• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Gull Bavaria/Germany (1 Viewer)

i-Birder

Hello,

a local birder found this gull an a pond near Schweinfurt/Germany today and asked me for my opinion:

I am fairly confident that it is a 2nd winter caspian gull.

Although there are some points that puzzle me:
-> there is apparently no streaking on head or neck
-> the mantle shows too light a tone of grey
-> in the flight shot some of the inner primaries seem to be already 3rd generation feathers

But there is a white mirror on P10...

Well, I stand to be corrected...

Attachments

• DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00067.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 100
no doubt about this: 3cy caspian.

Absolutely, although the lack of streaking on the neck is unusual perhaps.

A similarly plumaged 3rd winter Herring should show white tips to the primaries. The black centred tertials are a useful feature although Herring Gull can show this too although perhaps not to such a great extent.

Flight shot is very useful as it shows the all important mirror in P10 which again is a very useful feature to note but can also be found in some (Argentatus?) Herring (and can be lacking, IMO, from some Caspians).

Certainly enough features evident on this bird to be sure that it is a Caspian.

structure usually is the best clue - bill shape (thin, parallel edged and pointed tip), long thin legs and high breast are apparent in this ind. yes, p10 mirror is found in the majority of 2nd winter cachinnans but not all. collar (neck streaking) is often lost towards spring due to wear and onsetting moult towards 2nd summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back