• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library... (1 Viewer)

It´s said (here) to be in their list of references, as: Pedro Regaldo Ruiz. 1977. Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae, nueva subespecie. Revista Forestal 3: 34-37.
It's not in the references, nor cited at all in the paper.
(Actual list of cited literature [here]. [You may have to scroll down.] The list in the Yahoo Group post starts with a "cf.", it just seems to be a list of publications that the author of the post considered related in one way or another to the García-Trejo et al. work.)

It's not in the references, nor cited at all in the paper.
(Actual list of cited literature [here]. [You may have to scroll down.] The list in the Yahoo Group post starts with a "cf.", it just seems to be a list of publications that the author of the post considered related in one way or another to the García-Trejo et al. work.)
True, my error. Sorry!

I then assume it´s due to the Zoonomen List, here, or from this List of references. Also, as earlier discussed, mentioned by Buden and Olsen 1989 (here, on page 32).

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
Maybe this paper by T. P. Harmash, 2013, can add someting on pereversievi:
ОРНИТОЛОГИЧЕСКИЕ ОПИСАНИЯ И ИССЛЕДОВАНИЯ ФАУНЫ ПОЛТАВЩИНЫ В ХVI–ПЕРВОЙ ТРЕТИ ХХ СТОЛЕТИЯ /ORNITHOLOGICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND RESEARCHES OF THE FAUNA OF POLTAVA REGION IN THE SIXTEENTH CENTURY – THE FIRST THIRD OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (here)

OD [Гавриленко Н.И. Предварительные сведения о птицах Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, 1917. С. 21–95. ] still unseen!

ОРНИТОЛОГИЧЕСКИЕ ОПИСАНИЯ И ИССЛЕДОВАНИЯ ФАУНЫ ПОЛТАВЩИНЫ В ХVI–ПЕРВОЙ ТРЕТИ ХХ СТОЛЕТИЯ /ORNITHOLOGICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND RESEARCHES OF THE FAUNA OF POLTAVA REGION IN THE SIXTEENTH CENTURY – THE FIRST THIRD OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (here)
I missed the English Summary in my last post:
ORNITHOLOGICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND RESEARCHES OF THE FAUNA OF POLTAVA REGION IN THE SIXTEENTH CENTURY – THE FIRST THIRD OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY
T.P. Harmash
The article provides information about ornithological descriptions and studies of the fauna of Poltava region in the sixteenth century – the first third of the twentieth century; of researchers, anyway touched the world of birds of the region. Considered the nature protection activity of famous ornithologist of the twentieth century N. Gavrilenko. In this article we have the author’s translation of quotations from literature published in the Ukrainian language.

Key words: bird fauna, scientific researches, conservation.

Сведения об авторе: Гармаш Татьяна Петровна – доцент кафедры экологии Полтавского национального технического университета им. Ю. Кондратюка (Полтава, Украина), канд. с.-х. наук

Unfortunately not; as far as Gavrilenko 1917 is concerned it's just a general overview. I fed the relevant paragraph into Google Translate and this is what it gave me:

"The primary task of ornithological research - inventory of the avifauna (birds establish the species composition). In 1917 came the list birds Poltava province, prepared by NI Gavrilenko (Gavrilenko, 1917). The scientist noted that the lack of time (joining the ranks of the troops and, consequently, a possible break in the long ornithological classes) does not allow him to collect this amount of factual material, which is desirable for a comprehensive study of birds within the province. NI Gavrilenko decided to organize and publish materials, because he believed that they were even in the rough of interest to ornithologists and zoogeographers. It commented on the list of the province of birds, which gives general information (drawings, dwelling, behavior and way of life, body, color, feathers, etc.) about 288 birds in the region. In the preface to issue NI Gavrilenko found it necessary to point out that the study of the local avifauna is not over, but "... even the publication of these is not completed izsledovany province, which in the words of MA Marmot "remains the least studied in relation to the ornithological" in a timely manner and will make their share in the total Skarbnitsya "(Gavrilenko, 1917, p. 21)."

