• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My thoughts on the Zeiss 10X42SF (1 Viewer)

Good evening from Italy.
I am using the SF 8x42 and the new Swarovski from several weeks. Often, I go out to observe by both. I agree with Kimmo about colors; I judge the Zeiss a little 'more' yellow than Swarovski, while the "Austrian" in certain circumstances has a bluish hue. However, the SF provides the best performance against the light, with less reflections, at least my specimen. Unfortunately neither its has containment of chromatic aberration similar to Kowa Genesis (Prominar) 8.5x44. I observe frequently with all three and the Kowa, in axis, is phenomenal: zero chromatic aberration. Stop.
I like particulary the wide field of Zeiss and it balance, but i love also the highest sharpness and build quality of new Swarovski. However beginning to have doubts: I also have a 8x56 (Minox HG) and I wonder if , at the end, it would be better to have only a 10x50 to do ALL.
"Have only a 10x50 to do ALL"

10x50 SV Swarovski. I use it more than my 8x32 SV. I could get by with just the 10x50.

Someone needs to do a side by side comparison of the Zeiss SF vs the Zeiss HT ....anyone? If we are looking at quality bins here, someone needs to really find these two together and compare and contrast. jim

Someone needs to do a side by side comparison of the Zeiss SF vs the Zeiss HT ....anyone? If we are looking at quality bins here, someone needs to really find these two together and compare and contrast. jim

These two are Brothers-in-arms, recognisably from the same family, with similar qualities of view but with some differences.
I think HT is a little warmer and SF a little cooler and in my previous comparo where I was frankly struggling to find the right words I described the HT view as autumn and the SF view as spring. If this isn't enough info for you, and I can understand why that would be so, you really have to try these for yourself.

HT is usable for a bit longer in the twilight but SF has a wider field of view. They both have excellent handling characteristics to my hands but they are different and its nice to have that choice from Zeiss.

Which is best? Thats for you to decide. Over here we used to have a saying: 'You can't put a fag paper between them'. Back in those days a fag was a cigarette and the paper referred to was that vanishingly thin paper that was stuck to the metal foil that came inside every ciggie packet. In overall desirablity and ability I don't think you can put a fag paper between HT and SF and it may be that differences such as in handling, twilight performance or field of view would be deciding factors when choosing.

If I were choosing between 8x HT and SF I think would go for SF for the wider FOV. If I were looking at 10x I would be kept awake at night agonising over it. HT 10x is a classic with a lovely sparkle to the view, but I can hold the SF steadier for longer.

Ask me tomorrow and likely you would get a different answer.

Lee

If I were choosing between 8x HT and SF I think would go for SF for the wider FOV. If I were looking at 10x I would be kept awake at night agonising over it. HT 10x is a classic with a lovely sparkle to the view, but I can hold the SF steadier for longer.

Ask me tomorrow and likely you would get a different answer.

Lee

There lies my problem, I'm looking at 10x...HT & SF leading the way, and the SV's in the back of my mind....just what I need more decisions :)

There lies my problem, I'm looking at 10x...HT & SF leading the way, and the SV's in the back of my mind....just what I need more decisions :)[/QUDefinitely look at the 10x50 SV or the 50mm apertures in the Zeiss like the 10x54 HT. The 50mm aperture makes a big difference in comfort.

Last edited:
Definitely look at the 10x50 SV or the 50mm apertures in the Zeiss like the 10x54 HT. The 50mm aperture makes a big difference in comfort.

Appreciate the advice, but 50 is just getting too big for my needs,,,mostly bowhunting and big bins get in the way on my chest...going to stick with 42's, an open to suggestions/thoughts of course. ;)

The wind is definitely blowing from the West these days. Now bigger and heavier is the order of the day when smaller and lighter were trumpeted when the wind came from the East...;]

Appreciate the advice, but 50 is just getting too big for my needs,,,mostly bowhunting and big bins get in the way on my chest...going to stick with 42's, an open to suggestions/thoughts of course. ;)

If you plan to use the bins in twilight a lot then I would favour HT.

Lee

If you plan to use the bins in twilight a lot then I would favour HT.

Lee

Lee,
Appreciate the advice, that's exactly where I'm at...the HT.

I have the FL 8X32 & Swaro 8x42 SB and really enjoy the view, but wanting to push for more distance at times. Once late fall/winter arrive, the leaves drop and I need more power...I have the Zeiss Classic 10x40TP, but have to believe the HT 10x42 will be a major improvement ?

I have an opportunity at a pair of SF 10x42's for a great price/like new, but don't need them collecting dust because of an impulsive buy,,,geeze I've bought a lot of glass this year :eek!:

I really should start my own thread, instead of hijacking this one,,,sorry folks o:)

Eric

Lee,

I have the FL 8X32 & Swaro 8x42 SB and really enjoy the view, but wanting to push for more distance at times. Once late fall/winter arrive, the leaves drop and I need more power...I have the Zeiss Classic 10x40TP, but have to believe the HT 10x42 will be a major improvement ?

