• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New - Minox BL 8x33 HD (1 Viewer)

Chris 37

Hi everyone,

There are new "Minox BL HDs" on Minox´s website.

Anyone any experience yet?

I´m interested especially in the new Minox BL 8x33 HD.

Thanks!

The 8x44's FOV is almost as wide as the 8x33 - 7.8*:

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=8663&L=1

Also a better fit for my hands. Binomania is supposed to do a review of the new bins as soon as Pier can find some birds (that's what it says on the Website):

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=1474

Even though they probably regret it since it's going down to 21* F tonight, the robins have been back for a week here, blackbirds for two weeks, goldfinches are eating seeds at my backyard feeder, and I saw the red-winged blackbird in my avatar perched in my backyard last week.

Most importantly, the big, red shouldered, gargantuan female hawk I had been chasing away from the squirrels (and a Pileated woodpecker) finally left to lay her eggs (I've been watching out for the male). The kestrels have also stopped chasing the mourning doves in my backyard.

Apparently, the birds have figured out that spring is just around the corner, but you'd never know it from the below average temps in my area. Right now at 5 p.m., it's 30* F with the windchill, and that's no leftover April Fool's yoke!

<B>

Last edited:
Brock, You moved from Pier, Binomania, finding birds to the birds around where you live. I looked at accuweather, and I think that Pier had slightly above freezing temps at night. During the day, he is in the 50's (F). Warmer than you and me, even though he is in the foot hills of the Alps, in Cugliate-Fabiasco in Valganna Province, Italy, as he explains on his website. He'll possibly have more activity by warmth, but even you and I do see the birds moving about!

Oh, he posted a note on his review!
Rob.

Hi Brock, incredible:)
I ll try to translate my preview by "google translate " in english language
Google has translate my sentence " Binomania è in attesa di ricevere qualche esemplare" in this way "Binomania is waiting for a few birds."
But the exact translation is this: "Binomania is waiting to receive a specimen of these binoculars":)
Google has translate "esemplare" like "birds"
We use the word "esemplare" as a "specimen".. so...
I will wait a specimen of Minox BL.
I am so sorry for this
At this point I dare not imagine how Google translated my reviews :-(
In this period I'm having fun with the birds of prey. In the coming days I publish some movie (Golden Eagle, Red Kite paired with a black kite) etc.,etc.,
Best Regards!
Pier

Last month, at long last, made I've made a decison about my long delayed purchase of a 8x30/32/33 bins. (Did Frank D's jaw hit the floor just then?) The new Zeiss Conquest HDs were just that little bit better than the opposition. However at more than twice the price I originally meant to pay I couldn't actually afford them until May or June. The old Minox 8x33 model were ergonomically far better, but not quite as good optically. Now the new Minox HDs are arriving I've retreated to dither mode (a default setting I fear). So any comparative reports regarding the performance of these two bins would be warmly received. Who knows I might even get the damn things!

Since you're in the UK have you tried the Opticron Verano HD 8x32? Seems like a contender given what you described as it has the nice open bridge ergonomics of the Minox BL with terrific optics, and probably costs less than the Conquest HD over there.

John,

it´s funny, as for me the situation is exactly the same.

I have tried quite a few Conquest HDs 8x32 under different conditions and I love them!!!!! Optics and ergos seem just perfect for me!
I compared them to the Victory FL and could see not much difference, really, except in very difficult light situations, against the sun. There the Victory FL seems to be a bit better. (slightly though)

But the ergonomics of the Conquest HD I like even better and the focus knob is (for me!) in a better position, and so very smooth.

BUT - if there is something that is (almost!) as good for 300€ less, well...!?
I would love to try these new Minox BL HDs! And then - finally - buy.
I´m in "Stand-by"-mode.

