• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why No More High End Porros? (1 Viewer)

porros don't sell. If they did, you'd see lots more manufacturers making them. It's simple supply and demand.

Zeis make them......so do nikon,steiner,swarovski,leica,canon,olympus and most other binocular manufacturers you care to mention.

I wonder actually if far more porros are sold than roofs? Birders aside, and maybe hunters too, are most binocular buyers actually buying porro or reverse-porros? The astronomy-type binoculars made by Celestron etc. are all porros, and if you look at the binos in catalogues like Argos, or in high-street camera shops, they're mostly reverse, or things like Olympus DPS or Nikon Actions. Maybe roofs are largely the preserve of a relatively narrow segment prepared to spend greater sums on better glass, housed in roof bodies, and manufacturers like Nikon have only stopped their porro lines to the likes of us. So it's our fault...we voted with our wallets and stopped buying SE's, whereas people not-that-bothered voted with theirs, unprepared to buy either expensive roofs or expensive porros, and perfectly happy sub-200 euro binoculars whatever the shape.

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts

Thanks to everyone for thoughtful posts, full of information. My take-away is that a simpler and more efficient system (porro) is being displaced by a more complex system (roof), mainly for the sake of ergonomics and practicality (compact, easy to hold, easier to waterproof). Still, I feel we give up something important, view-wise, in this transition. And still suspect that the perfectionists amongst binocular owners would find joy in the superiority of a latest-tech porro or perger system instrument offered by a top manufacturer. I suppose this will never come to pass.
Reminds me of what has happened to high fidelity sound reproduction - but that is another subject for another type of forum...

Thanks to everyone for thoughtful posts, full of information. My take-away is that a simpler and more efficient system (porro) is being displaced by a more complex system (roof), mainly for the sake of ergonomics and practicality (compact, easy to hold, easier to waterproof). Still, I feel we give up something important, view-wise, in this transition. And still suspect that the perfectionists amongst binocular owners would find joy in the superiority of a latest-tech porro or perger system instrument offered by a top manufacturer. I suppose this will never come to pass.
Reminds me of what has happened to high fidelity sound reproduction - but that is another subject for another type of forum...

Tell us your idea of a "latest-tech porro".

Zeis make them......so do nikon,steiner,swarovski,leica,canon,olympus and most other binocular manufacturers you care to mention.

Did I say nobody makes them? No I did not. I said they don't sell well, a miniscule number compared to roofs. Look around.

Vinyl and analog are coming back strong...maybe, so will "new-tech" porros...just a thought!! :h?:

Personally, glassed with a lot of porros, but feel a good roof prism (like my Swaro EL's) presents "to my eyes", a more relaxing view. However, the Canon Porro II 10X42 IS is a strong exception to my stated preferred opinion!! :t:

Ted

Quote: Tell us your idea of a "latest-tech porro".

Imagine a compact-and-lightweight-as-possible, waterproof, (maybe) armored, center-focus, wide FOV, long eye relief instrument with superior optics and the latest coatings, precisely assembled, and beautiful. Is that too much to ask?

Did I say nobody makes them? No I did not. I said they don't sell well, a miniscule number compared to roofs. Look around.

I dont remember accusing you of saying that nobody makes them.What you said is that if they sold well a lot more manufacturers would make them.
All i then said was that virtually every single binocular manufacturer that exists today,including the best quality manufacturers make a set of porros.LOOK AROUND.

Hey Bob,

I should have posted what those binoculars are....left to right 7X50 Meopta B.1, Zeiss FL 7x42, and the Habicht 7X42. That 16mm for the FL....it's more than that actually. I think 16mm is just Zeiss's "number."

It's a shame the Swarovski Habichts can't be modernized. They have such nice optics and are so lightweight with great handling qualities...

The Nikon porro I have is the 8X32 SE. It "almost" works too. Yes fold down rubber eye cup. I don't fold them down...don't want to wear it out. THEN what?
Re Nikon SE eyecups. Take them off, cover in Armorall and let sit overnight. Wipe off and replace. Mine have been on and folded down for 13 years. I take them off every few years and repeat this procedure (maybe three times). It's quite amazing how well preserved they are.

Sancho! Are you drinking again? Here is a question to ponder. If the big three did make an new alpha porro do you think it could be as good or better than the alpha roofs. Really for birding a Nikon 8x32 SE or Habicht 8x30 W are the best porro birding binoculars made and they still are not as good as the best alpha roofs like the Swarovision. Could they make a BETTER porro than the Nikon 8x32 SE that would blow away a Swarovision?

Re Nikon SE eyecups. Take them off, cover in Armorall and let sit overnight. Wipe off and replace. Mine have been on and folded down for 13 years. I take them off every few years and repeat this procedure (maybe three times). It's quite amazing how well preserved they are.
Doesn't the shine scare the birds away?;)

Whilst I don't disregard the points made thus far, I think the major disincentive regarding buying porros is the widespread misconception that roofs are inherently 'better' as, like-for-like, roof prism binoculars are more expensive. There is a deeply embedded perception in our society that products that are more expensive 'must' be better. When I got my Nikon 8x32 SEs some years ago I was met with some derision for buying what was regarded by many as a substandard pair of binoculars solely because they were porros. such a view extended to those who should have known better. I recall being told by the salesperson at an RSPB reserve which sold a lot of optics that porros were optically inferior to roofs and who completely dismissed my protestations. I also vividly recall the stunned silence when I swapped my SEs with a mocking friend's alpha roof 8x32s - the superiority of the porros was obvious.

I dont remember accusing you of saying that nobody makes them.What you said is that if they sold well a lot more manufacturers would make them.
All i then said was that virtually every single binocular manufacturer that exists today,including the best quality manufacturers make a set of porros.LOOK AROUND.

I do look around, and I see 100 roofs for every porro. To answer the OP's subject, that's why there aren't more of them.

When it comes to the Navy, Army and maybe Police Forces one is quite likely to see a good Porroprism binocular.

Astronomers usually or mostly use Porroprism binoculars.

It is birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts who seem to prefer roof prism binoculars.
They seem to need close focus more.

It may be that with birdwatchers roof prisms are 100 times more likely than Porroprism binoculars, but this won't be so in some other groups.

Ok I'm gonna do it! I mean Hell, they are in the case....doing NOTHING.... I might as well!

I do look around, and I see 100 roofs for every porro. To answer the OP's subject, that's why there aren't more of them.

I agree... Early in my hunting years there were a few Steiners. Earlier in the year at Magee Marsh...a few of the Leupold(pronounced LEE o pold! ;) ) porros were present.

Sometimes I'll see a family with "some binoculars" as in one between them. Sometimes it will be a porro.

I'm not knocking porros. It's just that OVERALL current models that I have seen just aren't the binocular a good roof is for things that matter to ME. Show up with a group of birders....a porro just isn't gonna happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back