• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizing photos for BF (1 Viewer)

Gentoo

Ok, Birdforum got rid of the option to upload photos from URL which was my preferred method os uploading to the gallery. Now I try to size them ( I use photoshop 7) to the dimensions specified in the uplaod guidelines but when I do that, the picture is tiny. I've never been that great at resizing pics. Where am I going wrong?

In PS7 (and Elements) I do the following

Resize the photo to within the 900x900 pixel limit using Image, Image Size.

I then use the File, Save for Web option. I adjust the Quality using option on the right hand size to get the file size (as shown on the bottom left) small enough.

Hope this helps.

I follow the same work flow using Photoshop CS3.

I also do a similar process using The Gimp: reduce image size; save-as jpg adjusting image quality to achieve a file size under the website's limit.

You can upload any size of photo to the Gallery and the software resizes it but the max file size is 200 kb.

The retain best image quality as Robin says try to stay within the 900x900 pixel limit and use 'save as' or 'save for web' adjusting the amount of compression to keep under 200kb.

In photoshop 7 I normally go for 650 (longest side)x ??. Then you can set compression at 7 (of 12) and still have a small enough image. How large is your screen resolution? The part of the screen taken up by the image depends on that as well ;)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back