• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filters for the Zeiss 85T FL (1 Viewer)

Jessops used to sell their own make for a lot less - might be worth trying first if you use the scope for photography.

Steve

If you put any UV/Haze Filter on the front of the 85TL, does it still allow you to put on the Zeiss lens cap?
Do you think adding a filter is a good (or necessary) protective measure?

Kenko 86mm filters are advertised on E-Bay for £30.00, while Hoya online (http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/lst122.htm) have them for around £53.00.

Cheers

Stuart R

Last edited:
I haven't used a filter yet although I keep meaning to - the cost of a new front element wouldn't be worth thinking about, I bet! I'm sure the lens cap will still fit - not that it's an easy fit at the best of times, don't you find? I wish Zeiss had made it a touch deeper.

Drop an email to Zeiss and ask their recommendations - they are a very helpful crowd indeed.

Just ordered the 86mm 1B skylight filter from B&H

I just ordered the 86mm 1B skylight filter from B&H photo and I`ll give you my oppinion on it once I check it out. It`s $79. :bounce:

robert s said:
I just ordered the 86mm 1B skylight filter from B&H photo and I`ll give you my oppinion on it once I check it out. It`s $79. :bounce:

Many thanks

Look forward to reading your thoughts once you have got the filter in position.

Cheers

Stuart R

Stuart -

Do you think adding a filter is a good (or necessary) protective measure?

OH YES ! ! ! !

About 3 months after purchasing my Leica scope (APO 77), I was crossing through a hedge using a style (a narrow wooden step / gate) with my scope slung over my shoulder when I heard a harsh scraping noise - there was a strand of barbed wire within the hedge and it had dragged along the filter attached to my scope leaving a 2 inch scratch on the glass.

Result - bin £50 of filter and saved £1200 of scope.

I have just this week purchased an 82mm Hoya Super HMC UV filter (12 layers of coating - top quality) from a US eBay shop for US$55 which included freight costs to Australia. This is roughly £30.

Checked out the 86mm 1B skylight filter.

At lower powers it seems okay but it takes the oh wow facter out of the scope at higher mags. There`s a very noticeable degradation in the sharpness at 60 power I would `nt use it for diging but I would use it if I were trudging through brush the cap fits fine with it but It only seems of use as a protecton devise. Well putting a 80 dollar piece of glass in front of a 1400 dollar scope I should have figured that out before hand. Live and learn. B :)

Last edited:
robert s said:
...Well putting a 80 dollar piece of glass in front of a 1400 dollar scope I should have figured that out before hand. Live and learn. B :)
Well - the scope has many elements including fluorite glass as well as a good deal of complex design and engineeering so I'm not quite sure about the argument here.

That said, the scope was not designed to have an extra element, even a planar one, stuck up front. I'd be interested in what Zeiss themselves have to say about the use of a protective filter - I'm sure they will have tested the scope that way.

Last edited:
Heliopan makes the 86 mm UV SH-PMC Filter NR. 2023, a multi-coated UVA/B filter with threads that match the 85 T* FL. The Zeiss lens cap fits this filter.

It's performance can be found at: <www.heliopan.com/helio3.htm>.

B&H Photo is one source; I purchased one from a local retailer for $140. (CAD), distributed in Canada by Amplis.

BTW, Creedmoor sells a nice tripod-ready cover for this scope for $35. (USD), compared to $167. for a Zeiss product from B&H.

Great scope; hope you don't need it serviced out-of-warranty. I waited 5 months for a sunshade to be replaced in Germany (and Zeiss wasn't waiting for parts). If your scope is a little older, be sure to get the estimate for a repair -- you may be surprised to know this will represent a healthy discount on a new scope.

Mike Penfold

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back