• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification ? ( Hummingbird Feeder Thief ! ) (1 Viewer)

Bobbo

Hey guys & gals ...

I have a bird of unknown species raiding my hummingbird feeder for it's nectar . Can anyone out there help me identify what type of bird this is ? It looks a bit like a woodpecker ???

Attachments

• mysterybird_zps62229a99.jpg
    mysterybird_zps62229a99.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 99
A Downy and mine are always sitting and sipping from the hummer feeders. Somewhere, I even have a picture of a Downy on one side of the feeder and a hummer on the opposite side ;)

Yep, our Gila Woodpeckers love to drink the nectar.
In addition to the Gila Woodpeckers, I also see Hooded Orioles. And one other small grayish bird (darker gray wings, lighter gray undersides), smaller than a Lesser Goldfinch. It is quite acrobatic, hanging from the hummingbird dish feeders. I think it is a Bush Tit. Would you know what this little bird is Lisa? (Sorry, no pictures.)

Question: Do most woodpeckers drink nectar from hummingbird feeders?

I think most Woodpeckers end up eating quite a bit of sap, particularly those species that utilise live trees, so the move to Hummer feeders is a reasonable extension of this. As for other species, it could be that, after the breeding season, any easy source of a high energy meal isn't going to be passed up.

Chris

BTW I will get Gila Woodpecker on my life list - one day. ;)

C

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back