• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No one spotted the updated SF today? (1 Viewer)

How did I forget the eye cup change! Do you know if they extended the length? I thought it would have been good to have them extend slightly more if they added an additional click. Interesting that the click is more positive. I never thought that to be a problem. The click positions were already noticeably more positive than on the Swaro SV EL models that I have. The use of composite materials never bothered me and so I am glad that stays the same. As mentioned elsewhere, if dropped, the eyecup is more likely to break without damaging the threads in the eyepiece. Zeiss is good about bringing replacement eye cups with them to the shows. I will have to hit them up for the new SF eye cup the next time I see them. Someone posted they work with the original grey models.

The new black armor sounds similar to what is on the Zeiss HT. Is that a close comparison? Personally, I am happy with the grey, since it is a little different and should not get as hot in the sun. I remember you posting a photo of a beautiful grey 6X42 Dialyt.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=527532&d=1420221191

I feel some very slight focus resistance in a couple of spots on my grey SF, but nothing to be concerned about. If Zeiss has now eliminated all of that, well that is a bigger plus. I would assume that for some of the early units that my have more of an issue, Zeiss can incorporate the changes in those original units.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
How did I forget the eye cup change! Do you know if they extended the length? I thought it would have been good to have them extend slightly more if they added an additional click. Interesting that the click is more positive. I never thought that to be a problem. The click positions were already noticeably more positive than on the Swaro SV EL models that I have. The use of composite materials never bothered me and so I am glad that stays the same. As mentioned elsewhere, if dropped, the eyecup is more likely to break without damaging the threads in the eyepiece. Zeiss is good about bringing replacement eye cups with them to the shows. I will have to hit them up for the new SF eye cup the next time I see them. Someone posted they work with the original grey models.

The new black armor sounds similar to what is on the Zeiss HT. Is that a close comparison? Personally, I am happy with the grey, since it is a little different and should not get as hot in the sun. I remember you posting a photo of a beautiful grey 6X42 Dialyt.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=527532&d=1420221191

I feel some very slight focus resistance in a couple of spots on my grey SF, but nothing to be concerned about. If Zeiss has now eliminated all of that, well that is a bigger plus. I would assume that for some of the early units that my have more of an issue, Zeiss can incorporate the changes in those original units.

Thanks for the info!

Bruce

I don't know for sure but I think the new eyecups are a tiny bit longer. And the clicks on my SF are fine too but I have noticed on some earlier models that the clicks were not quite so positive. Regarding the focuser on my SF, if I sit in an armchair in the house to play with the focuser I think i can feel two spots like you that are a little, just a little stiffer, but out in the field I never notice it at all. Not in the slightest, and I can make really fine focus adjustments so I am happy with that.
The armour is more similar to HT now you come to mention it. I still like the grey now that it has grown on me but the black is quite handsome too.

Lee

Lee,

In addition to a focus change, this thread reports the SF will now come with two armor options, the original grey and now black "pigment". The black armor is slightly heavier and has less movement.

Thanks.

HI again Bruce

Checked out my HTs last night and I would say the SFs now have HT armour.

Lee

Thanks Lee. That has me thinking about the Conquest HD line. Does the HT have a little less "black" than the Conquest HD line?

I remember when I first saw the 56mm Conquest HD models, they struck me as having an industrial look to them. I attributed that to the very black armoring and the large size. The 42mm Conquest HD does not give me that impression but I assume it is the same color as the 56mm. The color of the HT never struck me as being as black as the 56mm Conquest, but maybe it is.

Zeiss press release:

"The ZEISS Victory SF binoculars are now available with new product features. Thanks to ongoing development of the focusing system, the user will benefit from even more precise and smoother handling in the future. In addition, an additional click stop has been integrated into the rotating eyecup. The user now has a total of four click stop positions to choose from. Another new feature: the ZEISS Victory SF is now available with new black armoring."

