• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

Hi all,
Once again braved the weather for little or nothing early am, is`nt easter associated with early spring migrants ? I think the attachment sums things up nicely ( taken this am near Gresham )

Great picture. I have set it as a background on my computer desk top.
Thanks.
Richard

Happy Easter everyone!

Gorgeous photo Rob! Glad you are feeling better Penny. We braved the blizzard this morning and went out with the local RSPB members group to Sculthorpe Moor. This was our first time at this nature reserve and I have to say I was very impressed by the set up there. Good boardwalks, plenty of feeding stations and a couple of nice hides. At the first feeding station we had a pair of pheasants, some blue tits, chaffinches etc. Then at the first hide we got to we had at least two water rail really close to the hide (best views I've ever had of this elusive species), along with a few brambling including a nice male, other finches (chaffinch & Greenfinch) and coal and Marsh tits (amongst more commoner fair) on the bird table. Plus a few moorhen. A male marsh harrier was quartering in the distance despite the heavy snowfall.

On the way back we stopped off at the other hide, which was a little too small for our group but we still got views of a Great spotted woodpecker, song thrush long tailed tits on a feeder, a blackbird made an aborted attempt to try and use a feeder but couldn't seem to access the feed whilst perched. Also a flock of redwings flew over.

After lunch we headed on to Sparham pools were there were a few pochard, tufted ducks, greylags, gt Crested grebes, cormorants including on e white headed cormorant, at least two chiffchaffs singing, nuthatch calling and a treecreeper and one grey wagtail by the bridge.

Also a mystery bird, on the bridge by the river. it unfortunately flew off before we could get a good look at it and all we saw was it front on but impressions were, of similar size to a grey wagtail, but very speckled with a warm buff tone. I thought it might have been either some sort of pipit or perhaps a redpoll or linnet. unfortunately didn't get a good look at it's beak so not much there to go on..

A few pics:

Attachments

• 2355119594_77d16491f7.jpg
    2355119594_77d16491f7.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 2355099134_ea56998380.jpg
    2355099134_ea56998380.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2355090400_b596a0f2f2.jpg
    2355090400_b596a0f2f2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 76
Lovely pics as usual kittykat. I have come to love my recent trips to Sculthorpe and, like you, are very impressed with the site. I look foward to the new 'scrape' hide being opened and the spring developing there.

Hi all,
Once again braved the weather for little or nothing early am, is`nt easter associated with early spring migrants ? I think the attachment sums things up nicely ( taken this am near Gresham )

Absolutely stunning picture Rob - poor little barn owl!!!:-C

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Glad you are better Penny!
It is snowing hard here at Roydon and the garden feeders are very busy. Lots of Siskins and a few Bramblings along with a Yellowhammer and 4 Reed Buntings joining the usual mass of Chaffinches. My poorly Woodpigeon that I had taken in yesterday, to save it from the hailstorms beating it to death, died overnight (not unexpectedly). Hope the snow clears soon! (even though it looks very pretty)
Sue

Hi Sue

It didn't sound as if the poor bird would survive when you sent me message!

It was very pretty seeing the snow this morning, but not funny being the only person in my street to have to get and go to work at 7.30am!!!!!

My Trip to High Ash Farm

As previously requested when I enquired on here - a run down of my visit.

On Wednesday I spent a few hours at High Ash Farm; Caister St Edmunds with Chris Skinner thanks to the In Laws as a Christmas Present.

In a nutshell he’s turned his farm land over to conservation & allowing nature to take it’s course with a little bit of help through nest boxes, allowing his fields to grow naturally & the provision of food at the bird hides.

During the tour of his land we visited 2 hides & saw 15 different species of birds – It was funny as the Birds came to us once we were in the hides. During the walk & ride around his farm we saw loads of other species & Chris showed us the various nest box locations. I’d saw 3 species that I’d not seen previously which was a highlight of the time there.

Species we saw included Thrushes, Kestrels, various Finches & Tits, stock doves & woodpeckers. One thing present on his land that we didn’t get to see unfortunately was the Little Owls, but we did get to find some Owl pellets. Other animals included rabbits & Deer.

He’s got an amazing flock of Sparrows nesting on the side of his stables – I’ve never seen so many sparrows in one place. If I remember rightly he has recorded 76 different species resident & nesting on his land, with many more visiting or flying over.

The hides have one-way glass & it was amazing how close you could get to the Birds. Chris was quite proud of the prospect of offering you the opportunity to kiss a Rooks backside if you so desired – that’s how close they came to the glass viewing area.

From talking with Chris it seems that he’s got some good links with the RSPB & the local media. I listened to a number of bird recordings he did – The Skylark was fantastic!