Chris

I'm hoping that the new Minox have a little more 'punch' than the Veranos - nice bins but the Zeiss were noticably better optically. However, open bridge bins mean I can use them easily one handed - useful when I've a camera to hand. As this isn't absolutely critical for me, I was seduced by the better optics of the Zeiss. However, for my wife, who will also use them at times, it's a deal breaker. She's a petite lady with a touch of arthritis in her hands so the slim barrels means she can get a good grip,

Hi Brock, incredible:)
I ll try to translate my preview by "google translate " in english language
Google has translate my sentence " Binomania è in attesa di ricevere qualche esemplare" in this way "Binomania is waiting for a few birds."
But the exact translation is this: "Binomania is waiting to receive a specimen of these binoculars":)
Google has translate "esemplare" like "birds"
We use the word "esemplare" as a "specimen".. so...
I will wait a specimen of Minox BL.
I am so sorry for this
At this point I dare not imagine how Google translated my reviews :-(
In this period I'm having fun with the birds of prey. In the coming days I publish some movie (Golden Eagle, Red Kite paired with a black kite) etc.,etc.,
Best Regards!
Pier

Pier,

And here we were thinking you were waiting for migrating birds to come back home! "Googlish" strikes again! ;)

I just read your review of the 8x33 Minox HG MIG, which I liked. I see your wife is standing in for Annalisa, who, from the last photos you posted of her, is apparently on maternity leave. Hope mother and baby are doing well.

Your wife is "bellisimo"! She's Annalisa's sister, correct? They look alike. Your daughter is cute, too. Could she see the entire FOV with her glasses on?

The ER is listed as 16.5mm, but typically manufacturers recess the top lens about 3mm below the top of the EP housing to keep your eyeglasses from scratching the EPs, and twist-up eyecups usually sit on top of the EP housing and add 1 or 2 mm extra distance.

So with a listed 16.5mm ER, you could end up with 12.5-11.5mm useable ER for eyeglass wearers, depending on how the company measures the ER, which would not be enough for most eyeglass wearers to see the full field. Most manufacturers measure ER from the top of the EP to the focal point of the image and do not take into consideration the lens recession or eyecup depth above the EP housing. Others, like Nikon, give more useful numbers for eyeglass wearers.

I noticed how "mottled" the rubber looks on the Minox (discoloring in spots). Some rubber armoring scuffs easily like the NIkon HGL. The original Nikon HG (Venturer LX in the states) had harder armor that withstood handling better than the softer armoring of the HGL/Premier series.

How useful are those shallow thumb indents? They seem so shallow that they wouldn't provide much thumb support.

Here's the Binomania 8x33 HG MIG review in case some haven't read it (if it reverts to Italian, pull down the menu bar marked "Translate" to English and it will translate into Broken English :), no, it's actually not too bad most of the time). Google has trouble with idioms (expressions that can't be translated literally from one language to the other).

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=1654http://

Brock

I have tried quite a few Conquest HDs 8x32 under different conditions and I love them!!!!! Optics and ergos seem just perfect for me!
I compared them to the Victory FL and could see not much difference, really, except in very difficult light situations, against the sun. There the Victory FL seems to be a bit better. (slightly though)

But the ergonomics of the Conquest HD I like even better and the focus knob is (for me!) in a better position, and so very smooth.

I am the same way -- I actually preferred the Conquest HD 8x32 to the Victory FL 8x32 because of the ergonomics. The FL's are a bit too short and stocky, and I thought the Conquest's eyecups were far superior (tapered with soft rubber). The Conquest's fit me like a glove, and any minor optical differences are less important to me (plus all that extra money that would be in my pocket!).