I have an opportunity at a pair of SF 10x42's for a great price/like new, but don't need them collecting dust because of an impulsive buy,,,geeze I've bought a lot of glass this year :eek!:

I really should start my own thread, instead of hijacking this one,,,sorry folks o:)

Eric

Hi Eric

I have been using a borrowed SF 10x42 and its a brilliant piece of kit, but I would still go for HT for your use. I used to own a Dialyt 10x40 myself although it wasn't a P* and I am sure you would find HT great step forward.

Lee

Hi Eric

I have been using a borrowed SF 10x42 and its a brilliant piece of kit, but I would still go for HT for your use. I used to own a Dialyt 10x40 myself although it wasn't a P* and I am sure you would find HT great step forward.

Lee

I'm figuring the same thing, my Classics have been good to me but there have to be better available today. I can give my Classics to my son, we shoot archery competition tournaments all spring/summer...he will enjoy them over his sub-par Steiner somethings.

I spend 99% of my glassing time just enjoying nature, and watching wildlife...but find that separating the subtle colors of brown grass/trees from brown deer a challenge at times, depending on light conditions.

I have 3 models/mfg in mind, but need to take a long drive to see them all..the HT reviews are hard to ignore.

BTW:Any idea on age of my classics, sn#2531039

I'm figuring the same thing, my Classics have been good to me but there have to be better available today. I can give my Classics to my son, we shoot archery competition tournaments all spring/summer...he will enjoy them over his sub-par Steiner somethings.

I spend 99% of my glassing time just enjoying nature, and watching wildlife...but find that separating the subtle colors of brown grass/trees from brown deer a challenge at times, depending on light conditions.

I have 3 models/mfg in mind, but need to take a long drive to see them all..the HT reviews are hard to ignore.

Eric
One of our biggest thrills is search for and watch European Otters in the Western Isles of Scotland. Frequently these delightful brown animals do their foraging/hunting in amongst brown sea-weeds and they can be difficult to spot. I find HTs really great for watching these animals and especially appreciate their qualities under dull dark skies. So I am sure they will suit you.

Lee

Eric
One of our biggest thrills is search for and watch European Otters in the Western Isles of Scotland. Frequently these delightful brown animals do their foraging/hunting in amongst brown sea-weeds and they can be difficult to spot. I find HTs really great for watching these animals and especially appreciate their qualities under dull dark skies. So I am sure they will suit you.

Lee

That's a great example, and a valuable recommendation coming from you :t:

The HT is at the top of my list, funds are ready to burn...now to get out in the middle of Xmas madness and view the contenders. Everything I read read here, views the HT as better than my FL's...that says a lot in my opinion, because my new FL's are sweet(to my eyes).

The HT will compete against 2 models...1 that probably will produce strong RB to my eyes, and 1 that the eye relief will probably be far too short...budget isn't a concern, just a pleasant easy view is all I require.

Lee,

Eric

Eric:

You are not hijacking at all, the thread was about the SF 10x42.

See my post 45, earlier. You are not done shopping until you have
tried the SF 10x42.

I have some experience with many optics and these are very good.

I have handled the Zeiss HT, but its ergonomics are not as good, and
the wider FOV, and the balance of the SF makes it a better choice.

You mentioned RB, but don't even consider it to be an issue. It is way
overblown on this forum.

I have had the 10x40 B, and I think you would find the SF to be much like
it, with a flatter field, slender barrels, and great handling.

Good luck in your search.

Jerry

Eric:

You are not hijacking at all, the thread was about the SF 10x42.

See my post 45, earlier. You are not done shopping until you have
tried the SF 10x42.

I have some experience with many optics and these are very good.

I have handled the Zeiss HT, but its ergonomics are not as good, and
the wider FOV, and the balance of the SF makes it a better choice.

You mentioned RB, but don't even consider it to be an issue. It is way
overblown on this forum.

I have had the 10x40 B, and I think you would find the SF to be much like
it, with a flatter field, slender barrels, and great handling.

Good luck in your search.

Jerry

Jerry,
Appreciate the help,,,thought I was out-of-bounds hijacking, didn't want to tick anyone off.

I have a great opportunity at a pair of 10x42 SF's now, but have been bouncing around on the HT.

I originally had narrowed it down to 3 models, the RB that I'm concerned with was a SV 10x42...which is why I just bought a new pair of SB 8X42's(mint 2009, to eliminate any RB issue)...and the Leica UV HD+, but the eye relief worries me.

I'm a Zeiss guy in the heart, and own 3 pair that I'm happy with..but now is a good time for me to expand my collection, thus the HT vs SF shuffle.

I have to get out and look thru them, it's the only smart way to go. I've bought ALL of my optics un-seen/un-handled, and it's worked out fine because of excellent advice from BF. But that gamble is going to bite me at some point, as you say the SF may just feel that much better in my hands.

I have a new pair of FL T 8x32's, and enjoy their view and handling a lot...perfect for bowhunting. But the larger 10x42's may lose that balance and ergonomics as size grows.

Bottom line: I've got more glass than brains, and need more...maybe I'm "chasing the dragon" o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back