• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap binoculars to start (1 Viewer)

Sbiriguda

Hello everybody
This is the question all advanced users will hate...
Which is a cheap equipment to start?
I am a complete newbie, I would like to buy binoculars and camera lenses to start birdwatching. Later on I might want to step up to a better equipment if I see I like this activity
I would like to buy binoculars, I would observe mostly birds, I especially like raptors and lake birds that are common in the area of northern Italy where I live.
I considered buying also lenses for mobile phones to use as binoculars/lenses, but honestly i didn't like them that much
I can buy on the internet and wait if necessary (say from China), and I live in continental Europe as i said before
I might travel abroad, also in Asia, and if possible I would like to use the binocular also to watch animals like Dolphins and whales
Thank you for your suggestions

I think starting with the cheapest possible equipment is the wrong approach.
As a „complete newbie“, as you say, you should rather choose something decent or you will be put off by a bad experience with a cheap binocular and will never really take up birdwatching or a similar hobby.
So in my view, you should rather start with a decent bincolar, but on the other hand it is probably too early to start spending too much money on equipment.
So my advice would be to start with something relatively low priced but qualitatively acceptable like a Nikon Action EX 7x35 and then move on from there.

Canip

Last edited:
Thank you Canip for your feedback
Ouch!
In Italy Nikon Action EX 7x35 is priced about 183 Euros, cheapest price on the web...
I was hoping to spend less than that
Anyway, can you make an example of the difference between Nikon Action EX 7x35 and cheaper binoculars, that is why do you consider this the starting point? What kind of things I could and could not see with cheaper binoculars?

The most expensive way to buy gear is to buy less than what you really want and constantly trade up. Get quality and you'll be happy.

Thank you for your support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

B&H Photo has a $200 deal on the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 that is excellent value. Otherwise you will need to look at Porro prism binoculars as low-priced roof prism binoculars are usually mediocre. Consider buying used binoculars.

Can you go to a camera shop and try some out? This way you will be able to see the differences between a good quality pair and a "cheapo"pair.........if you spend too little you won't enjoy using them as others have said.

Thank you all for your answers
I am trying to understand exactly what I need
I agree with those who say that it is better to buy good equipment and to avoid upgrading after, this is what I usually do. I just thought that the price range was different, it seems "good" equipment is like thousands of euros, and "average" is at least 200 or 300 euros
I also would like to understand the weight of the different equipment

I am also considering digiscoping which is a completely different thing. Anyway by now the first thing to do is just to go to a camera shop and try them, to understand the feeling I have with the different kind of binoculars

Hi,

it's rather like a good deal for sth acceptable is 200-300€, good is around 800-1k and top of the line is 2k+.

Used ones could be an option to get sth at a lower price, but I would try to buy used locally, so you can test and walk away if it is not to your taste.

If you really want an entry level pair, the Kowa YF, Leupold Yosemite or Opticron Savanah 8x30 are all very similar and good value. So are entry level Nikon porro models like the Aculon 8x42 or 7x35. Just make sure you can return them if you get a lemon.

PS: Terry ED 8x32 = Terra 8x32

Joachim

Last edited:
Sorry, I misspelled

Zeiss 8x32 Terra ED Binocular is still available on Bhphotovideo

While

Zeiss 10x32 is not available (same binoculars but with 10x magnification)

I have an old Nikon Action 7x35 and do not really like it. Only the centre is sharp and I find the 7x magnification (or perhaps in reality even 6.5) to be rather low. Perhaps the newer EX model is better in that regard. There are many 8x porro's that can be bought for less than 80€. Maybe the Olympus dps 1 is interesting for you. Or the Celestron Landscout 7x35 as recommended by Chris6 in another thread. Roof prism binoculars have their advantages too though, being more compact and waterproof and an acceptable quality roof prism binocular does not need to break the bank. Just picked up a used Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for a very fair price.

The most expensive way to buy gear is to buy less than what you really want and constantly trade up. Get quality and you'll be happy.

Thank you for your support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

maybe self serving but very true
one should get the best optics one can reasonably afford,
granting that beginners do need a trial with less than the best to "test the water"

edj

Last edited:
granting that beginners do need a trial with less than the best to "test the water"

I agree with that. I really enjoyed my entry/ mid range roof prism bin. Sure, it was not the best, but I learned what I could live with in a binocular and what I really did not want in a premium binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back