• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bins for 2018 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

as has been said, here in germany it's hard to find a brick & mortar store to try Nikon EDGs in, so one can only compare online prices - there they tend to be at the lower end of current alphas while being equal or better optically and mechanically.

They're lacking the super wide field of the Zeiss SF or the super light and small package of an FL 8x32 and of course the premium label - unlike the other alpha manufacturers Nikon offers optics in all price ranges (although Zeiss is also trying entry level)...

Joachim

A new 8X42 EDG arrived today as if it came off the show room floor (with the new car/rubber odor). I paid less than retail, much less, and preliminary findings are that every thing functions like my 8X32 EDG and the diopter I find easy to use and works flawlessly. While both were purchased second hand from the initial owners, both are mint and function perfectly. The 8X32 was purchased new from eagle Optics in 2016 new, and the 8X42 were purchased from the original owner who had an EDG 1 which when sent to Nikon for repair, was replaced with this EDG II, the bino is about 1 year old. Here it is next to the MHG another fine 8X42.

A.W.

A new 8X42 EDG arrived today as if it came off the show room floor (with the new car/rubber odor). I paid less than retail, much less, and preliminary findings are that every thing functions like my 8X32 EDG and the diopter I find easy to use and works flawlessly. While both were purchased second hand from the initial owners, both are mint and function perfectly. The 8X32 was purchased new from eagle Optics in 2016 new, and the 8X42 were purchased from the original owner who had an EDG 1 which when sent to Nikon for repair, was replaced with this EDG II, the bino is about 1 year old. Here it is next to the MHG another fine 8X42.

A.W.

Eagle Optics still had Nikons to sell in 2016? I'm trying to remember when Nikon dropped them. I know Eagle Optics wasn't pleased when it happened and it was a subject of discussion here. I thought it was a couple of years earlier than 2016 but I could be wrong.

Bob

I can only repeat what the seller told me, but perhaps he could be off by a year. I have no idea about the Nikon/Eagle optic relationship, too bad Eagle Optics seemed to be a good outfit. The serial number seems high enough.

A.W.

Eagle Optics still had Nikons to sell in 2016? I'm trying to remember when Nikon dropped them. I know Eagle Optics wasn't pleased when it happened and it was a subject of discussion here. I thought it was a couple of years earlier than 2016 but I could be wrong.

Bob

Bob ...... Nikon and Eagle Optics parted ways January, 2013. I believe Eagle liquidated the last of the inventory on eBay around July, 2013.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=247735&highlight=eagle

Andy ... The serial number on my 8X32 Nikon EDG-II is 70043X and it was purchased new around the spring of 2012 from Amazon.

Thanks Bruce, as Brock said once, no one knows the Nikon serial No. system except Nikon. My serial is 70057X, who knows when It was produced.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back