• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching magazine (1 Viewer)

Kirsty

I have a friend who works in publishing and she is currently working on a birdwatching-related book. She wondered what magazines there are out there that are aimed at UK birdwatchers that she might be able to approach for advertising/features. I'm aware of Birds Illustrated (having bought a subscription for my other half) and the RSPB magazine but that's about it. I know there are many more from looking at some of the threads in this forum. I wondered if anyone would have the time and inclination to tell me the names of the main ones with perhaps a word on whether they're aimed at the amateur birdwatcher or are more technical/biological, or whether they have a slant towards recent sightings, or indepth analysis of species/places, or perhaps fabulous photographs. Any information anyone can give me will be very gratefully received, thank you.
Kirsty

Kirsty said:
I have a friend who works in publishing and she is currently working on a birdwatching-related book. She wondered what magazines there are out there that are aimed at UK birdwatchers that she might be able to approach for advertising/features. I'm aware of Birds Illustrated (having bought a subscription for my other half) and the RSPB magazine but that's about it. I know there are many more from looking at some of the threads in this forum. I wondered if anyone would have the time and inclination to tell me the names of the main ones with perhaps a word on whether they're aimed at the amateur birdwatcher or are more technical/biological, or whether they have a slant towards recent sightings, or indepth analysis of species/places, or perhaps fabulous photographs. Any information anyone can give me will be very gratefully received, thank you.
Kirsty

The 2 newstand mags

Birdwatching - for beginners/ intermediates, as I remember. Haven't seen for years.
Birdwatch - for beginners-intermediates-advanced - identification, holidays, optics, news, controversy.

2 subscription mags

Birding World - british rarities, birding abroad, identifiction, taxonomy. for intermediate-advanced.

British Birds - for intermediate-advanced, more in depth articles about bird status, identification, taxonomy, behaviour, rarities.

More scientific

Ibis - journal of the British Ornithologists' union
Bird Study - journal of the British Trust for Ornithology
Scottish Birds - journal of the Scottish Ornithologists' Club.

There are other mags published abroad but widely bought here (Dutch Birding, Alula, Ornithos), and other more local pulbications in UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back