• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nostalgia: 1960's Binocular Book Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Good Day,
There was a book on binoculars I read frequently from age 12, which I found at my local public library in Iowa City (USA), and was probably published in the early 1960's. Unfortunately I don't remember the title or author. It was a very well written introduction to the world of binoculars of that period, including the early roof prism instruments. Does anyone remember such a book - if so, could you please post the information? I would like to hunt down a copy to look at again.
Thanks!

Fleurviola, post 1,
Is it possible that you are referring to "Binoculars and all purpose telescopes" by Dr. Henri Paul, Amphoto Photographic Book Publishing, 1964, 128 pages reprinted in 1980 in a somewhat larger size, so that had only 96 pages.
Gijs van Ginkel

Dear Gijs van Ginkel,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the book you mention does not ring a bell: I don't think the book I remember dealt with telescopes, but binoculars exclusively. I recall it as a hard-bound medium-size book, perhaps 150 pages, where the text was dominant but with quite a few black-and-white photos.

Does the name J.R. Hebditch ring a bell? He was a well-regarded British author and binocular retailer who wrote a number of pamphlets and books about binoculars, telescopes and birdwatching during the 1940's-1960's. I have one of his pamphlets "Binoculars and Telescopes for Field Work" 1961 and he was certainly knowledgeable.

Good Day,
There was a book on binoculars I read frequently from age 12, which I found at my local public library in Iowa City (USA), and was probably published in the early 1960's. Unfortunately I don't remember the title or author. It was a very well written introduction to the world of binoculars of that period, including the early roof prism instruments. Does anyone remember such a book - if so, could you please post the information? I would like to hunt down a copy to look at again.
Thanks!

Hey, Fleurviola:

BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact was written by an old ... guy—if that helps, any! :cat:

Bill

Dear Gijs van Ginkel,

I did another internet search, and you are correct - the book is

Binoculars and all-purpose telescopes: How to Choose, Test, and Use Them
Paul, Henry E
Published by Chilton Books, 1965

Really appreciate your help in locating it!

Hey, Fleurviola:

BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact was written by an old ... guy—if that helps, any! :cat:

Bill

Bill,

I got a chuckle from that, great book by the way. I have gone through ~ 1/2 of it, but I find my self going back to prior sections. (great references). The part of the shop owner and dropping the glass had me roaring.

A.W.

Bill,

I got a chuckle from that, great book by the way. I have gone through ~ 1/2 of it, but I find my self going back to prior sections. (great references). The part of the shop owner and dropping the glass had me roaring.

A.W.

A chuckle you say???...I haven't had the time to dig into mine yet but thought it was going to be more of a horror/suspense novel...with facts made to fit the story line.....:smoke:

I had a copy of the Paul book years ago. It's a good read with some sound information. If you do an amazon search, it will probably come up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back