoom in and refocus. It is much easier for the camera to focus when you back out a little. Again, once you have locked onto something at that distance, it will then focus more quickly when you zoom back in.

Other than that, I cannot figure why your camera seems to be slower now.

Thanks to you both.

To be honest, I think the camera has "had its day" with me. Hopefully I'll be in the market for a new one very soon. This time, DSLR.

Thanks again.

Funny you should say this, Helen, as I've experienced similar problems - also with the TCON-17.

In my v. limited experience, I have put it down to light conditions as much as anything... after all, for auto-focus to work, I guess the camera has to make certain "assumptions"... and if the light is unsuitable (as is often the case when I take photos) we-e-e-ell...

As DSLR is out of my range at this time, and I'm not a good enough snapper to benefit that much, I'll stick with the old thing.

Helen....
... below is a copy of an earlier post to this site a year or so back.... I had exactly the problems you are getting with my Oly750.... I went for a Canon 300D (DSLR) and now have a Canon 10D.... for birds a fast focus and 'lock on' are essential - the 750 does NOT do it... It's a nice little camera for 'normal pics' and the zoom range is wonderful - but even now with my SLR's and a couple of 'bird' lenses 75-300 and 125-400 there are still times when I miss THE SHOT.... but go for it - get a DSLR - you will see and feel the difference in reaction/focussing times and also quality as soon as you take your first pics....

ps - i still have the Olympus 2100 (UZI)

Olympus 'upgrade' - UZI to 750....
....I've only just joined Birdforum but just want to let anyone
that is using an Olympus c2100 (UZI) contemplating the purchase of a c750uz (4 meg - 10x zoom)... I've waited over 6 weeks (UK) for my 750 and altho' its a nice little camera that takes really good quality pics (when it gets it right..) I find it has a few problems (particularly for birders)....
1) The zoom/in-out takes about 1.5 seconds to react.. (slower than my UZI)
2) sometimes it just will not lock on to the subject at high zoom (sometime it takes 2 or three (half) presses of the shutter to lock - - sometimes it just won't focus at all - very frustrating) My UZI had very little of this problem...
In the fast world of 'birding' - it's perhaps not the best/fastest reacting camera for this type of photography...
I want a camera that :-
(a) zooms in/out quickly to frame the shot
(b) focus locks on to my subject
(c) takes a good pic...

With the 750 - (a) and (b) are not so good...
when (a) and (b) do what they should (c) is exemplary

I was going to sell off my UZI - Not any more - i'll keep it 'til the day it dies
on me.......

I don't have the camera that you speak of, but a Nikon N60-it isn't a digital, don't know if yours is.
I have had the same problem though. I even have a setting for high movement shots, and the thing can't seem to focus on anything right-at least not at the right time. I shut off the auto and use the manual, when I know I am going to have to act fast.
So, there you have it, I have NO idea why your camera is doing what it is doing. But at least I understand???

Best
Elizabeth

advid said:
Helen....
... below is a copy of an earlier post to this site a year or so back.... I had exactly the problems you are getting with my Oly750.... I went for a Canon 300D (DSLR) and now have a Canon 10D.... for birds a fast focus and 'lock on' are essential - the 750 does NOT do it...

Guess what, as of yesterday, I am now in possession of a Canon 20D!

Yes I agree with what you say about the 750, it does take great photos, but it's just not up to doing what I want it to anymore.

Cheers.

....well done...you've got a very fine bit of kit with the 20D ..... what lens are you going to put on it for 'birding' ? ---- the real expense of digital SLR photography begins here :)

helenol said:
Hello there.

Guess what, as of yesterday, I am now in possession of a Canon 20D!

Yes I agree with what you say about the 750, it does take great photos, but it's just not up to doing what I want it to anymore.

Cheers.

advid said:
....well done...you've got a very fine bit of kit with the 20D ..... what lens are you going to put on it for 'birding' ? ---- the real expense of digital SLR photography begins here :)
Ah yes, the expense factor...mind you, the camera was an unexpected gift yesterday!

I will be getting the 100-400 IS lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back