• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100x zoom ...... (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I posted this in the NIkon forum yesterday but got no response so I've retitled it and posted it here ....

Just when I was seriously considering the Nikon P900 I hear rumours that Canon will be beefing up the SX60 with the even more mega zoom SX70 HS*in* September. That it may even have a 100X zoom seems utterly OTT given pundits opining that Nikon's "x83" is at the limit ..... So is a 100x zoom practical, possible or even wanted?

Given the long wait for the Nikon, it might be worth giving it another couple of months before deciding to jump ....

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-sx70-hs/
http://thenewcamera.com/another-100x...nt-from-canon/

I posted this in the NIkon forum yesterday but got no response so I've retitled it and posted it here ....

Just when I was seriously considering the Nikon P900 I hear rumours that Canon will be beefing up the SX60 with the even more mega zoom SX70 HS*in* September. That it may even have a 100X zoom seems utterly OTT given pundits opining that Nikon's "x83" is at the limit ..... So is a 100x zoom practical, possible or even wanted?

Given the long wait for the Nikon, it might be worth giving it another couple of months before deciding to jump ....

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-sx70-hs/
http://thenewcamera.com/another-100x...nt-from-canon/

Hi John,

Personally, I never quote figures such as "100x" or "83x" with superzoom cameras because they are misleading since they do not mean what they mean with other optics. They just refer to the ratio between the minimum and maximum zoom magnification, rather than the magnification of what you would see with the naked eye.

This is a case in point. The referenced patent for the Canon superzoom is for a lens that zooms from 3 mm to 302 mm (actual focal length, not equivalent). That is just over 100x by superzoom standards, but the actual magnification would be less than the Nikon P 900. According to its specs it zooms from 4.3 mm to 357 mm. So even though the proposed Canon gets a higher superzoom "x" number, the Nikon would still yield greater magnification versus what you see with the naked eye.

Hope this helps,
Jim

John, several thoughts:
a 100x zoom existed on a video camera several years ago. However, the X designation for reach is not really that useful, because a camera with fewer Xes can still have more reach if the higher X hides a more wideangle starting-point.

Second, to me, the functionality of the AF and the ability to crop images afterwards are two other items of importance. That is why you probably will not ever see me be the first buyer of a new camera - I want to wait until I get feedback from reviews and users about usability.

Niels

I knew that, but thanks for reminding me, Jim. I'd assumed the camera would start at around 24mm like most do these days and in such a context the "X" figure is at least broadly indicative of a reach worthy of a birding bridge camera.. Thanks too to Neils. I'm sure you're right about your comments on AF & cropping, but if we have two very high magnification then at least we do have more choice!

I'd assumed the camera would start at around 24mm like most do these days and in such a context the "X" figure is at least broadly indicative of a reach worthy of a birding bridge camera..

Probably next thing we'll hear about is somebody boasting they've come out with a 200x superzoom! It'll have a zoom range from 1.5mm to 300mm.;)

Probably next thing we'll hear about is somebody boasting they've come out with a 200x superzoom! It'll have a zoom range from 1.5mm to 300mm.;)

That might even work in real life.
The missing bit is the 'crop factor', which relates to what fraction of the base 35mm size frame the camera sensor covers.
Most 'superzooms' have a crop factor of about 6, so 1.5-300mm lens would provide a 35mm equivalent range of about 10mm-1800mm. That design's breakthrough would that it offers ultra wide angle scenery shots together with the reach of a Nikon P900.
It should be noted that diffraction effects become serious in such designs. Basic physics limits the quality of the images possible with a small sensor/long zoom combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back