• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous-throated Sapphire (1 Viewer)

TimGeR

Hi,
I have had repeated observations over the last few weeks of what I am sure is a female/immature Rufous-throated Sapphire. It is quite a distinctive bird, always in the same territory and shows well for good periods of time at close range so I am sure of the id. However, it seems to be way out of range in Sucre in the central highlands of Bolivia at an altitude of 2700m more or less???
Thanks,
Tim

Well, maybe...

Hi Tim,

2700m seems much too high for Rufous-throated Sapphire; they're usually in the lowlands, though they do occur in Bolivia. Have you been able to get a photo/video you can post? Have you seen for example an Amethyst-throated Sunangel you could compare it to? I'm envious that you get to be there to investigate! :)

Good luck, Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a photo to post but having compared the bird with online photos it is a 100% match for a female Rufous-throated Sapphire. As you say, the available range info indicates the bird shouldn't be there. That said, to say observation effort here is low would be an understatement. I am curious regarding the accuracy of range info in Bolivia in general because away from the normal birding trail (and Sucre is not on it) I don't think many people are out there looking.
Tim

Hi Tim,
RT Sapphire is very widespread throughout the Amazon basin, including Bolivia, it's just 2700m is highly unusual. Have you been in contact with Bennett Hennessey at Bird Bolivia (www.birdbolivia.com)? He's very knowledgeable and helpful. They've got a lot of info on their site as well...

Jim

These photos are very, very poor quality. However, they are the best I can do with a point-and-shoot. In the photo of the bird perched, it does have white tips on the tail corners, it isn´t just the light. The bill is reddish, tipped black and almost straight. The belly is dirty-cream.
Tim

Attachments

• RtS1.JPG
    RtS1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 73
  • RtS2.JPG
    RtS2.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 79
Hi Tim,

I think the breast is too grayish to be a Rufous-throated Sapphire; this bird also has a postocular spot. Could your bird be a male Fawn-breasted Brilliant? The breast would best be described as dirty-cream, although there is little if any red in the bill...

HTH, Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back