• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (3 Viewers)

What is interesting to me is this "Optical Box" on the new CL 8x30. I have never experienced a binocular that has such a wide range of focus. You can change your eye position a LOT without experiencing blackouts. It is almost like having a much larger exit pupil in a much smaller binocular. To me this is ground breaking technology and makes using a smaller aperture binocular like the CL 8x30 much more attractive. You don't need an 8x42 anymore for comfort or brightness. This little 8x30 is as bright as a lot of 42mm binoculars I have used. It is like a 30mm on steroids. This will be controversial but I much prefer the optics of the smaller Swarovski CL 8x30 to the bigger Nikon Monarch MHG 8x42 which I just had. It has sharper edges, better contrast, it was sharper on-axis and had a more relaxed view with less distortion. Also, the new CL 8x30 doesn't have any RB like the SV 8x32 or the other Swarovision's.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

How does the new CL 8x30 view compare to the 8x30 Habicht ?

How does the new CL 8x30 view compare to the 8x30 Habicht ?
I am going by memory because I don't have the Habicht 8x30 now. I consider the Habicht 8x30 view excellent on-axis but my main problem with them was very bad glare especially at steep angles which caused the whole FOV to be unusable and for me the overly stiff focus and stiff eye cups and marginal eye relief. The new 8x30 CL has solved all these problems but it is just as sharp on-axis as the Habicht plus it has a bigger sweet spot with sharper edges. The new CL also has excellent glare control better than the Swarovski 8x32 SV in fact because I compared it to my Nikon 8x30 EII at sunset and found it very close to the EII and the EII has very good glare control. The focuser on the new CL is for me perfect with good tension but very smooth in both directions. Optically the new CL is better than the Nikon 8x30 EII with better contrast and it is sharper on-axis. It is really sharp. I could tell a big difference comparing the CL to the EII looking at tree branches from a distance because the CL brought out detail that the EII couldn't. Another big advantage the CL has over the Habicht is the eye relief. The eye relief is way less critical for black outs than you would expect for a 3.75mm exit pupil. I can stick the eye cups way into my eye sockets without blackouts. I am not sure how Swarovski accomplished that but eye placement is less critical than the 8x32 SV. CA control is excellent also if that is important to you. The FOV seems larger than the stated 400 feet. When I first tried it it gave me that WOW view that the SV 8x32 does. Overall the new CL is an excellent package with the Field Pro strap attachments and case and objective covers and rain guard are all well designed. It is a big improvement over the old model. I ordered mine from a German seller on Ebay and received it in less than week with out a bit of a problem and the seller was excellent. If you want one early Germany seems to have the best prices on it when you figure in shipping. There is a lot of talk about the superiority of porro's like the Habicht and they are excellent in many ways but Swarovski is pouring their research dollars into the roof's and really the Habicht has no optical advantages over the CL outside of more 3D but the CL is just a better birding binocular being way easier and more convenient to use.

Last edited:
I have the new Companion en had the Habicht 8 x 30 in my possession. The new Companion handles glare much better than the Habicht. In my opinion glare is the biggest drawback of the Habicht. But the FOV, color rendering and brightness of the Habicht are phenomenal!

Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.
Swaro, congrets. Very well done.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

The dioptersetting is well hidden in the focusknob, like the SLC used to have, but now much more elegant.

Swaro has brought a masterpiece, but....... with this piece of device, do I still need a 25 or even a 32SV?

For me the answer is No. Where the former Companion IMHO was not a Swarovski worthy piece of optics, this little jewel is from another planet.

Jan

Jan,

I find that I don't get any Blackouts either when I use my Pentax DCF BC 9x32 in the manner that you described while using the new Swarovski 8x30 B above. This Pentax is the first binocular I ever used that I could put back into my eye sockets and get no blackouts from it. What ever this "optical box" is it has been around before.

