• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush, San Jose Costa Rica Dec (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
This presumed Thrush in San Jose over Christmas. The buffy eye-ring leads me to Swainson's but could it be Gray-cheeked?. Either way the breast seems rather plain
any help appreciated
thanks
alan

Attachments

• DSC_0982.jpg
    DSC_0982.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0988.jpg
    DSC_0988.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0990.jpg
    DSC_0990.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Andy and birdmeister. its a lifer for me

cheers
alan

Saw loads of Swainson's and a few Wood Thrushes when we were there but didn't get Veery, nice one.

I'm not sure how often you'd get Swainson's on the ground like this either?

A

Saw loads of Swainson's and a few Wood Thrushes when we were there but didn't get Veery, nice one.

I'm not sure how often you'd get Swainson's on the ground like this either?

A

All Catharus, in my experience, frequently forage on the ground, especially in migration and in winter.

Andy

All Catharus, in my experience, frequently forage on the ground, especially in migration and in winter.

Andy

Thanks Andy,
haven't seen Veery anywhere but had the impression that it and Hermit Thrush were more terrestrial than the others?

A

Andy

I agree with this, I think of thrushes as ground foraging birds of the forest mostly, although they do also eat berries. North American birder here. Don't know much about the tropics.

Thanks Andy,
haven't seen Veery anywhere but had the impression that it and Hermit Thrush were more terrestrial than the others?

A

Can't say much about Veery (haven't seen many), but I saw a Hermit Thrush hopping on fallen logs and in low tree branches (2 m and lower) earlier this month.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back