• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White on White Photography (1 Viewer)

You've two wonderful pictures there MJ.

I'm sure it'll get easier now you've got started and managed to find some of your targets.

Both of the last additions are great snapshots. �� That vivid azure sky is an amazing backdrop, even though I know you wanted white. The contrast is beautiful!

Another day of owl hunting with the same results. A heavily mottled bird on a power pole and a white one too far away for a good photo. I am starting to see a pattern here. The whiter they are, the more timid they are and the more difficult to approach. A photographer friend of mine has told me the same thing. Not sure if this is a coincidence or some kind of behavioral pattern.

Attachments

• Snowy 6cs.jpg
    Snowy 6cs.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Snowy 7cc (1).JPG
    Snowy 7cc (1).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
Another day of owl hunting with the same results. A heavily mottled bird on a power pole and a white one too far away for a good photo. I am starting to see a pattern here. The whiter they are, the more timid they are and the more difficult to approach. A photographer friend of mine has told me the same thing. Not sure if this is a coincidence or some kind of behavioral pattern.

Easy: juveniles are naïve and allow approach, adults are a lot more cynical about humans and don't. Its just experience.... children have to be told "don't talk to strangers".

John

No snow! Alberta is having the warmest December since 1880. All the snow has melted. So now I can't even get a photo with a white background. Temp has been about 20 degrees above normal (+10 as compared to average -10). Waiting for more snow. It is supposed to return to more normal winter weather next week.

Before Christmas, we went through a long warm spell. All the snow melted. Then the temperature dropped to the minus 30s over the holidays. Too damn cold to go out. Today it was sunny and just minus 3 degrees so I tried once again for some Snowy Owl photos. I found a nice white Adult close enough for decent photos except that the sun was behind the bird. Not having good luck. I will try again tomorrow. Hope he stays in the same area so that I can find him again.

Attachments

• Snowy 2cs.jpg
    Snowy 2cs.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 63
Even so MJ, I do like the way the sun is highlighting the side of his face.

Another fine picture that, thanks lad.

A Happy New Year to you and your family.

Ooooh! Nice one MJ.

You're doing brilliantly lad.

You know I went all the way up to the Shetland Islands some years ago with Snowy Owl on my wish list..... he disappeared that year!!! There was one on the Outer Hebrides the year after I went there!

Think I'm not meant to see them, so I'll enjoy your pictures instead!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back