• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Converter woes (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Trying to use a converter with my SM80 + 7D Camera but keep getting an error message and the shutter will not fire. This is happening with both a Canon 1.4x tc and also a Kenko/teleplus 2x tc both of which work OK with DSLR lenses (although the Teleplus is manual focus only).
I know about taping the pins to fool the Camera into not knowing a tc is present and that works OK with a lens and DSLR but with the Astroscope it makes no difference as the pins that are normally taped are on the lens side of the tc are in open air anyway so makes no difference (the Camera is still looking for a lens).
It may work by taping pins on the Camera side of the tc but I cannot see how you can really do this as the contacts (they are not pins on this side of the converter) are just flat and and the tape will probably just scrunch up when you try to mount the tc to the Camera. Anyone else had this problem??

BTW the Teleplus tc is a non reporter but it still screws the Camera up when using with the astroscope :C:C:C:C

I had one of these astroscopes and had the same problem when putting the tc first on the camera, IF I remember rightly I put a extension tube first then the tc and bingo all worked fine. Cant be a 100% sure mind you. Never got on with manual focus and lugging the bloody thing round, so went back to auto focus and my 400 5.6 lens.

Does it make a difference whether the camera is set on auto focus or on manual focus? Have you been able to find out anything from Dr. Google about using the 7d/tc combination with manual lenses? Does the T2 adapter have a chip on it? Is anything touching the contacts on the lens side of the tc when the T2 is mounted?
Putting tape on the camera or lens does not seem like an option to me. There has to be a reason.

Last edited:
I had one of these astroscopes and had the same problem when putting the tc first on the camera, IF I remember rightly I put a extension tube first then the tc and bingo all worked fine. Cant be a 100% sure mind you. Never got on with manual focus and lugging the bloody thing round, so went back to auto focus and my 400 5.6 lens.
For what I want it for and how often I am going to use it Manual focus does not bother me at all, what would be nice though is the ability to get from the base 600mm to say 840mm. What is needed is a EOS male to EOS female connector something like a macro type extension tube but with no electrical contact - not sure if such a thing exists thought.

Last edited:
Does it make a difference whether the camera is set on auto focus or on manual focus? Have you been able to find out anything from Dr. Google about using the 7d/tc combination with manual lenses? Does the T2 adapter have a chip on it? Is anything touching the contacts on the lens side of the tc when the T2 is mounted?
Putting tape on the camera or lens does not seem like an option to me. There has to be a reason.
With Canon DSLR the AF option is on the lens Dan. What is happening is that the Camera is picking up the contact from the tc and looking for a lens at the end of it. Taping the pins on a converter to fool the Camera into not knowing a tc is present is a well know and widely used practice (used it many hundreds if not thousands of times myself). What happens is the Camera still sees the lens but not the converter - without a lens though this is a different scenario, what's needed is no electrical contact with the Camera whatsoever.
As explained above what is needed is a EOS male to EOS female connector something like a macro type extension tube but with no electrical contacts at all.

For what I want it for and how often I am going to use it Manual focus does not bother me at all, what would be nice though is the ability to get from the base 600mm to say 840mm. What is needed is a EOS male to EOS female connector something like a macro type extension tube but with no electrical contact - not sure if such a thing exists thought.

There are MF extensions tubes that have no electrical contacts that might do what you want, they are not very much money on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Macro...ns_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item2c6098ff72

Trying to use a converter with my SM80 + 7D Camera but keep getting an error message and the shutter will not fire. This is happening with both a Canon 1.4x tc and also a Kenko/teleplus 2x tc both of which work OK with DSLR lenses (although the Teleplus is manual focus only).

Hi Roy

The camera should automatically default to manual focus (and also report it in the exif). It will not report the TC in the exif though.

It also works in M, Av and Tv modes (just tried it on 60D+DG 300 Pro 1.4X).

60D also works with a home-made TC with no electronic contacts between camera and scope in M, Av and Tv modes.

Go to the "Q" menu, and set "AF Mode" to "Manual Focus" if it is not already selected.

Also clean all the contacts with a cloth and some alcohol.

Other than the above, I am stumped.

Best regards

Jaco

You tape the contacts on the camera side, not the scope side as that makes no difference. I tape the contacts on my Kenko Pro TC on the camera side and it mounts fine, had one piece of tape on it for over a year and it has stayed on.

Paul.

You tape the contacts on the camera side, not the scope side as that makes no difference. I tape the contacts on my Kenko Pro TC on the camera side and it mounts fine, had one piece of tape on it for over a year and it has stayed on.

Paul.
Yep, I realised you would have to tape on the Camera side Paul but was a bit nervous about tape in there in case it came loose and started to float around the mirror and things. The non AF Extension tubes on ebay are only a fiver so will go for them I think.

Thank you for all the feedback folks :t: I have now ordered a set of MF extension tubes which hopefully will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Something to note is that on most teleconverters, putting tubes between the camera and converter will increase the magnification, use the thinnest configuration for the least effect. The Canon TC is a slightly different optical design so using a macro tube may or may not distort the image. Can't remember if anyone has tried it or not, just something nagging in the back of my mind.

Paul.

Something to note is that on most teleconverters, putting tubes between the camera and converter will increase the magnification, use the thinnest configuration for the least effect. The Canon TC is a slightly different optical design so using a macro tube may or may not distort the image. Can't remember if anyone has tried it or not, just something nagging in the back of my mind.

Paul.
That makes sense Paul, I was intending on using the 9mm tube. I know when using an extension tube to reduce the minimum focus distance with DSLR lens that they also increase magnification slightly. I will soon find out if there are any problems but for a fiver its worth a punt.

. The Canon TC is a slightly different optical design so using a macro tube may or may not distort the image. Can't remember if anyone has tried it or not, just something nagging in the back of my mind.

Paul.
I do not know about with the scope Paul but just tried an extension tube between the Camera and 1.4x Canon tc on my 70-200/4 and there is no distortion.

That makes sense Paul, I was intending on using the 9mm tube. I know when using an extension tube to reduce the minimum focus distance with DSLR lens that they also increase magnification slightly. I will soon find out if there are any problems but for a fiver its worth a punt.

You can also leave out all of the rings and just screw the two bayonet fittings together. I've got a couple of sets and they are certainly worth having.

Paul.

Roy

I always appreciate your comments so would be grateful for any thoughts on how these tubes are working for you, assuming you've had a chance to try them yet.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

Roy

I always appreciate your comments so would be grateful for any thoughts on how these tubes are working for you, assuming you've had a chance to try them yet.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony
Hi Tony, I bought a cheap set of MF extension tubes which cost £5 - I am just using the 9mm tube which works fine with the Canon 1.4x tc MkII

Hi Roy

Thanks for your comments. Based on that I'll buy a set. As you said in an earlier post - for £5 you've got little to use.

Thanks again for your time.

Tony

Hi Roy

Thanks for your comments. Based on that I'll buy a set. As you said in an earlier post - for £5 you've got little to use.

Thanks again for your time.

Tony
It may pay to hold off on those cheap tubes Tony - I have been out again today and I am not happy with the way they lock on to the Camera, the little locking pin does not seem long enough and the end is chamfered which means that it does not hold that good. Its back to the drawing board for me, I am still searching for a good quality MF extension tube but the seem to be thin on the ground. In the meantime I am shooting at 600mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back