• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carolinae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Of couse Björn is correct as mentioned in the key that there is no dedication in OD of Tanysiptera carolinae.

Just a guess if this enty on geni is correct. Maybe for Schlegels wife Albertine Catharina Petronella Pfeiffer (1829-1894)?

P.S. If it was posted here by Björn I wasn't able to find it.

It wasn´t discussed here, I only supplied James with the OD ....

However; I don´t follow ... how would Catharina turn into carolinae?

I would think a relation/connection to the German explorer Baron/Freiherr Carl Benjamin Hermann von Rosenberg (1817-1888) is a more likely candidate. But thats just a guess, worth nothing more than that.

---

Last edited:
I would think a relation/connection to the German explorer Baron/Freiherr Carl Benjamin Hermann von Rosenberg (1817-1888) is a more likely candidate. But thats just a guess, worth nothing more than that.
His wife.
Wijnmalen TCL. 1889. C. B. H. Baron von Rosenberg: eine biographische Skizze. s.n., Haag. [here]
p.13-14:
Nach seiner Rückkehr aus Indien liess R. sich erst in Darm stadt nieder, und seit 1875 lebte er ununterbrochen im Haag. Eine treue und sorgliche Gattin, Freiin Caroline Elisabeth Louise von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein aus Darmstadt – mit welcher er sich vor seiner Abreise aus Europa (23. April 1867) vermählt hatte – erhöhte sein Lebensglück und blieb Zeuge der wissenschaftlichen Arbeit welcher er sich ohne Unterlass widmete, bis er, nach dreiwöchentlichem Krankenlager, am Abend des 15. November d. J. von ihrer Seite gerissen wurde. Seinem Wunsche zufolge wurden seine irdischen Ueberreste in der Familiengruft zu Darmstadt beigesetzt.

Last edited:
Well found Laurent!

Ok, it was apparently worth a little bit more. ;) Without a dedication I would say Freiin (an unmarried daughter of a Freiherr) Miss von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein (from Darmstadt) is a highly likely candidate (whomever she was). But still; whatever that´s worth.

Björn

PS. Wijnmalen TCL. 1889, is easier to read here.
--

Last edited:
Well, based on the OD, Rosenberg (not Schlegel) must be the person who coined the name.
They married before he left Europe; she waited 8 years for his return, then stayed on his side until his death.

(Anyway, I just followed your suggestion. ;))

Last edited:
Of course this is more plausible. I even do not understand how I came from Catharina to carolinae. It must have been the heat.:storm:

But I think it was worth to open this thread. Well done to both of you :clap:

Mrs. Brandt

• "Vireo huttoni carolinae" BRANDT 1938

I assume it´s aimed for this; "Carrie McGregor (18871964)", here, ...whom married "Herbert Wm. Brandt (1884–1955)", 27th of November 1913.

It ought to be her, his wife, "Carrie McGregor Brandt", doesn´t it?

Sorry do we know the life dates of Caroline Elisabeth Louise von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein Baronin von Rosenberg? Or here as Karoline Elisabeth Louise von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein.

Sorry do we know the life dates of Caroline Elisabeth Louise von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein Baronin von Rosenberg? Or here as Karoline Elisabeth Louise von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein.
Here as Caroline Elisabethe Louise, born 19 Nov 1843.
There must be a marriage record somewhere in the genealogy websites.

Caroline Elisabethe Louise Von Breidenbach Zu Breidenstein
Birth Date: 19. Nov 1843 (19 Nov 1843)
Marriage Date: 23. Apr 1867 (23 Apr 1867)
Spouse:
Carl Benjamin Hermann Von Rosenberg
Death Date: 14 Mrz 1923 (14 Mar 1923)
Death Place: Darmstadt, Hessen (Hesse), Deutschland (Germany)

Attachments

• 901_408_darmstadt_1923_00276.jpg
    901_408_darmstadt_1923_00276.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 4
Yes but the Birth & Marriage certificates (attached) have Carolina Elisabetha Louise & Caroline Elisabethe Louise respectively - take your pick :)

Would also like to clarify Carolinas mother if anyone can read this (think it says Clara). Seems the siblings had several different mothers.