I wish it had brighter coating on its prisms but it is a $250.00 binocular.

https://www.allbinos.com/1221-Pentax_DCF_BC_9x32-binoculars_specifications.html

It has been replaced by the Pentax AD 9x32 WP which is the exact same binocular except possibly for new coatings.

https://www.allbinos.com/1879-Pentax_AD_9x32_WP-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Kees, post 204,
The test of the new Companions is now accessible on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel
Wow! Nice review. I agree with everything you said having had the older CL companion and now the new CL 8x30. I agree the rain guard is tight but once you get it on it fits perfectly and won't come off in the case but it does make it hard to remove and replace in the field. I am impressed with the 92% transmission for these also. It is impressive how much Swarovski improved these. Thanks, for the review. The top link will take you directly to the review in Dutch and the bottom link will give you the English translation.

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/wp-co...ki-CL-Companion-8x30-en-10x30-dd-dec-2017.pdf
https://translate.google.com/transl...%2Fwp-con...d-dec-2017.pdf&edit-text=&act=url

Last edited:
I have the new Companion en had the Habicht 8 x 30 in my possession. The new Companion handles glare much better than the Habicht. In my opinion glare is the biggest drawback of the Habicht. But the FOV, color rendering and brightness of the Habicht are phenomenal!
The weak points of the Habicht 8x30W are veiling glare and an overly tight focuser. I agree they have a gorgeous on-axis view. I tried 3 different Habicht's 8x30W. For me the CL 8x30 is a MUCH better birding binocular.

Jan,

I find that I don't get any Blackouts either when I use my Pentax DCF BC 9x32 in the manner that you described while using the new Swarovski 8x30 B above. This Pentax is the first binocular I ever used that I could put back into my eye sockets and get no blackouts from it. What ever this "optical box" is it has been around before.

I wish it had brighter coating on its prisms but it is a $250.00 binocular.

https://www.allbinos.com/1221-Pentax_DCF_BC_9x32-binoculars_specifications.html

It has been replaced by the Pentax AD 9x32 WP which is the exact same binocular except possibly for new coatings.

https://www.allbinos.com/1879-Pentax_AD_9x32_WP-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Bob,

A quick internet search learned that the prices down here are between 569,00 and 399,00 euro's for the latest model so again it is US 1-EU 0:-C

Considering the fact the first model is for years on the market now, I wonder why no other company adopted the advantage of this optical box design.

Personally I don't know this model. Down here Pentax is a camera sales channel brand.
I will get my hand on a model soon and will let you know what the comparison will bring to light:t:

Jan

Bob,

A quick internet search learned that the prices down here are between 569,00 and 399,00 euro's for the latest model so again it is US 1-EU 0:-C

Considering the fact the first model is for years on the market now, I wonder why no other company adopted the advantage of this optical box design.

Personally I don't know this model. Down here Pentax is a camera sales channel brand.
I will get my hand on a model soon and will let you know what the comparison will bring to light:t:

Jan

Jan,

B&H in NYC sells them for $276.00.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113202-REG/pentax_62791_9x32_ad_wp_binocular.html

They are made in the Philippines and, as you can see, are a clone of the Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32.

Bob

Last edited:
For years and years, rifle scopes have talked about the eye box. Not really a box but a cylinder. They seem at advertise a minimum eye relief, but you get full fov if you can get your eye anyplace in that eye box, as the cylinder extends rearward,. I realize the optics are different in sights and binoculars, but I wonder if there is some relationship. If interested you can google it. Links go to hunting sites and would be offensive here.

Last edited:
I tried the original version CL 8x30 and I got blackout. I also tried the Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x30 and got blackout.
Same with Opticron BGA 6x32.

Will try the new CL in 8x30 and see how it goes 😀

I tried the original version CL 8x30 and I got blackout. I also tried the Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x30 and got blackout.
Same with Opticron BGA 6x32.

Will try the new CL in 8x30 and see how it goes 😀

Please let us know what you think marinemaster. You and I seem similar in that we both have a lot of trouble with blackouts in binoculars

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back