• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding a serial number (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I want to get my old Leicas realigned as one side is now way off but the serial number that used to be on one eye piece, is now worn away, can it be found anywhere else?

Whenever I write to Leica for a quote, they ask for this number which I can't provide, just to add that they are definitely not faked or stolen!

I just want to refurb them to have as a good emergency back up to my Swaros.

Can anyone else realign them for me?

Thanks, Andy

Last edited:
Andy,
If you can't get a quote, I would think that there are very good Russian optics technicians who could do a good job if they wanted.
You could probably get a good idea of the age from the actual model.
Do you have an old photo with the serial number on it?

I think that there are optical factories still in St. Petersburg.

East Coast Optical also in the U.K.

Andy,
If you can't get a quote, I would think that there are very good Russian optics technicians who could do a good job if they wanted.
You could probably get a good idea of the age from the actual model.
Do you have an old photo with the serial number on it?

I think that there are optical factories still in St. Petersburg.

East Coast Optical also in the U.K.

We've tried that mate, they just want to send them to Germany!?

I've attached a pic, you can see remnants of the writing under the eye cups where the serial number used to be

Cheers, A

Attachments

• rsz_20170705_183812.jpg
    rsz_20170705_183812.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
We've tried that mate, they just want to send them to Germany!?

I've attached a pic, you can see remnants of the writing under the eye cups where the serial number used to be

Cheers, A

Andy

If you have the original receipt from where you purchased the bins the serial might be on there, or it might be on tags or other bits that came in the box and it might even be on the outside of the box.

Lee

I don't know if this will help you but I registered all 4 of my Leitz and Leica binoculars with Leica over the years and they still have a record of all of them. I found that out when I inquired about getting new eye cups for my old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA, Armoured.

In the unlikely event that you still have the box it came in the Fabr. No. (Same as the S.N.) will be on it.

Bob

PS: The SN will be on the bottom of the right eyepiece. I have a 7x42 Trinovid BN and it looks like it can indeed wear off from heavy use.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses folks, they're 25 years old so I don't have the box, I just wondered, apart from the eye-piece where the number was, if it's maybe stamped somewhere else a bit less obvious?

They were second hand when I bought them and I have no idea where I got them from!

A

Hi Andy, the other option is to take them to an optics event - I believe that Leica will collect binoculars at BirdFair and may take the bins away to be refurbished, I understand this was something offered last year. I've checked on my old 8x32 BA's and I can't see the serial number anywhere but on the back of the eyecup.
I hope this helps, the only other option would be a certified independent binocular technician but I would be wary should this void any 30 year warranty.

Hi Andy, the other option is to take them to an optics event - I believe that Leica will collect binoculars at BirdFair and may take the bins away to be refurbished, I understand this was something offered last year. I've checked on my old 8x32 BA's and I can't see the serial number anywhere but on the back of the eyecup.
I hope this helps, the only other option would be a certified independent binocular technician but I would be wary should this void any 30 year warranty.

Thanks Daniel,
I've done this before, most big brands now offer to do it and don't even charge postage but sadly I won't be in the UK during Birdfair, it will be the third in a row I've missed.

Cheers, A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back