High Ash Farm was a different experience to that if you went to a reserve or out walking yourselves; Chris gave a personal touch that drew from his childhood & farming experiences over the years at High Ash Farm and his aim is to give something back to the land that has given him so much over the years.

The website is: http://highashfarm.com - It is well worth a visit whether you’re an expert or novice. As an intro to Bird watching – Highly recommended as they come to you!

This is what I saw:

Kestrel, Mistle Thrush, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Crows, Magpies, Jays, Rook, Jackdaw, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Brambling, Yellowhammer, Pheasant, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Starling, Blackbird, Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Black Headed Gull, Moorhen.

The evening was rounded off with a quick drive to Hickling Raptor roost where I saw 3 more firsts - 6 Cranes, Merlin & A Hen Harrier!!

Now I'm back in Brum! :C

Attachments

• Finch - Yellowhammer 1.jpg
    Finch - Yellowhammer 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the feedback, Des. It sounds as if you had a great day out and full marks to the inlaws for a thoughtful, original present.

Chris Skinner comes over on the radio as a knowledgeable, enthusiastic presenter, so it is good to that he lives up to this image in 'real life'. It's nice to hear good reports about a farmer, as they don't always attract the best comments.

That's a very nice Yellowhammer photo youi've posted. I hope you got many more shots from those posh hides.

Ron

Lovely pics as usual kittykat. I have come to love my recent trips to Sculthorpe and, like you, are very impressed with the site. I look foward to the new 'scrape' hide being opened and the spring developing there.

Thanks. We will definitely be visiting Sculthorpe more often now that we have found it. I agree, the scrape will add a new dimension to the site too. :t:

Went out late afternoon to Abbey Farm, Flitcham and sat in the hide for a while watching canada geese, teal, greylags, egyptian geese, mallards, pheasants, moorhens and coots. There were several redwings, fieldfares and mistlethrushes on the back field. All of a sudden a very pretty familiar dumpy brown bird flopped down from a branch - the Little Owl!!! in fact a few seconds later another one appeared, they looked lovely in the late afternon sun and were quite active, flying down to the grass and back up again into the branches of the usual oak tree. Several jackdaws flying about too and a big flock of starlings feeding in the field. A barn owl hunted in the distance and then came straight towards me and sat on the posts that run across the water! A marsh harrier went along the far back fields and swooped down to a rabbit and then sat near it watching and then took off again!

Possible quail?

I don't know if any of you locals can help me out here.

Whenever I'm a passenger in a car in Norfolk I amuse myself looking for grey partridge in fields. This morning we were going towards Fakenham from Swaffham on the A1065 and were just approaching South Raynham. There is a field on the left just approaching the Wensum Valley Pools site (which is on the right) and I'm about 95% sure I saw a quail in one of the gaps in the crop there. Have they been seen there or am I dreaming? I admit I only saw it for a nano second but it was small round and stripey - just like the pic in the Collins.

Went back and hunted for it but couldn't find it, looks like it just stuck its head up at the right moment!

A pair of grey wags at the bridge near the entrance to Gunton Lane recreation ground, Norwich yesterday along with a small party of redwings and song thrushes. Green and Gt Spotted woodpeckers heard, couple of goldcrests and the usual tits and finches. Nice male kestrel as well over the loughed fields along marriots way. But not a lot else braving the weather.

I came across a Black Redstart at Ridlington yesterday hopping along the road.

Also had a Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher at Witton.

In the garden we had, 20+ Collard Doves, 7 Pigeons, 6 Blackbirds, 5+ Chaffinch, 41+ Brambling, 5+ Greenfinch, 5+ House Sparrow, 2 Starling, 1 Dunnock, 2 Blue Tit, 2 Jackdaw, 1 Robin, 2 Great Tit, 4 Long-tailed tit and 2 Siskin.

Attached are some pics of the Bramblings which I have enjoyed since November.

Also had a Red Kite at Sco Ruston on friday flying fast west.

Gary

Attachments

• DSCN9607.JPG
    DSCN9607.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN9679.JPG
    DSCN9679.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN9722.JPG
    DSCN9722.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN9731.JPG
    DSCN9731.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I don't know if any of you locals can help me out here.

Whenever I'm a passenger in a car in Norfolk I amuse myself looking for grey partridge in fields. This morning we were going towards Fakenham from Swaffham on the A1065 and were just approaching South Raynham. There is a field on the left just approaching the Wensum Valley Pools site (which is on the right) and I'm about 95% sure I saw a quail in one of the gaps in the crop there. Have they been seen there or am I dreaming? I admit I only saw it for a nano second but it was small round and stripey - just like the pic in the Collins.