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_d...-releases.html?id=ZEISS-Victory-SF-Binoculars

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/media/img/2016/English/pi-0087_victory-sf_black.jpg

Thanks Lee. That has me thinking about the Conquest HD line. Does the HT have a little less "black" than the Conquest HD line?

Shouldn't we refer to all these as 'binoculars of colour' ? :-O

I will check out HT vs Conquest HD for darkness and report back. :t:

Since I don't perceive green colour casts readily, wouldn't it be embarrassing if I came back and said that, actually, the black armour looks kind of greenish :eek!:

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Bruce

OK I have compared HT 42 with Conquest HD 56 and the HT is a degree blacker.

Turning them around and around in different lights and considering the effect that the smoother Conquest armour has versus the more textured HT's its a definite: HTs are darker, but not by much.

Lee

Zeiss press release:

"The ZEISS Victory SF binoculars are now available with new product features. Thanks to ongoing development of the focusing system, the user will benefit from even more precise and smoother handling in the future. In addition, an additional click stop has been integrated into the rotating eyecup. The user now has a total of four click stop positions to choose from. Another new feature: the ZEISS Victory SF is now available with new black armoring."

http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_d...-releases.html?id=ZEISS-Victory-SF-Binoculars

http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/media/img/2016/English/pi-0087_victory-sf_black.jpg

Quite a jump in price. SW Optics has the 10x listed on pre-order for £2125. Probably has more to do with the drop in Sterling than cost of improvements.

Alan

Thanks Lee for all the colour comparisons. So now when I go to the shows, I will have to start comparing shades of armor colouring in addition to colour balance shown in the view. ;)

I am curious to see how the black looks on the "new" SF. It looks good in some of recently posted close up photos. I am happy with the grey, but if I ever have a discoloration issue, then I doubt going to the black would be a problem.

Thanks Lee for all the colour comparisons. So now when I go to the shows, I will have to start comparing shades of armor colouring in addition to colour balance shown in the view. ;)

I am curious to see how the black looks on the "new" SF. It looks good in some of recently posted close up photos. I am happy with the grey, but if I ever have a discoloration issue, then I doubt going to the black would be a problem.

You're welcome Bruce.

Black SF looks handsome actually, as indeed does Leica's Noctivid.

Lee

I have had the discolouration issue on two pairs of SFs. I enquired at the Birdfair if the black armouring was the same material as the grey and therefore could be subject to similar discolouration. I was told it was. Evidently they are still working on the discolouration issue and I was told to contact them again in 3 months

Regards

David

I have had the discolouration issue on two pairs of SFs. I enquired at the Birdfair if the black armouring was the same material as the grey and therefore could be subject to similar discolouration. I was told it was. Evidently they are still working on the discolouration issue and I was told to contact them again in 3 months

Regards

David

Zeiss will supply white gloves to use with the SF.;)

Zeiss will supply white gloves to use with the SF.;)

... which will leave white marks on the black version ... ;)
That's why I prefer the grey version - the discoloration on mine is grey on grey, quite in line with the trend in modern art ... |^|

Regards

David

I can hardly imagine any Zeiss rep would state what you just said.

Are you sure you were on the right stand?;)

Jan

I can hardly imagine any Zeiss rep would state what you just said.

Are you sure you were on the right stand?;)

Jan

Sorry Jan, I may be missing your point or maybe my post isn't clear but I spoke to two different people during the day, both sat behind the Zeiss desk/work bench. Both said the discolouration was a known issue for some users and the black armouring wasn't a replacement because of this issue. I was given Gary Hawkins business card and advised to contact them in 3 month.

Which point(s) are you having difficulty with?

David

I enquired at the Birdfair if the black armouring was the same material as the grey and therefore could be subject to similar discolouration. I was told it was.

Regards

David

Sounds not very likely that it's the same material if reading what is said about the black armor in this tread.

"On SF, new black armour of a similar nature to Conquest but feels more textured and of a higher density. Certainly it is not 'squashy' like the grey"

"black colored rubber armoring feld like it offered a slightly improved grip compared to the grey one. It's a tiny bit thicker also."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back