• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home made doubler idea (1 Viewer)

Either the TC will go straight on, or an adapter will be needed, depending on the thread sizes. As in 44mm to 58mm adapter, then the TC. Just depends on the thread sizes.

I will recommend an adapter to you, once I know the thread sizes. They should be in milimeters.

EDIT: the thread size is 58mm, so the TC's should screw right in.

Great, thanks for finding that out; I checked with a ruler and the thread size is indeed 58 mm on the Canon 18x50 IS's.
So I wouldn't need an adapter is that what you say?

I'll nose around in a few camera shops, and take my bins so I can immediately see the result.
I hope it works out fine, will need a new tripod as well, my old one was used for an angled scope I don't have anymore, it is not tall enough for my 6'4".

Might take some time because I have a lot on my mind right now, so don't hold your breath...

Best regards, thanks for your commitment,

Ronald

Hey Wanderer and Ronald, it is so awesome that you guys figured this out, especially since you have a mechanical connection using the threads so it is repeatable and secure. I hope you try it and let us know how it works. This would make the IS bins twice as useful, possibly better than carrying a spotting scope. Might have to give them consideration for the future. Please let us know how it works out.

The credits go to Wanderer for his expertise on TC's which I know nothing about, and to you as well since you started this very interesting thread in the first place, Statestat!

There's a lot to say in favour of the IS bins; the Canon 18x50's have already replaced my scope, they're awesome but that's just my opinion,
as I do like to see birds as they are in the books: big and clear. :t:

Search the Canon forum, maybe you'll get binhungry...:eat:

This thread has led me into a new direction that I wasn't aware of.
Maybe I'll get the 15x50 IS's or the 10x42 L IS's sooner than I thought necessary. We'll see. I have to have some outstanding lowlight bins as well.
My budget requires some compromise thinking, as in Canon 15x50's, or I'll get a specialized big aperture bin for my night prowling and the Canons have to wait.

I don't know what to decide, but as it took me two years to decide to buy the big mag Canon, I'm not one who rushes things. :cat:

Best regards,

Ronald

To be more specific:

If you look closely to the pic of the TC, you can see that the bottom end is not threaded.
This unthreaded bit is probably no problem on a camera lens, but it looks like it gets in the way on my Canon bins objective because the washer that holds the bin's objective window is right under the screw thread in the objective tube and may act as a physical barrier. The thread itself on the bin's objective is too shallow to compensate.

So it looks.
Damn again.

I'll search for other TC brands.

Regards, Ronald

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCL-DH1758-Conversion-Digital-Camera/dp/B0009OAFJ8

The Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7x 58mm thread. Click "see larger picture".

Not decisive, but there's a hint it threads all the way down. Can't see it properly.

Regards, Ronald

Best thing to do is try them out myself in a shop.
Yes, the best thing is to try it in a shop.
I use the Sony and it has threads all the way to the bottom. It's a good choice and has good quality optics.

From the looks of your Canon, there's very little room to spare. Weight may be an issue. The weight of the TC compared to how much thread you get. If you can find a shop with the Sony TC, try it out. I think it will work.

I would get a couple of cheap 58mm filters and remove the glass from them. Then thread the filters into the Canon and the TC's into the filters.

With the filter retainer & glass removed from the filters, you will have more threads for the TC and the filter (naturally) fits well in the Canon. (I've done this stuff before..........).

Attachments

• cana1.jpg
    cana1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Glad to see you are keeping at it, frustrating as it may be. Sounds like using the filters as a coupler would work as the Wander suggests. You are breaking new ground so as a trailblazer you pave the way for others so hang in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back