• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Thursday, May 24

Getting very few new things (as you can imagine, with migration thoroughly over and done with around here); but also, letting myself get behind on bookkeeping a bit...

65. House Wren

Wow, Jeff, you got a "boat load" of birds recently!

I had missed migrating warblers in the SF Bay Area and the weather in the city was terrible for birding. Given that, I was happy with my total of 50 species in about 7 hours of birding. I missed out on some birds I really wanted to see, though, like Golden Eagle, Phainopepla and White-throated Swift.

Jeff

Currently up to 227, which is only a few short of my full list from last year, with a number of easy species still missing. Most recent additions were from a trip May 20-24, where I added the following species:

213. Grey-cheeked Thrush
214. Ruddy Turnstone
215. Great Egret
216. Black-bellied Plover
217. Dunlin
218. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
219. Yellow-breasted Chat
220. Ring-necked Pheasant
221. Whimbrel
222. Sanderling
223. Black-billed Cuckoo
224. Alder Flycatcher
225. Prothonotary Warbler
226. Common Nighthawk
227. Connecticut Warbler

All seen in Ontario, but a few species were first seen for the year on the other side of the Niagara River in New York or Ottawa River in Quebec (looking from Ontario)

Reuven, seems like you are moving right along!

I would love to get a good look at a Connecticut Warbler! I have seen it once or twice here in Missouri, but not real satisfying looks.

One new bird today, so I'm up to 209 for the year.

209. Canada Warbler

Unfortunately, it was a couple of miles over the state line in Maryland. It would have been a great bird to add to my West Virginia life and year lists.

Dave

Two state lifers today, although neither was a new bird for the year. I added Hermit Thrush and Canada Warbler to my West Virginia life list, which is now up to 171.

Ironically, I just got my year Canada Warbler two days ago just over the state line in Maryland. That sighting gave me an idea of the habitat in which to look for Canada Warblers--high-altitude hemlock groves with a heavy understory of rhododendrons and blueberry bushes. I heard then saw one within a few minutes of leaving my car. (Prior to this, I only rarely saw Canada Warblers on migration and not in their breeding habitat).

Dave

242 last year, set myself a target of 250 for 2012 as a challenge and hit 243 today so looking good and it's taking me to some wonderful places which is the whole reason I set the target.

check out my blog for more details of the chase

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

While I am down in southern Missouri doing some grassland birds surveys for the Missouri Department of Conservation, I added three more birds to my Missouri Year List.
June 9th:
238. Mississippi Kite, Schell-Osage Conservation Area, El Dorado Springs, Missouri
239. Osprey, Truman Lake, Clinton, Missouri

June 11th:
240. Swainson's Hawk, near Prairie State Park, Lamar, Missouri.
* I have a couple more surveys to do the next two days.

My list has come to a grinding halt, partly because I haven't done much birding lately. I hope things will change from tomorrow, though, as we're doing the long drive down to the Lower Rio Grande Valley. We'll only have 2 days there but should see some interesting birds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Green Kingfisher - a pretty common bird really but one I've never yet managed to see.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

My first new year bird in almost two weeks. It was also a state lifer, number 172.

210. Golden-winged Warbler

I also heard several Yellow-billed Cuckoos in the area where I saw the warbler, but didn't see any. As I don't count heard birds, I'll have to go back soon and see if I can actually spot one.

Dave

241. Western Wood-Pewee, Lake Lottawana, Missouri (First detected several days ago by Chris Hobbs, a Kansas City area birder.)

* Potentially a first state record for Missouri.
** It is a new "Missouri Bird" for me. (Also a new 2012 Missouri Bird for me.)
*** I have seen this species previously but in other states, 2002 (San Diego, California), 1998 (Pawnee Prairie, Colorado), 1995 (Portal, Arizona) and 1994, (Genesee Park, Denver, Colorado)

Nice going with the W Wood-Pewee, Larry!

I still didn't get Green (or Ringed) Kingfisher on my Rio Grande Valley trip over the weekend but added 20 other birds.

278 Plain Chachalaca
279 Wood Stork
280 Harris's Hawk
281 Common Ground Dove
282 White-tipped Dove (lifer)
283 Red-crowned Parrot (lifer)
284 Greater Roadrunner
285 Groove-billed Ani
286 Brown-crested Flycatcher
287 Couch's Kingbird
288 Tropical Kingbird
289 Rose-throated Becard (lifer)
290 Green Jay
291 Chihuahuan Raven (lifer)
292 Clay-colored Thrush (lifer)
293 Long-billed Thrasher
294 Olive Sparrow
295 Lark Sparrow
296 Bronzed Cowbird (lifer)
297 Altamira Oriole

This trip took my Texas year list to 272 species, so I'm certainly on track to meet my year's target of 300 species in Texas.

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back