I haven't edited that to fix the obvious flaws because it clearly doesn't provide the information you're looking for. As for "MA Marmot", that's M. A. Menzbier -- he has a marmot named after him but why Google Translate thinks he should be called "Marmot"... anyway that's a diversion from the topic at hand.

As for Harmash, that paper describes her as "Associate Professor of the Department of Ecology of Poltava National Technical University" but the university's website doesn't mention that it has a Department of Ecology any more. So there's another dead end.

However some googling (for her name) turned up a paper with this attribution (in English) at the end:

"Harmash Tatiana ([email protected]), candidate of agricultural sciences,
associate professor, department of the ecology, Kondratyuk Poltava National
Technical University"

That looks like a personal e-mail so you could conceivably ask her directly if she has a copy of that 1917 paper.

That looks like a personal e-mail so you could conceivably ask her directly if she has a copy of that 1917 paper.
Thanks again Paul, for your commitment, but that will be a task for James, as pereversievi is one of his "missing" ones. In this thread we´ve simply tried to help out with his list of the last unseen OD's.

In my MS there´s no-one (I´m glad to say) by that name.

We´ll see what Mr. Jobling does. ;)

Martin,
Yes, I may have been a bit previous with this one. Since Regalado Ruiz published his other names in Revista Forestal Baracoa, I assumed that rosamariae was also there described, and extrapolated dates for 1981. You are right, though. Who am I to doubt 007 and Storrs Olson!? Probably undoubtedly the name was never properly published, so I have amended HBWAlive Key accordingly.
James

Just to add what Bond wrote:

NEW SUBSPECIES FROM CUBA
During the past ten years several races of birds have been described
from cays off the north and south coasts of Camagüey
province. The descriptions were published in obscure journals,
and I am unable at present to give references to those from Cayo
Coca, apart from Torreornis inexpectata varonai mentioned in
the Twenty-fourth Supplement (1982, p. 12). The following have
come to my attention.
Melanerpes superciliosus cocoensis H. Garrido (Cayo Coco)
Xiphidiopicus percussus rosamariae Regalado Ruiz (Cayo
Coco)
Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado Ruiz (Cayo
Caballones, Jardines de la Reina, Revista Forestal, No.3, 1977,p. 36)
Contopus caribaeus fiorentinoi Regalado Rufz (Cayo
Anclitas, Jardines de la Reina, Rev. Forestal, Nos. 1-2, 1977,
p. 40).

So I think there is a chance that rosamariae might be as well in Revista Forestal, No.3, 1977, around p. 36. But the journal still is a mystery to me.

James, have you found The quarterly journal of the Calcutta Medical and Physical Society 1837; 1 (3), where the OD:s of ryanius ("Phasianus Ryanius") is supposed to be found? On p.322.

I´m simply asking because that journal wasn´t included in the short-list in your post #1, but ryanius is marked "dedication unseen " in today's HBW Alive Key ... ?

This also goes for:
cuculio
Etymology undiscovered; description unseen (McClelland 1837, Quart. Journ. Calcutta Med. Phys. Soc., 1 (iii), 322) (syn. Psittacula sp.) (cf. L. cucullus hood).
Where did you find that word?

The Richmond Cards have no Psittacus/Psittacula "cuculio" listed? And those cards lists quite a few names from that particular page! Including both: "Bucco cucullatus" and "Nectarina coccus"

Just curious ...

In any case; also see here (p.153), out of context, if that certain word "cuculio" could make any sence?

Björn

PS. However there is a butterfly by the name "Curculio psittacus" OLIVER 1807 (Curculio SPARRMAN 1785) ... ;)

The Richmond Cards have no Psittacus/Psittacula "cuculio" listed? And those cards lists quite a few names from that particular page! Including both: "Bucco cucullatus" and "Nectarina coccus"
The Richmond Index has a card for Palaeornis cuculio [here] from this same page; but the name is misspelt 'Palaeornis cuculo' on the Zoonomen website, e.g. [here], thus searching the website for cuculio is deemed to fail.
(Palaeornis Vigors 1825 is the genus that was prevailingly used for these birds for most of the 19th C. Mathews put an end to this when he designated 'Psittacula alexandri' as the type of Psittacula Cuvier 1800, which displaced Vigor's name. 'Psittacula' was back then attributed to Kuhl 1820 instead of Cuvier, and used for what we now call Forpus.)

