• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea, N 57º 45.50' E 001º 47.10' (1 Viewer)

AJTaylor

Looks to me like a Female Black Redstart, can anyone confirm or correct?
I am working on a ship currently approx. 220km/130miles off the North East Coast of Scotland, if you draw a line from Peterhead to the southern tip of Norway we are about half way.. Just seems a bit further north than its usual territory.

Attachments

• Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Not really Peter - they don't breed this far north in the UK, but are pretty regular during spring and autumn.

Looks to me like a Female Black Redstart, can anyone confirm or correct?
I am working on a ship currently approx. 220km/130miles off the North East Coast of Scotland, if you draw a line from Peterhead to the southern tip of Norway we are about half way.. Just seems a bit further north than its usual territory.

They breed Denmark and southern Scandinavia and further East so not out of range at all. What's the weather like there last night and today.

They breed Denmark and southern Scandinavia and further East so not out of range at all. What's the weather like there last night and today.

Weather been quite settled over the last few days but early last week we had strong to gale force winds from the West & South West could be that it has been resting on the North Everest Platform we are working alongside since then.
there are a few Robins out here as well but only seen the Redstart singley so whether it is the same one I keep seeing or or different ones I do not know

Weather been quite settled over the last few days but early last week we had strong to gale force winds from the West & South West could be that it has been resting on the North Everest Platform we are working alongside since then.
there are a few Robins out here as well but only seen the Redstart singley so whether it is the same one I keep seeing or or different ones I do not know

Birds can stop and rest in mild weather also, would be interesting to here of any other birds you see, even common birds like Robin, anyone interested in bird migration would like to follow.
You could open a thread on the migration topic

Regards, John

I may do, I go home on Wednesday but only for 2 weeks this time then back out for 4 weeks, we do get some oddities, lately had a Goshawk & a Kestrel that were feeding of a variety of Gold Crests starling, redwing and other wee birds. fog seems to bring the most hitch hikers, they seem to settle at night on anything that shows lights then hang about until it clears

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back