• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight jacket for cloud forest birding - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good lightweight rainproof jacket for use in cool to warm weather? I'm spending three weeks in Costa Rica in February, with visits to several mid-elevation cloud forest sites, and I'm looking for something compact enough to fit in a rucksack but weatherproof enough to stop me getting drenched when the clouds roll in.

Thanks

jacket

I'd suggest that you go to any hiking or climbing store and pick up a goretex (or some equivalent) jacket. Nothing too expensive or sophisticated is necessary - just a shell. In addition to a jacket, you should think about getting a cheap compact umbrella. In rainforest deluges these can keep the rain off of you and, more importantly, your bin eyepieces. They allow you to keep on birding when a jacket alone would close down business.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back