• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I saw the Red-Footed Falcon in Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

Milo

Hello to all. I am a new member as of today.

Many of you may have heard the news that a Red-Footed Falcon has been spotted on Martha's Vineyard Island off the East Coast of Massachusetts, USA. I believe this falcon's normal range is from Eastern Europe (especially Russia) to Africa. This is the first time that one has been seen on the North American continent. It was just a twist of fate that this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for birders happened to occur literally in my own backyard. I thought you might like to share my first-hand experience viewing this rarity.

I live on Martha's Vineyard and just started birding last winter. As a new birder, please forgive my simplistic description of my experience. Yesterday morning (Saturday, August 14th) was a beautiful sunny morning so I drove out to Katama which is about 8 miles from my home to see if I could get a glimpse of the new celebrity visitor. There must have been 200 birders there lining the fence along the grass runway which is very near the beach and the Atlantic Ocean beyond. They had come on a pilgrimage from all parts of the country.

When I arrived at 9:00 am the falcon was way up in the air out towards the ocean being followed and "harassed" by a flock of tree swallows that must have thought it was intruding on their territory or in fear of attack by it. The grassy airfield is usually full of tree swallows and barn swallows swooping over the large meadow-like expanse.

Within about 10 minutes, the red-footed falcon came back to the airfield and sat on its favorite yellow runway sign about 50 yards from the road where we were standing. Small planes would taxi down the grass runway almost right next to the bird who just ignored it and sat there preening itself. The views of it through binoculars and scopes were fantastic. It would occasionally swoop and hover around that sign and then landed on a nearby perch of straight upstanding sticks. At one point it appeared to be munching on a grasshopper it had caught.

At about 9:35 am it took off again and did the most exciting air show for us. A birder from Ohio remarked: "Did someone pay it to do that performance for us?" It swooped, it dived, it glided with outstretched tail feathers and twice flew directly overhead, making us strain backwards to get the most exceptional views ever. Every time the falcon performed a stunning feat of aeronautics, an audible gasp would erupt from this crowd of birders. This is the first time I have ever been amongst such a large gathering of professional birders and the experience was invigorating.

At about 10:00 am, after resting on a different airport sign for a while, it took off and heading towards the ocean again. It could be seen clearly through binoculars way up in the air and was again being pestered by a group of swallows, but obviously having the time of its life. There is another large open field nearer the ocean where it supposedly does most of its hunting, but so far has always returned to the little airfield to roost and rest. I feel sorry for it being here all alone with no companion falcon and wonder if it will stay. It is a young male and obviously seems very happy here for the moment with everything it could desire - good hunting ground and strong sea breezes and updrafts on which to soar.

David Sibley was here this past Wednesday and, according to the new section on his website, spent 6 hours studying the falcon for identification. Hopefully it will appear in his next edition of Birds of the Eastern United States as an accidental. You can view the illustrations he made of it based on his visit at: http://sibleyguides.com/redfootedfalcon.htm

I am sorry that my first posting is such a long one, but thought my experience would be interesting to all of you. I guess there is nothing like the enthusiasm of a new birder at his first major siting. If any of you are considering a trip to Martha's Vineyard to view the Red-Footed Falcon, I will be happy to give you any advice travelwise or otherwise. However, attempting to come to Martha's Vineyard in the peak tourist season is a bit of a chore. Hopefully our intriguing little visitor will stick around for a while. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Wonderful for you - and a wonderful account for us to read, too, not simplistic at all. Those were very fine illustrations on the web link you gave, as well. Thanks, Milo - you lucky fella!

Wow, Milo, what a great experience! Thank you for sharing this with us and making most of us, I'm sure, absolutely green with envy that we're not able to see this beautiful bird first-hand.

Thanks also for that link to Sibley's ID discussion. Most interesting.

Welcome Milo. Thnks for the information about the falcon. I love these birds. We've seen them on Lesvos in May and always search for them whilst we're there. Those & Eleanora's falcons are two of my favourites.

Sandra

Welcome to the Forum Milo, and what a start. they sure are a lovely falcon, and you must be well pleased to have had such a cracking view of his display's. Hope to hear more of your reports.
bert.

I enjoyed reading your account. One, Edge Wade, of Columbia, Missouri, was one of the crowd which was gathered there to view the falcon. She flew out to MA to see the falcon and is now back in Missouri. Three hardy birds from Missouri and planning to drive out to MA and try for the bird. It will be a round trip of 2800 miles! Whew! And because of other committments they plan to drive out, see the bird and then turn around a come back. Birders are some kind of crazy people!

I am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Wow Milo, I had goosebumps after reading your account of the day with the Red-footed Falcon. I cannot imagine what it would be like standing with a bunch of birders from all over and witnessing this extraordinary sight. Definitely a chance of a lifetime and my congratulations to you for covering every aspect of your sighting so well. :t:

Milo said:
David Sibley was here this past Wednesday and, according to the new section on his website, spent 6 hours studying the falcon for identification. Hopefully it will appear in his next edition of Birds of the Eastern United States as an accidental. You can view the illustrations he made of it based on his visit at: http://sibleyguides.com/redfootedfalcon.htm

David Sibley wrote in the above mentioned page:
"The key feature used to separate adult male (Western) Red-footed Falcon Falco vespertinus from the closely related Amur Falcon Falco amurensis is the color of the underwing coverts. These are all gray in adult Red-footed and all white in adult Amur."

So check this chinese page out to see an adult Amur Falcon showing those white underwing coverts: :eek!:
http://www.wwfchina.org/birdgallery/showpic.shtm?id=1951

Finally I invite you to visit my blog where you will find a photo, taken in Italy, of two young Red-footed Falcons on the nest, besides other photos of Eleonora's Falcon and Lesser Kestrel:
http://birdingitaly.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Menotti Passarella
http://www.birdingitaly.net/

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back