Pier,

And here we were thinking you were waiting for migrating birds to come back home! "Googlish" strikes again! ;)

Brock

Dear Brock
I write to you in my bad English.
My wife was pregnant. a month ago my second daughter was born, her name is Ester
* But you're a seer, also Annalisa has been pregnant for a few weeks. :) She is in the first month of pregnancy.
My daughter Ersilia is only 5 years old. She tells me that with the Minox see well, but when I passed the Swarovision with 20mm ER, told me to get a better vision. :) I tried with my sun glasses and with the Minox I can not see the whole field of view.. You are right about the construction of the eyepiece and the eyecup. The rubber of the binoculars is not ruined. It was just dirty. I have supported many times on the sand of the lake, during the photo-session..Obviously the aluminum knobs are a bit 'at risk if you rely on the rocks
The shallow thumb indents might not even be there..for me:)However, the binoculars are well balanced. Maybe I would have preferred a better knurled focus knob . However, it is a good substitute for binoculars TOP OF RANGE.
ah.... I bought a specimen of Nikon 8x32 SE. I can not live without a Porro Prism, at home:)I want to use it to watch the birds of prey. Binocularswith roof prism, in my opinion, suffer a bit 'too much stray light ...I will let you know. I would like to make a comparison with some 8x32: Minox HG,, Kowa Genesis and Zeiss FL 8x32.
Have a nice week end.
Piergiovanni

Last edited:
Dear Brock
I write to you in my bad English.
My wife was pregnant. a month ago my second daughter was born, her name is Ester
* But you're a seer, also Annalisa has been pregnant for a few weeks. :) She is in the first month of pregnancy.
My daughter Ersilia is only 5 years old. She tells me that with the Minox see well, but when I passed the Swarovision with 20mm ER, told me to get a better vision. :) I tried with my sun glasses and with the Minox I can not see the whole field of view.. You are right about the construction of the eyepiece and the eyecup. The rubber of the binoculars is not ruined. It was just dirty. I have supported many times on the sand of the lake, during the photo-session..Obviously the aluminum knobs are a bit 'at risk if you rely on the rocks
The shallow thumb indents might not even be there..for me:)However, the binoculars are well balanced. Maybe I would have preferred a better knurled focus knob . However, it is a good substitute for binoculars TOP OF RANGE.
ah.... I bought a specimen of Nikon 8x32 SE. I can not live without a Porro Prism, at home:)I want to use it to watch the birds of prey. Binocularswith roof prism, in my opinion, suffer a bit 'too much stray light ...I will let you know. I would like to make a comparison with some 8x32: Minox HG,, Kowa Genesis and Zeiss FL 8x32.
Have a nice week end.
Piergiovanni

Pier,

Congratulations! on your second child. If Annalisa is only "a few weeks pregnant," then this photo must have been of your wife:

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=208

The Bushnell 10x25 looks like a space ship orbiting a planet! ;)

I thought it was Annalisa because she also wears blouses below her 3/4 length sweaters (see pic below). Either that's the latest Italian fashion trend or the two sisters share outfits.

You are right about me being a seer: I see "rolling ball," pincushion, chromatic aberration, color bias, edge distortion, darkening at the edge, flaring, ghosting, etc... yes, you might say I'm a binomaniac! ;)

The other thing about the HG's aluminum knob is that it's shiny and stands out when the sun glints off the surface. Hawks aren't afraid of much, not me certainly even though I yell at them and throw sticks in vain at the tree 50 ft. below them, but they are scared of bright shiny objects. I have pie plates hanging in my backyard. Yesterday, I added weights to them to keep them from twisting in the wind and getting wrapped around the limb they're hanging from, because it was so windy.

The big female hawk ("Big Red") that was menacing the neighborhood squirrels and birds (including trying to attack our friendly, neighborhood Plieated woodpecker, which I managed to thwart!) for nearly two months, finally left, though I don't think it had to do with the pie plates, she's probably laying her eggs. I saw the male today across the street near the edge of the woods and chased him out of the nearby woods. I saw the two of them together one day about a month ago on a limb (the female is significantly larger); she was probably filling him in on where to get them for supper when she was on the nest.

This winter I didn't need the SE to watch birds of prey, I saw "Big Red" only about 10 ft away on the ground with a squirrel in its talons. I did my best owl impression and threw sticks at it, and it released the squirrel, which ran up a nearby tree. The hawk was pretty stunned that I was on her so quickly, but hawks are federally protected so I couldn't kill her even though she was killing the squirrels and birds in my neighborhood, so I let her go.

