• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pied or white wagtail (1 Viewer)

JJonskye

Having a little problem I think this is a female pied but cant find any overly great pictures of a White wagtail, what are the if any distinctions between the two. Any help and tips always appreciated.

Thanks
JJ

Attachments

• P 2.jpg
    P 2.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 255
I agree, an alba, it doesn't look dark enough for yarrellii.
The bib is edged with white (fem?) and is quite deep and pointed (male). The mantle colour is light grey, not dark grey so rules out fem Pied imho. Although the nape/mantel transition cannot be seen so cannot tell if sharp or diffuse (male/female) it is clearly a rapid change of colour, black to grey making this a White Wagtail, again, imho.

I was trying to work out if the dark grey blotches near the shoulder were lesser coverts showing through the scapulars and shade effect or actual dark feathers in the scapulars and the mantle. It isn't too pale for a 1st summer female Pied IMO.

Cheers

Roy

OK thank you all for your help and future Id tips as well (Andy/Roy) hope to see more of them on skye and get some better pics to ease identification, thanks again.

Cheers
JJ

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back