• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox model designation (1 Viewer)

Lost Arra

Is there a binocular cheat sheet somewhere that differentiates all of the different letters Minox uses in their model descriptions?

When shopping binos, especially used models, I have purposely avoided Minox because of the hodge podge of model designations. Is there a pattern that I am not seeing?

Thanks

Is there a binocular cheat sheet somewhere that differentiates all of the different letters Minox uses in their model descriptions?

When shopping binos, especially used models, I have purposely avoided Minox because of the hodge podge of model designations. Is there a pattern that I am not seeing?

Thanks

It is interesting that you "purposely avoided Minox because of the hodge podge of model designation" . Do some search. There are some info regarding Minox's abbr.

If memory serve me right, "B" = roof, "L" = light "V" = value, "HG" = high grade.

They once assisted chimney sweeps on the roofs of houses?

;)

I don't think the B is roof as their BD BP model was a porro.

Don't mean to be a killjoy, but looked it up Binastro. Apparently "Dachs" is a badger (dog used for badger hunting). Me O level German didn't stretch to that.

B traditionally meant long eye relief on German binoculars.

Agree the Minox naming does look confusing.

There is a thread here that explains it if my memory serves me right, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

I have noticed that the designation BR is never used 1st. It always follows the 1st two letters or it is given after the size of the binocular.

The 1st 2 letters seem to designate the series of the binoculars. You can see that in the way Camera Land has them listed on it's website. It starts out with the BD BR series which I believe has been discontinued. For instance, I have a BD 10x32 BR Aspheric binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
The "B" stands for "Binokular", while an "M" marks "Monokulars".
"D" is correctly mentioned above as short for Dach, which is the German word for "roof".
I am not so shure about the other letters, but I am confident, that L is for "Leicht" (lightweight).
Greetings from germany, excuse my English.

Peter

Thanks

Here is a link to the current tech sheets for Minox Sports Optics products:

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=1140&L=1

Hopefully you can work out what the designations mean by comparing the different products.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back