McClelland article is named List of objects in natural history collected in Assam. It was reprinted in India Review some citations say vol. 1 which is online but I could not find it there. Other references say vol. II page 508 which is not online yet?

One less!

Journal of the Chosen Natural History Society. Keijo [= Seoul].
1927 Garrulus brandtii okai Momiyama, 4, p. 5

朝鮮博物學會雜誌 (Chōsen Hakubutsu Gakkai zasshi) = Journal of Chosen Natural History Society, vol. 3-24 (1924-1938) is found digitized in the National Library of Korea; here or here ... mostly, almost all, in Korean!

See first line: 한국관련외국어자료 - 상세정보 (blue bar to the left), Press first right hand link. And there they are!

Garrulus brandtii okai MOMIYAMA 1927 is found in vol 4: p.5 (digitized, p.7), or see attached excerpt!

Good luck understanding that one, James!

Björn
--

Attachments

• Garrulus brandtii okai.jpg
    Garrulus brandtii okai.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Without seeing ryanius in McClelland 1837 I believe it is named for Sir Edward Ryan, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Bengal between 1827 and 1842., and President of the Asaiatic Society of Bengal during 1836 1837 when McClelland published the name.

Could be Mark, I´ve been on the same path for a while regarding "Phasianus Ryanius" ...

Without having seen the OD I am guessing (nothing but guessing!) we´re dealing with Sir Edward Ryan (1793–1875), Chief Justice (in Calcutta from 1827 until 1843), President of the Asiatic Society of Bengal (1832-1841), etc. etc. ... i.e. this guy (here).

Also see the following links: here, here, here and here, as well as this Paper; by John Mathew. 2015. Edward Blyth, John M'Clelland, the curatorship of the Asiatic Society's collections and the origins of the Calcutta journal of natural history. Archives of natural history 42 (2): 265-278, here.

But still, whitout the OD ... it´s just a guess! Nothing more. Of course, it could commemorate a completely different person altogether ...

For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. The latter paper rises a question regarding Mr. McClelland (or M'Clelland), John McClelland himself ... ! Different year of his death. Also different birth year in other Papers! But let´s deal with that question in another thread (if anyone feellike starting it) ... !?

Let´s keep this thread free from that (what I suspect could be a looong) sidetrack, simply such as it was intended; for James´s last missing ones!
--

Last edited:
Better version than in #35 ...

Here (attached) is the full entry regarding Garrulus brandtii okai MOMIYAMA 1927 ...

Enjoy!
--

Attachments

• Garrulus brandtii okai .pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Yet another one less

Dōbutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tametomo Momiyama, 35, p. 412
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462 = CHECK!
Momiyama, T. T. 1940. Three new forms of Turdidae (Aves) from the Islands of Japan. Doubutsugaku zasshi 52(11): 462-464.

Now suddenly accessible here (or here)!

toratugumi
Turdus aureus toratugumi, subspecies nova.
(Japanese name: Toratugumi)
James, note Momiyama's spelling of the Japanese name versus "Tora-tsugumi" in today's HBW Alive Key.

miharagokko
Turdus aureus miharagokko, subspecies nova. 1)
(New Japanese name: Mihara-oratugumi)
(New Japanese name: Yaku-komadori)
[...]

ex Erithacus akahige tanensis (nec KURODA), KOBAYASHI, Tori, vi, no. 30, p. 359. 1930 ...
[...]
I express my thanks to Mr. K. KOBAYASHI in Kôbe, who lent me the rare specimens for my investigation, so this form is named after him.
Enjoy!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Björn,
Thanks for the extracts from Momiyama 1940. In Yamashina's 1961 (reprint 1974), Birds in Japan, pp. 185, 238, White's Thrush is called Tora-tsugumi or Tora Tsugumi. Tsugumi is the modern transliteration for a thrush.
All we need now are tametomo and djadja!
Carry on the good work.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back