We also had some kestrels going after mourning doves in our backyard. Unlike "Big Red" who is too huge to fly sideways through the trees, the kestrels are amazingly agile flyers. It was like watching two jet fighters doing maneuvers. I managed to distract the kestrel long enough with my owl screech for the dove to get away, although she was holding her own even before I intervened. The dove was more agile than you'd think from its fat, squat appearance on the ground and it's sluggish walk.

It was a really bad winter for hawk attacks. The worst in all the years I've lived here, probably due to the combination of a long winter and increased pressure from housing development everywhere. Within the next two years, there will be 55,000 more housing units (houses and apartments) built in the area I live, most within a 5-mile radius. That's putting tremendous pressure on the wildlife in the area, because there is absolutely NO provision in the township's master plan about making green space for wildlife or in relocating them. Just clear-cut woodland, lay asphalt and concrete and put up more and more stores, restaurants, student housing, and office buildings.

In my neighborhood, we lost 70 out of the 73 acres of woodland. Within 10 years, the Centre Region (borough of State College and surrounding townships) will be the third largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in Pennsylvania. An MSA is "a geographical region with a relatively high population density at its core and close economic ties throughout the area," replacing Harrisburg as the 3rd largest, which is the capital of the state!

The strange thing is that we are located in a rural area several hours from any major city such as Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Harrisburg. We are surrounded by farmland, but many of those farms are being developed. I moved here to go to school (Penn State) and stayed to get away from the city (I grew up just outside of NYC), but now the city is following me here!

The EDG would probably work for your daughter too. Only two bins in the top tier, SV ELs and EDGs, have enough ER for me to use with sunglasses. I might squeak by with the HTs, depending on the depth of the lens recession and extension of the eyecups above the EP housing, which could lower the 18mm listed ER to 15-13mm usable ER if Zeiss is measuring from the top of the lens to the focal point.

I look forward to your comparison of the roofs with the Nikon 8x32 SE. Of course, Dennis and I already know the SE will blow away all the roofs. ;) The SV EL will be its toughest competition.

I will have a nice weekend (chasing away the male hawk). You too!

Brock

Attachments

• annalisa.jpg
    annalisa.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:
Pier,

I thought it was Annalisa because she also wears blouses below her 3/4 length sweaters (see pic below). Either that's the latest Italian fashion trend or the two sisters share outfits.

Hello. In fact, even in this case you're right! My wife and her sister dress to the current Italian fashion (oh my God :) )
Thank you for sharing your adventures with the Hawks. Here, kestrels are little fearful near the Lake of Lugano. (Swiss) Where you can see, even, at 20 feet away.
Instead in my valley birds of prey are wary. I have never seen a bird of prey closer than 30-40 meters. Only buzzards flying ,over my garden, in search of food. I live in a small country and my neighbors still have the chicken coops and some chicks.
Currently I am really enjoying it. A pair of golden eagles has decided to make a nest at 700 meters high and at 1 km of a main road!
I am following them. In addition, a curious thing is happening: A red kite with a black kite have also done the nest. I can only get close to 800 yards away and shoot with the ATX 95 and a Canon S110. However, it is a pleasure to watch them fly in my valley. Two days ago, there was also a small battle in the sky between the red kite and golden eagle. But this specimen of eagles is quite good-natured as if she abandons the fight even with the ravens 
It 's the first time I see a hybrid couple of Kite . I hope they are able to mate. Obviously, their offspring will be sterile.
Here's "my Valley"

Have a nice week end!
Pier

Attachments

• Valganna.jpg
    Valganna.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 462
I´m always wondering if reflections off those shiny metal focussing knobs and diopter rings as on the Minox HG and new Minox BL
could scare some wildlife/birds and make it more difficult to come closer to animals.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

Chris

Last edited:
Well, Minox has obviously some problems with the new BL series.
Still not in the shops.

Now they say it´ll be end of August.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back