• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uganda Various (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
If anyone can identify any of these, I'd be grateful. They are poor shots of fairly dull birds, but yet someone who knows the area might be able to say what they are.

Thanks for looking, anyway.

Attachments

• 091228033 Uganda.jpg
    091228033 Uganda.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 091229472 Uganda.jpg
    091229472 Uganda.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 091229991 Uganda.jpg
    091229991 Uganda.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 100101044 Uganda.jpg
    100101044 Uganda.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 091229313 Uganda.jpg
    091229313 Uganda.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for those who helped with the Uganda raptors.

Are any of these smaller birds identifiable, or should I just can the shots?

I could have a punt at IDing some to family level, but these are a pretty tough set. Don't give up yet. There's a few expert members who aren't on every day who might be able to help.

Graham

Hey Mac - be useful to know whereabouts the diff shots were taken

OK:
1, 2 and 3 were taken at different times (i.e. they are not the same individual bird) in the northern half of Queen Elizabeth National Park, western Uganda (near Mweya).

4 was taken in Ishasha in the southern half of Queen Elizabeth National Park, western Uganda.

I think 5 is just a Sand Martin with a low neckband (Mweya).

There were two more pictures taken at Bwindi in western Uganda which I attach to this post.

And that really is the lot from Uganda.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 091231289 Uganda.jpg
    091231289 Uganda.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 091231291 Uganda.jpg
    091231291 Uganda.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 107
For a Punt

I think 1 - is a Little Greenbul, 3 - a phylloscopus, probably Willow Warbler (when was it taken?), 4 - a Hunters/Chubb's Cisticola and 5 - a Banded Martin

1. Little Greenbul: Little greenbul shot nearby a little earlier. I thought this was a different bird, but I guess not.

3. Taken on 28 December at Mweya near Lake Edward, so a Willow Warbler would fit.

4. This was taken at Ishasha in the south of Queen Elizabeth National Park, and so Chubb's Cisticola would fit the distribution map in Stevenson and Fanshawe (Birds of East Africa). However long I looked at the books, I would never have had the confidence to identify this.

5. I don't know how you can tell the difference between a Banded Martin and a Sand Martin from this picture with the wings closed. There were Sand Martins in the area, but quite possibly other species as well.

Thanks a lot.

Any comments on the other two pictures I posted in the middle of the thread? They look easier to do.

You could be right about the Martin, it's difficult from this tiny image. I was going on jizz, the wings look broader than longer and the tail rather square ended, but I couldn't be sure.
The last two appear to be Grey-headed Sparrows.

You could be right about the Martin, it's difficult from this tiny image. I was going on jizz, the wings look broader than longer and the tail rather square ended, but I couldn't be sure.
Thanks for that.
The last two appear to be Grey-headed Sparrows.
Ha, ha! I guess they are. The grey-headed sparrow seemed to be the most common bird in Uganda. For some reason, I thought the colouring was different in these two, but that seems to have been wishful thinking.

Thanks very much for looking at all these.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back