Went back and hunted for it but couldn't find it, looks like it just stuck its head up at the right moment!
there always seems to be one or two quails reported during the winter each year in norfolk, i know that one was flushed from holkham gap last winter, think more likely to be wintering bird than early returning migrant because they are usually some of the last migrants to arrive

small, round and stripey - have you definitely eliminated andalusian hemipode!

I had a similar experience on Sunday - going back on the chopper past the farm shop just past thornham, gazing into an arable field and saw a largish, brown streaked bird with shortish bill about woodpigeon size (so definitely bigger than Mistle Thrush). It seemed compact and squat, round bodied, standing very still on fairly sturdy legs, through process of elimination can only think Stone Curlew - did a double take but the bus had whizzed past and couldn't jump off as last one of the evening. - not 100% sure of ID so another one that gets away.

looks like a change of weather for next couple of days SE and SW's moving up from africa, could be first flushes of spring with some migrants to boot.

looks like a change of weather for next couple of days SE and SW's moving up from africa, could be first flushes of spring with some migrants to boot.

Glad you said that. Todays wind was bloody freezing! Gets right up my nose...

Found a Nordic Jackdaw this afternoon at Salthouse, 100yds west of the duck pond, just by the road. Fits in nicely with these northernely winds we've had I suppose, although I dont know how common/uncommon they are in the UK. You had one recently in Sheringham, didn't you Pom?

Also had a monster of a fem. Peregrine blast past Little Eye a little while later, and a dead Porpoise on the beach, amongst 1000s of starfish.

1 Barn Owl, c57 Fieldfares, 20+ Redwings, several Bullfinches and a Little Egret at my 'owl' site. LEO's appear to have departed.

Jason

Last edited:
Found a Nordic Jackdaw this afternoon at Salthouse, 100yds west of the duck pond, just by the road. Fits in nicely with these northernely winds we've had I suppose, although I dont know how common/uncommon they are in the UK. You had one recently in Sheringham, didn't you Pom?

Jason

Multiple records from Lincolnshire in particular this winter, also birds in Cambs and singles in Norfolk at Blackborough End Tip and Sheringham (as mentioned)... Probably quite overlooked, a couple of years ago I found one at Snettisham Water Mill.

Cheers,

Connor

Arrived at Titchwell at 8.20am

Beautiful morning but absolutely FREEZING!!!

5 Bramblings on the feeders along with usual blue tits, robins, house sparrows, chaffinches, greenfinches etc. 1 Great spotted woodpecker right at the top of the tree next to feeders. From the Fen hide, 2 mute swans and 2 marsh harriers - I had missed seeing the bittern by 20 mins! A cetti's warbler burst into a short song near the Fen hide. Very high tide this morning - walked out to Thornham Point, lots of starfish washed up and also I found 2 sea urchins, have not seen any of those for a while! Had a red breasted merganser swimming in Thornham channel in the sunshine which was lovely, also a stonechat sitting on the suada bushes. Sat near the brick building at the end of T. Point in the sunshine and had a jam sandwich and cup of tea. Made my way back along the dunes and couldn't believe my eyes a common lizard shot through the marrams!!! Tons of waders and gulls on the beach feeding off razors etc, also quite a few brents about still. Back along the main path, 9 linnets flew over. From Parrinder hide I saw a pied wagtail, lots of shovelar, a spotted redshank and usual avocets etc and back along the path 2 reed bunting, 2 bearded tits and 1 little egret. Walked to Fen hide again and saw 1 gadwall with the 2 mute swans and the bittern had been seen again! Had lunch at the centre and then spent ages feeding robins from my hand in the carpark and photographing them! Went to look for the a Great White Egret that was supposed to have been seen from Thornham Harbour, but found nothing, but did bump into BF Ruralchill!

Went to look for the a Great White Egret that was supposed to have been seen from Thornham Harbour, but found nothing, but did bump into BF Ruralchill!

That must be the third report from Thornham of this GWE in the last few weeks. Although the late autumn record was well documented the reports since have been sketchy. Anyone know anything of the circumstances (eg. observers names, pm me if needed)...

Connor

Hi Connor,
Do I read a touch of cynicism in your post. Today is now the fifth time I have chased after GWE this year (serves me right I hear some of you cry!) and, too, have found the reports rather 'sketchy' (other than the Bintree bird, but that's another story!)

Did have Spotted Redshank at Thornham, as well as Titchwell and my first Sand Martins of the year in the Wensum Valley earlier in the day (yes, I know Connor, not particularly early!)

Take Care All

PS Nice to see you Penny, glad you're out and about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back