• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (3 Viewers)

Still 3 Wheatears on the fresh workings this afternoon. Lapwing numbers increased to 21+. At least one Yellow-legged Gull in with the LBBs and Herrings. A Siskin and half a dozen House Martins over. My first visit since the majority of the bank has gone, quite disorientating! Looking great though. A couple of local yoofs looked to be reccying the site - when do the sniper turrets go up? ;)

Matt.

I have two Direct Fire Missions on call from AS90s on Salisbury Plain just in case the oiks return!

Last edited:
In between shopping trips and my daily Costa coffee fix I quickly visited Tice's this morning. 3 Shoveler present along with 2 Tufted Duck on the workings. At least 3 Green Sandpiper were flushed on the walk around. The recently laid top soil at the north end of the workings was a magnet to 20+ Meadow Pipits, at least 9 Skylark and 2 Northern Wheatear. No sign of any Greenland Race birds - all were definitely Northerns with one male still clearly in breeding plumage; the other was a 1st winter bird. Rich H and I had Redwing and Fieldfare in Suffolk and Norfolk yesterday so look out for both species soon.

Rich

Last edited:
Reports from Rich H last night stated that he had a further 2 'Greenland' Wheatear along with the now daily Barnacle Goose and 2 returning Snipe. This has been a cracking year for Wheatear with records of lateness everyday. As far a I know we have had only 1 record of Greebland Race before and am surprised they have not been on the radar previously; they are certainly a much dumpier and strikingly plumaged bird with the white 'super' obvious at some distance. Looking at records of Greenland elsewhere, most notibly from the east coast it is obvious that our positive trend is replicated elsewhere.

He also had 600 Canada Geese - this is a record.

Rich

Strong easterlies until Sunday. A good number of Yellow-browed Warblers on the east coast and the odd Red-franked Bluetail. Things looking up as there are masses of thrushes over barracks this morning. Eary start at Tice's tomorrow I think.

At Tices for first light, still 2 Green Sandpiper, Kingfisher, Little Grebe, Snipe in the overflow pit but very little else on the workings. A single Wheatear on the fresh excavations, along with at least 6 Skylark, & 4 Meadow Pipit. A flock of 20 + Redwing over, juv Stonechat & 2 Reed Buntings in the Reedbed.

John.

John, don't know how we missed each other as was there with Rich H at the same time. Didn't connect with the Wheatear or Stonechat but did add 2 Teal in the workings along with 2 Buzzard around the edges.

Vis Mig of Redwing over towards the west and good numbers of Pied Wagtail passing through.

John, don't know how we missed each other as was there with Rich H at the same time. Didn't connect with the Wheatear or Stonechat but did add 2 Teal in the workings along with 2 Buzzard around the edges.

Vis Mig of Redwing over towards the west and good numbers of Pied Wagtail passing through.

As no-one was at home I returned to Tice's. I found the Wheatear and a number of Black-Headed Gulls were also present. 3 Grey Heron on the workings and the spring-like weather ( a change from this morning's frost) had brought in a calling Chifchaff and Speckled Woods on the wing. Siskin overhead calling.

Last edited:
A third trip mid-afternoon produced little else but glorious sunshine. Several Lesser Black-backs and a Herring but no sign of the adult Yellow-legged Gull reported on Birdguides. 46 species in total today which I suppose is not too bad.

Last edited:
A foggy start this morning with the usual suspects present on the workings. Nothing of interest despite a long walk around although 2, perhaps 3, Green Sandpiper were seen, one flying in from the north west.

A productive mid-late morning session for me (10:00-12:30). Bumped into Graham by the workings, who pointed out the 2 Wheatear showing well in the usual area, one of which we picked out as a Greenland. Lots of Skylarks (10+). Two, possibly three Green Sandpiper flushed from the deep pool, and later a Common was seen flying in that direction. 4 Shoveler and 2 Cormorant flew up from the workings. 2 Snipe were flushed from the meadow by dog walkers. A Common Gull circled over for a bit, as well as a couple of Buzzard. Good movements overhead too, with at least 20 Redwing, 1 Fieldfare, 2 Swallow passing through. Also a loose flock of 30-odd Siskin flying about, in amongst which I heard a couple of Redpoll near the wood between Tices and Tongham, where there were also at least 2 Bullfinch calling which I wasn't able to spot.

Matt.

A productive mid-late morning session for me (10:00-12:30). Bumped into Graham by the workings, who pointed out the 2 Wheatear showing well in the usual area, one of which we picked out as a Greenland. Lots of Skylarks (10+). Two, possibly three Green Sandpiper flushed from the deep pool, and later a Common was seen flying in that direction. 4 Shoveler and 2 Cormorant flew up from the workings. 2 Snipe were flushed from the meadow by dog walkers. A Common Gull circled over for a bit, as well as a couple of Buzzard. Good movements overhead too, with at least 20 Redwing, 1 Fieldfare, 2 Swallow passing through. Also a loose flock of 30-odd Siskin flying about, in amongst which I heard a couple of Redpoll near the wood between Tices and Tongham, where there were also at least 2 Bullfinch calling which I wasn't able to spot.

Matt.

That's it - not getting up early again! There have been tweets reference the public at Tice's. The meadow might be a victim of its own success and I foresee issues with access in the future. There were 5 seperate dog owners on the meadow at the same time yesterday and 1 tetering on the edge of the old sludge lagoon at the north end of the workings. 1 dog owner tramped straight through the boggy centre. There has been talk of re-fencing which I must admit I support.

Rich

There has been talk of re-fencing which I must admit I support.

I agree Rich, I forsee issues if access isn't controlled. That is why I tend to visit early to avoid the dog walkers / local yoofs.

John.

Yes, I agree. At least four or five dog walkers while I was there on Sunday morning, two of whom walked right through the middle of the mud while we were watching the Wheatears! I suppose the only saving grace was they put their dogs on leads, but I have a feeling that may only have been because Graham and I were there. As I was leaving I saw one couple with two large dogs, walking right the way round the back of the workings in the direction of the quarry.

Matt.

Still 3 Wheatears present this morning & showing very well, along with good no's of Skylark & Meadow Pipit. Single Green sandpiper seen in flight, 3 Teal, 2 Sparrowhawks, 2 Egyptian Geese on the workings, 4 Reed Buntings, & 8 Lapwings also noted.

John.

Nothing much to add to your tally, John, from my later trip (11:15-13:15). 2-3 Bullfinch calling in the bushes on the path in, but again they stayed hidden. I only managed to find 2 Wheatear, but they were very flighty. 2 Buzzard about, one of which gave incredibly close views as it hovered over the workings. A handful of Siskin and the odd Redpoll over, but no winter thrushes.

Matt.

Good to meet you this morning John...thanks for giving me a peak through your scope and answering my beginner questions!

I added a fair few species to my lists this morning :) Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Eygptian Goose, Goldfinch, Starling, Green Sandpiper all new for me.

Still 2 Wheatear present today, I managed some reasonable pics of 1 of them, 2 Green Sandpiper, Reed Bunting, 2 Teal, Grey Wagtail, several each of Skylark & Meadow Pipit, & a Kestrel was hunting over the hedgerows. Bumped into Matt Phelps who added some other species & will be along later to elaborate I'm sure. Dave Baker also reported good views of a bathing Peregrine in the workings this morning. On a sadly negative note, I witnessed a dog walker allow her 2 dogs to chase the feeding Canada Geese on the meadow. I think that it is now essential to re-fence off the site to prevent any further incidents such as this.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back