P

Attachments

• record-image_ (10).jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
  • record-image_ (11).jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yes but the Birth & Marriage certificates (attached) have Carolina Elisabetha Louise & Caroline Elisabethe Louise respectively - take your pick :)

Would also like to clarify Carolinas mother if anyone can read this (think it says Clara). Seems the siblings had several different mothers.
I'd read it Caroline Elisabethe on both scans.

The birth record is not easy, but from what I can read, she was indeed born on 19 Nov 1843 (Im Jahr Christi Achtzehnhundert dreiundvierzig den neunzehnten November), at 9:30 a.m. (früh um halbzehn Uhr). She was declared born by Herrn Carl Friedrich Ludwig Christian, Freiherrn von Breidenbach zu Breidenstein, from seiner zweiten Gemahlin, Frau Clara, geborene Eberhard (i.e., the mother -- Clara, née Eberhard -- was the father's second wife). She was the fifth child and third daughter of this marriage (das fünfte Kind [...], ein Tochter, die dritte Tochter dieser Ehe), and was baptized on 29 Dec, when she received the name Caroline Elisabethe Louise (und den neunundzwanzigsten December getauft, wo sie den Namen Caroline Elisabethe Louise erhielt).

In the marriage record, "Christian" is omitted from the father's name; the mother's name is the same; her name and birth date are the same too.

Last edited:
Mrs. Brandt

• "Vireo huttoni carolinae" BRANDT 1938

I assume it´s aimed for this; "Carrie McGregor (18871964)", here, ...whom married "Herbert Wm. Brandt (1884–1955)", 27th of November 1913.

It ought to be her, his wife, "Carrie McGregor Brandt", doesn´t it?
Just a guess the Key may or may not enhanced with her life dates?

Well the OD is unequivocal (its for Carrie) so not sure why this is a guess :)

Major problem with this factually is that Carrie was her given name (and I know that Laurent will tell us that the formal latinification is still Caroline) but still...

Carrie McGregor
Birth15 Apr 1887 Elgin, Leeds Greville, Ontario, Canada
Residence1901 Elgin, Leeds Greville, Ontario, Canada
Marriage27 Nov 1913 Elgin, Leeds Greville, Ontario, Canada
Death11 Jul 1964 Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
FatherJohn Mcgregor (Born 1844)
MotherMargaret Furguson (Born 1861)
SpouseHerbert William Brandt (Born 1884)

Brandt's mother was however
Caroline Semlow 1860–1912

BIRTH 17 OCTOBER 1860 • Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
DEATH 19 NOVEMBER 1912 • Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA

This makes more sense to me but the OD is what it is...

Attachments

• ONMS932_251-1048.jpg
    ONMS932_251-1048.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Carrie.JPG
    Carrie.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
A bird described in 1938 dedicated to someone died 1912 makes more sense to you?

Regarding the other The Eponym Dictionary of Birds has his own theory:
Numfor Paradise Kingfisher Tanysiptera carolinae Schlegel, 1871
The island of Numfor, off the coast of New Guinea, was once considered to be part of the Caroline Islands archipelago which Schlegel may have had in mind when he named this bird. However, he originally capitalised Carolinae and in his day this usually indicated an eponym. He made no further indication, so it remains a mystery.

Is that really true that Numfor was part of Caroline Islands archipelago. At what time?

Last edited:
This carolinae seems to be lacking in the Key:

Ducula badia carolinae Ripley 1953
OD : no.1-50 (1950-1961) - Postilla - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Dedication:
It gives me very great pleasure to name a new subspecies of this magnificent pigeon in honor of Mrs. William Robertson Coe.
= Caroline Graham Coe, née Slaughter, 1877-1960.

Type from Assam, thus presumably a syn. of Ducula badia griseicapilla Walden 1875.

Last edited:
= Caroline Graham Coe, née Slaughter, 1877-1960.

Mmh... I had a bit more time to check things now and, as I understand the data on FamilySearch, this is not fully correct.

She was apparently born "Caroline Ligon Graham" (to Alexander H Graham and Cornelia T Ligon); "Slaughter" was her first husband's surname -- while married to him, she called herself "Caroline Graham Slaughter"; they then divorced, and she remarried (using her married woman's name), after which she used "Caroline Graham Coe".
Thus "Caroline Ligon Coe, née Graham" would be more correct -- although I'm not sure she still used "Ligon" at all in this part of her life.
On her grave, she is "Caroline Graham wife of William Robertson Coe".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back