• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HI and wood duck advice needed (1 Viewer)

jfv

Hi, I'm new to this forum. We enjoy our backyard birding - bluebirds, chickadees, titmouse, woodpeckers, cardinals, etc...and also our waterbirds - herons, osprey, wood storks. But I have a concern that maybe you can help me out with....

We have three wood duck boxes that have just been placed in our water this season. Two of them are on their second brood. The third one has the hen still sitting on the eggs. She has been in there a long time and is not scared off by us peeking in using a mirror. The other ones have always been scared when we approach. The eggs should have hatched by now. Do you think we should clean the box out so they can start over?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Hi JFV, a warm welcome to you from Staff, Admin and Moderators from Bird Forum.

One of my favorite ducks, woodies! My advice would be to leave the nest alone, she may be a late nester and you cleaning out the box would make her later yet. They manage well without our interference in the backwaters so I'd be inclined to sit back and view the action, those little puffs of yellow will be popping out any day now!
Hope you enjoy the Forum and all it offers.

Welcome, JFV!

Let me second Bob's advice. I'm much further north than you, in Indiana, and woodies will nest as late as mid-July or even early August (I've seen tiny woodies following Mom nearly as late as Labor Day).

Just please don't disturb the nest -- wouldn't want Mom to abandon it!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back