• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cassin's Finch? House Finch? (1 Viewer)

Ryan

Hello all! Ive been out of the picture for some time as my wife and I just moved to Monterey California from Japan. It's good to be back. Anyway the first thing I did at the new house is set up three feeders (lol our furniture isnt even here but Ive got feeders up the second day). So this shot was taken throuhg my front window and isnt the best photo but an ID would be great from someone a little more experienced than I. Thanks.

Attachments

• Finch 17JUL04.jpg
    Finch 17JUL04.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 184
Ryan said:
Hello all! Ive been out of the picture for some time as my wife and I just moved to Monterey California from Japan. It's good to be back. Anyway the first thing I did at the new house is set up three feeders (lol our furniture isnt even here but Ive got feeders up the second day). So this shot was taken throuhg my front window and isnt the best photo but an ID would be great from someone a little more experienced than I. Thanks.

The Cassin's finch is a bird of the high mountains. The "other" finch you are likely to encounter where you live is the Purple finch. But as the others have indicated, your photo shows a House finch.

If you visit the Sierra and encounter Cassin's finches, one thing to look for in the male birds is a very distinctive red 'cap' on top of the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back