• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buff-bellied Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

cbrownin

Just wanted to share this shot I was able to get of a Buff-bellied Hummingbird.

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 259
Nice one thanks for sharing. Is that a white eye-spot?

It looks not unlike the Chestnut-bellied Hummingbirds which we get near here and I can also see the similarity with a Rufous-tailed. Perhaps not totally surprising since they're all genus Amazilia.

Thank you for the comments. I just started birding in March of ths year although I have been interested in birds all my life. I am totally addicted now and take my binoculars and camera with me every time I leave the house. I am a strange birder in that I don't feel I can "count" a bird unless I can get a picture of it, which, I think is opposite of most serious birders...anyway, I digress... I took this picture at the World Birding Center in Edinburg, Texas, Edinburg Scenic Wetlands. This fellow would perch, then fly away, always returning to this exact spot after a minute or so. Overall I observed him and another male for about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was hoping it was here. I know they frequent the lower Rio Grande. Hope I get to see one some day.

Thanks, I was hoping it was here. I know they frequent the lower Rio Grande. Hope I get to see one some day.

Along the TX coast they are supposed to reach quite a bit north of there in summer, the ABA guide to the coast mentions places in both Corpus Christi and in Aransas.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back